Underlever VS Breakbarrel

On budget springers I think it can help with barrel droop. However even if you have barrel droop you can still have a very accurate gun. Most compensate by scope mount shims or rails with moa built into it or just use the scope turret to raise the point of impact. Barrel droop just means your shooting low and as long as it's consistently low you can adjust accordingly. Most springers now days are made well enough that this is not a issue. I have seen Indian and Chinese springers that have very loose lock ups. That definitely will affect accuracy. Other than that it's not really an issue. If you don't want to do the simple fixes for barrel droop a fixed barrel will solve that issue but I think barrel droop is blown out of proportion. 

Reactions: erock
generally .. out of the box accuracy will be better with a fixed barrel 'anything' over a break barrel ...a 760 pumpmaster shooting bb's out of a smooth bore is more accurate than most break barrels lol ...

Riiight! Show me a target.....
R9 target.1628280313.jpg

Having serviced springers for over 35 yrs I say for sure that both can be equally accurate if properly setup and adjusted!!! Some cheap breal barrels are out of adjustment when they are made, but most all good quality breakbarrels will be just as accurate. Over timeva break varrel may need some minor adjusting to keep barrel tension adjusted properly but that isca simple process. For ultra precision shooting then a fixed barrel might have an edge but for general shooting even field target competition there will be no noticible difference. I competed with both for many years and while my personal preference is a fixed barrel, my break barrel did just as well. I am refering to quality break barrels here, not cheap under a 100 dollar break barrels !!

Having serviced springers for over 35 yrs I say for sure that both can be equally accurate if properly setup and adjusted!!! Some cheap breal barrels are out of adjustment when they are made, but most all good quality breakbarrels will be just as accurate. Over timeva break varrel may need some minor adjusting to keep barrel tension adjusted properly but that isca simple process. For ultra precision shooting then a fixed barrel might have an edge but for general shooting even field target competition there will be no noticible difference. I competed with both for many years and while my personal preference is a fixed barrel, my break barrel did just as well. I am refering to quality break barrels here, not cheap under a 100 dollar break barrels !!

Probably accurate, especially this part-"if properly setup and adjusted!!!". Less that CAN shift should mean less that WILL shift, and that suggests an advantage to a fixed barrel. Either type can have barrel droop, but only a break barrel could experience shift based on lockup changes. Some "nuts" might not believe it, though.

Barrel droop has nothing to do with the precision of the rifle. If a break barrel has droop then you adjust for it one way or another. Hardly ever is a rifle and scope combination zeroed in from the start. Adjustments need to be made.

You can be just as accurate with either. It is about the shooter.

THAT is why I noted that "droop" isn't the concern. EITHER fixed or break barrel can have "droop". But a fixed barrel doesn't shift out of position on every shot, while a break barrel does. Can a shooter be just as accurate with either? Yes. Will the break barrel always be in the same position after closing as before cocking? Maybe, even probably. Some probably more so than others. But the fixed barrel will definitely be in the same position each time.

I have several of each, all considered to be among the best - Weihrauch 97s, Air Arms TX200s and ProSports in underlevers; HW98s, Beeman R9s, an HW80, an HW95, and Diana 56 and 48 side cocks.

All have been repowered and given special attention. Most have benefited greatly from Vortek kit installations.

My break barrels are fantastic rifles and will shoot consistently shoot sub 1/2” 10 shot groups at 20 yards, and 1” to 1 1/4” at 50 yards.

My three 97 underlever and 56 side cock rifles will shoot dead on out of the vault every time, and almost always .30” to .35” (even in .22) at 20 yards and sub 1” at 50 yards.

So I concur that the break barrel rifles can be extremely accurate and dependable, are lighter and more balanced to carry and hunt with, and are much easier and faster to load. But if all you care about is laser accuracy and an always on POI, give me a 97 every time, with a 98 or TX/Pro Sport very close seconds.

Unfortunately, I love them all and they all have a place and a role.

If the break barrel has the rear sights mounted on the barrel, there should be no difference in shot to shot accuracy, droop, lockup or whatever.

But if the rear sights (open, peep or scope) are mounted on the receiver of the break barrel, shot to shot differences could occur.

Regardless of whether it is a break barrel or fixed barrel, the pellet will go to the spot at which the muzzle is pointed!