Urgent Help! RTI leaks at this pin opposite of the regulator.

Urgent Help!

RTI leaks at this pin opposite of the regulator.
Excuse my ignorance, but the brief manual is not even telling me what that pin is or does... 🤦‍♂️
(See photo, my finger is pointing at it.)

Please, help if you can — I drove 2 hours, and set up my range for another hour and a half.....
Will I really have wasted all this time just because I don’t know how to stop the leak...?!

Thanks. 👍🏼

Specs: RTI Prophet 1 Compact Performance + .22cal

Matthias

20221010_201925.jpg

Last edited:
Yupp, tried adjusting the reg. Both ways. Nope.

Tried to wiggle the pin, even found an adjustable wrench in my field kit to try to turn it slightly. Nope. It changes the amount of hissing air escaping, but no stopping....

Scanned all webpages, Youtube, parts diagrams, but nope — no-one explains what that pin does....

I've got all night at my cow range, so, if you've got more suggestions — I appreciate them! 👍🏼

Matthias 😊

Yupp, tried adjusting the reg. Both ways. Nope.

Tried to wiggle the pin, even found an adjustable wrench in my field kit to try to turn it slightly. Nope. It changes the amount of hissing air escaping, but no stopping....

Scanned all webpages, Youtube, parts diagrams, but nope — no-one explains what that pin does....

I've got all night at my cow range, so, if you've got more suggestions — I appreciate them! 👍🏼

Matthias 😊
That pin bit that sticks out is mainly there to guide the main shaft and keep it concentric but as it is exposed to atmosphere it also partly cancels out the bottle pressure. The leak will be around that oring 15 in the diagram. Probably just that oring but also check the pin surface and the valve body oring recess.

Well, thanks to the very kind help of Orion Iguana Hunter I now know that the "pin" is part of the regulator assembly.

And thanks to him, I dared to open up the regulator.

So, here's the photo of what I found. It sure looks differnt than the diagrams....

🔸 Checking the o-rings — looking good. I put silicon on them, and carefully screwed it back together.
But it leaks as before. 😟 Through the tiny hole in the above mentioned pin.

■ I do have to say that in the process of increasing regulator pressure I turned the regulator bolt several turns in. However, the reg pressure only increase by about 15bar all in all.
Any clues if I might have broken something?

🔶 Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks!

Matthias

PS: I will keep the word "Urgent Help" in the title — because I promised a friend to infect him with the airgun virus day after tomorrow, Friday!
(Well, I might have worded it a bit different, like "Hey, do you want to go airgun shooting with me?" — but it's basically the same thing.) 😄

20221012_140157.jpg

Matthias, I don't know anything about regulators, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Express last night. (Sorry American TV commercial). Yorkie mentioned that where it is leaking is supposed to be "vented to atmosphere". It sounds to me like the large o-rings on either side are allowing air to leak into the chamber where it's only supposed to be atmospheric pressure to allow the regulator valve to function. Hope you get it sorted, let us know what you find.

So, Ken, you're saying that it might not be the regulator itself (photo) that's leaking somewhere — but a big oring of the whole assembly where it screws into the gun?

Matthias
Matthias, all of my understanding about inserting regulators into guns with tubes is that a hole has to be drilled to vent the regulator to atmosphere. Otherwise, the regulator will lock up. The vent hole to atmosphere on those type of regulators is between 2 large o-rings that seal the pressure on either side of the regulator from the vented atmospheric pressure. I'm guessing that it is either the o-rings that seal the main body on each end are leaking, or possibly an o-ring on the shaft or the end that seals when the set pressure is reached might be leaking. It appears from the drawing that there is a pressure gauge and/or a fill port also. Is it possible that the check valve is leaking if it has one on this part? Interested in possibly getting a Prophet eventually so following the thread.

The schematic of the regulator above is the old style . You have the new regulator in your gun. I just got done re Building the old style reg with no problems. Try cleaning everything very good. Replace the o-rings and lube. Was there only 3 washers in the reg? And Can you get a pic of the top of the reg where the shaft is. just wondering if there is a o-ring there.

Marco

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the tips. 😊

(1) Today I took out the regulator pieces again and voila — I did miss one part that was still hidden in the housing. Thanks, Scotty1! 👍🏼

20221013_142427.jpg

(2) Then I started matching up o-rings and noting down sizes. (The o-ring sizes in the photo are not the official sizes from RTI, but what I had on hand from the previous owner, and then I supplemented from my other o-ring stock.)

20221013_145851.jpg

20221013_145930.jpg

(3) Then I replaced all the o-rings, thanks Orion for the suggestion. 👍🏼

🔶 RESULTS:

(4)
The huge leak — through the tiny hole in the "pin" (the outside end of the regulator stem) is stopped up. GREAT!
➔ YES! I can go shooting tomorrow with my friend! 😊

(5) The guns still looses air — like the first time I filled it when I purchased it. Around 1bar every minute, 40bar in half an hour.
➔ I will have to continue monkeying with this. Now it's time to do to a proper investigation — where is it leaking?

(6) Formerly , when I received the gun, I assumed a medium setting on the regulator.
▪ I had increased it (clockwise) by half a turn. That had resulted in 120bar.
▪ I then turned it about three full turns (in steps) — and only got up to 130bar. The reg seemed to require large adjustments ➔ ?? 🤔
▪ Now, I backed out the regulator adjusting bolt (ccw) so that is just puts on a bit of tension on the reg spring.
And the gauge reads 160bar! ➔ What?? 🤔

(7) While I was at it, I got the leaking Skyhawk fixed as well. I feel like an airgun engineer!
(For about a second, until I read what others do with their guns... — I compare to them like Bubba fixing a bicycle tire to a Dr. Space Engineer fine tuning a booster rocket of the Space Shuttle. 🤣)

➔ So, all set for tomorrow to let the lead fly! 😄

Matthias

Reactions: JohanG
Thank you for all the tips. 😊

(1) Today I took out the regulator pieces again and voila — I did miss one part that was still hidden in the housing. Thanks, Scotty1! 👍🏼

View attachment 297475

(2) Then I started matching up o-rings and noting down sizes. (The o-ring sizes in the photo are not the official sizes from RTI, but what I had on hand from the previous owner, and then I supplemented from my other o-ring stock.)

View attachment 297476

View attachment 297477

(3) Then I replaced all the o-rings, thanks Orion for the suggestion. 👍🏼

🔶 RESULTS:

(4)
The huge leak — through the tiny hole in the "pin" (the outside end of the regulator stem) is stopped up. GREAT!
➔ YES! I can go shooting tomorrow with my friend! 😊

(5) The guns still looses air — like the first time I filled it when I purchased it. Around 1bar every minute, 40bar in half an hour.
➔ I will have to continue monkeying with this. Now it's time to do to a proper investigation — where is it leaking?

(6) Formerly , when I received the gun, I assumed a medium setting on the regulator.
▪ I had increased it (clockwise) by half a turn. That had resulted in 120bar.
▪ I then turned it about three full turns (in steps) — and only got up to 130bar. The reg seemed to require large adjustments ➔ ?? 🤔
▪ Now, I backed out the regulator adjusting bolt (ccw) so that is just puts on a bit of tension on the reg spring.
And the gauge reads 160bar! ➔ What?? 🤔

(7) While I was at it, I got the leaking Skyhawk fixed as well. I feel like an airgun engineer!
(For about a second, until I read what others do with their guns... — I compare to them like Bubba fixing a bicycle tire to a Dr. Space Engineer fine tuning a booster rocket of the Space Shuttle. 🤣)

➔ So, all set for tomorrow to let the lead fly! 😄

Matthias
Sir, you have something going wrong in your reg. To add 10b I just need half turn, when settled on high pressures (from 140 to 150, e.g.). Now, before doing everything else, please check your bleeding screw and your plenum cap (if you have the plenum's extension), and their o-rings.