• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

USPS Money Orders - IMO Do Not Accept Unless

I don't see the problem, I never ship the gun or bow or anything else until I cashed the Money Order, so I see no problems really for the seller.
Here's the problem. If the money order you cash is later determined fraudulent, the bank will receive it back as a return item, and your account can be charged for it. At that point, your only avenue of recourse is against the scammer.

Here's the problem. If the money order you cash is later determined fraudulent, the bank will receive it back as a return item, and your account can be charged for it. At that point, your only avenue of recourse is against the scammer.
Just go straigth to the Post office,...case solved.

Reactions: baranjhn
Bitcoin.

Zero risk as a Seller.

No waiting for a check.
No worrying about if it's fake once it arrives.
No worry about a chargeback.
No worry about Paypal or Venmo scams.
Get your money in less than an hour, in most cases under 10min.

Bitcoin is the future. Embrace it or get left behind.
Mehh, I'm happy to be left behind

Like to deal in cash and if I'm forced ( like now ) I will use PayPal

I can't speak for the post office, however, every state has laws to protect their banks. No matter what the scam, the bank always gets there money, but us consumers are the ones that loose !! Same with health ins companies, they require any state they operate in to have laws where consumers cannot sue them for any type of fraud or malpractice.
If a post office will cash your money order then great...I did not know they offered that option...

Reactions: oledawg
I accidently sent a .$100. USPS MO to a natoriouse AGN fraudster now sence banned here. Crazy thing is I just got ripped by him then I go & send a freakin USPS MO to him that supposed to go to another. Thing is that it was sent to his fake name he used on AGN, then he forged over top of entire USPS MO & cashed at bank. I paid for Federal inquire & thats how I found out who this person realy was. I gave copy of all of it to AGN & it was added to his mile long list of fake names etc...You would think USPS would just send me another chexk. Nope....they only care about the forgery & not my money. Thankfully it was only $100.
Joe

Reactions: oledawg
I tend to old school, & have bought and sold several Airguns and accessories on this forum and the Airgun warriors over the years using USPMO orders, never had a problem. It Does take longer to mail it and wait for it to clear, but it’s worked great for me. I have had issues with PayPal on 2 occasions resulting in getting rid of it all together. For me it’s USPMO for buying and selling used, or face to face transaction in cash. I do know there are a few dealers that still will take USPMO’s as payment for purchases too.

I accidently sent a .$100. USPS MO to a natoriouse AGN fraudster now sence banned here. Crazy thing is I just got ripped by him then I go & send a freakin USPS MO to him that supposed to go to another. Thing is that it was sent to his fake name he used on AGN, then he forged over top of entire USPS MO & cashed at bank. I paid for Federal inquire & thats how I found out who this person realy was. I gave copy of all of it to AGN & it was added to his mile long list of fake names etc...You would think USPS would just send me another chexk. Nope....they only care about the forgery & not my money. Thankfully it was only $100.
Joe
Generally, the bank is responsible for verifying the identity of the payee/endorser, which is why they usually will not cash a third-party check. In this case, it seems that the bank would be liable to USPS if it cashed a check for someone other than the payee. The bank would then reimburse USPS, and you should get a refund. The bank's recourse is to the crook. Maybe I misunderstood the situation.

Generally, the bank is responsible for verifying the identity of the payee/endorser, which is why they usually will not cash a third-party check. In this case, it seems that the bank would be liable to USPS if it cashed a check for someone other than the payee. The bank would then reimburse USPS, and you should get a refund. The bank's recourse is to the crook. Maybe I misunderstood the situation.
I think you have it right. You would think forging a USPS MO would be more serious than a normal check & I certainly hope so. I despise thieves.
Joe

The sad part about this....look at how many scammers are out there now !! Back in the days when I was running my airgun business (90's thru 20's) I never had issues like this. With the hundreds of guns tuned, I only had one bad check in 25 years! And people were sending personal checks ....Does this speak of todays society ? I know crime is skyrocketing, but...what has society comming to ?

The sad part about this....look at how many scammers are out there now !! Back in the days when I was running my airgun business (90's thru 20's) I never had issues like this. With the hundreds of guns tuned, I only had one bad check in 25 years! And people were sending personal checks ....Does this speak of todays society ? I know crime is skyrocketing, but...what has society comming to ?
I think some it comes from opportunity. Technology in scanning, printers and editing software and availability of variety of papers have made it possible to copy and manipulate most anything. If they get a check with a signature they can scan it change the payee and amount. I had lots of conversations with clients complaining that a check was returned 6 to 12 months after deposit and unfortunately they are the losers not the banks like others have stated. Even if they can’t get the money back they will hit the clients credit report then take the loss as a write off.

While it may sound counterintuitive, I believe accepting a personal check may as safe as any form of payment. Through telephone conversation, and some simple photo verification of identity, I believe you can gain a comfort level with your buyer, and it's easy to verify the check with the bank. It requires a bit more work on your end as seller, but sometimes accepting a quick deal based on some "official" form of payment is a false security, playing right into the hands of certain scammers.

While it may sound counterintuitive, I believe accepting a personal check may as safe as any form of payment. Through telephone conversation, and some simple photo verification of identity, I believe you can gain a comfort level with your buyer, and it's easy to verify the check with the bank. It requires a bit more work on your end as seller, but sometimes accepting a quick deal based on some "official" form of payment is a false security, playing right into the hands of certain scammers.
Agree, with personal check you just wait until cleared and you golden,....I alway offer the personal check route and myself use it if the seller is OK with it.