Varmint Knocker 22gr XLHPs

I've been testing these in my Taipan Veteran Long and I think I might have finally found my slug. Accuracy seems fantastic and no flyers. Settled at around 815-820fps. Tried higher but was opening up at a bunch of different speeds. Nice thing is it's my same tune for my JTS 18gr so only need to change scope settings and it's rock and roll. Had little time but wanted to see what they would do on pests. Here's a starling I hit at 80yds. As can see the damage is excellent! I will probably stock up on these.
20240815_072302.jpg

I've been testing these in my Taipan Veteran Long and I think I might have finally found my slug. Accuracy seems fantastic and no flyers. Settled at around 815-820fps. Tried higher but was opening up at a bunch of different speeds. Nice thing is it's my same tune for my JTS 18gr so only need to change scope settings and it's rock and roll. Had little time but wanted to see what they would do on pests. Here's a starling I hit at 80yds. As can see the damage is excellent! I will probably stock up on these.View attachment 488589
Sweet! I love those 22gr xlhp, they are solid poppers!

Here’s something interesting. I put my Taipan standard on slugs for about a year. My buddy made some 22gr slugs that didn’t work out for him. So I sized them and tried them in my Taipan. Had to turn up the reg and get a truck spring for the hammer but the gun was crazy accurate. Printed many firearm like groups at 100 with it. Guess what speed? Yep, 835fps. Took the gun off slugs because I didn’t want to speed up the process of having to build a replacement valve for it. At least you can do it on your pellet tune so the gun will be none the wiser. Now all you have left to do is monitor how many shots until accuracy drops off.

Here’s something interesting. I put my Taipan standard on slugs for about a year. My buddy made some 22gr slugs that didn’t work out for him. So I sized them and tried them in my Taipan. Had to turn up the reg and get a truck spring for the hammer but the gun was crazy accurate. Printed many firearm like groups at 100 with it. Guess what speed? Yep, 835fps. Took the gun off slugs because I didn’t want to speed up the process of having to build a replacement valve for it. At least you can do it on your pellet tune so the gun will be none the wiser. Now all you have left to do is monitor how many shots until accuracy drops off.
The great thing about VK slugs is that they will still expand immensily even in the low 700fps range. They may not explode but they will pancake.

Reactions: Ranchibi
I'm curious what speeds everyone is running these .22 grainxlhp from dale ?
I was told to try 965fps. And they seem fine around there anyone else going that fast or finding low 800s work as well?
Yup, I uave shot them as low as 770fps and as fast as 1020. 920-980 is the sweet spot for max expansion in my experience. You can shoot lower velocisotes and still get fantastic accuracy it's just not going to expand as much, but that's fine because it will still pancake as slow as 730ish fps.

Reactions: oneshot61