Air Venturi Venture into PCP. Tell how bad i am doing.

There are a huge number of supportive folks here. I have loved my TX200 and don't envision it ever leaving. I have loved it's accuracy.

I am an avid pb rimfire person as well. My Annie and CZs have filled that void. Alas my ancient Mossberg has as well. It is amazing.

So it seemed fitting, as I felt I was missing out, that I enter the PCP domain.

I love .177 so I stayed there. The Avenge-X seemed a good entry into this world. Base model for opening the door. It seems to have a fair bit of tweakability, like my CZ's, but I also realize it is not my Annie. I have a compressor and bottle are on the way with the X. Both Air Venturi.

So what am I about to hate about my decision? Let us get it over with.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. With pb you are restricted to the powder you can afford. Freedom comes when the power to propel the projectile comes with the cost of electricity!! Soon you will look for more expensive but not necessarily better airguns. Then you discover they also come in semi auto and full auto. There are also assisted valves and hammerless valves!. Dont forget about electronic valves! Traditional rifles, carbines and bullpups that are wonderful to shoot!!!

Poison laid. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::alien::devilish:

There are a huge number of supportive folks here. I have loved my TX200 and don't envision it ever leaving. I have loved it's accuracy.

I am an avid pb rimfire person as well. My Annie and CZs have filled that void. Alas my ancient Mossberg has as well. It is amazing.

I love .177 so I stayed there. The Avenge-X seemed a good entry into this world. Base model for opening the door. It seems to have a fair bit of tweakability, like my CZ's, but I also realize it is not my Annie. I have a compressor and bottle are on the way with the X. Both Air Venturi.

As previously stated, welcome to the Rabbit Hole® Odds are somewhere along the line you'll start getting bigger, you'll think about slugs, then longer distances and at some point you'll wonder "what the H did I get myself into". Then...one day....the sun shines the birds sing and everything just works.

Reactions: drpietrzak
I prefer .22 for the BC and NSA slugs seem to work best in my gun. Are you limited to 12 Ft.Lb.?

No, I am not. I like .177 so far and consistently get good results of just at or under 1" at 50-yards using my TX200. My TX200 is at about 13 fpe to 16fpe now. It is "timed" with a spacer up in a little. I get about 3" to 6" groups at 100-yards with it regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
I am up to 6 pcps now. A first generation Avenger was my second. The only thing that causes it to stay sitting while I shoot other guns is it's length. My bullpups are over a foot shorter. But my avenger is accurate and powerful. Some like longer guns and if you do it is a great choice, especially starting out.

177 versus other calibers is a bit different. I have one 177, a P35 (bullpup), 3 22s and two 25s. I may buy another 177 next. I've found it takes small game (squirrels) cleanly if the placement is decent and it works for target shooting. I get more shots per fill with the 177 which is nice. But it is significantly more wind sensitive than 22s and 25s in my experience. I like to try to shoot 200s at the 30 yard challenge and the 22s, in particular, work better for me at that. But I've shot a 197 with my 177 it just takes really low wind or me guessing really well. The 22s and 25s also kill squirrels a bit quicker and have more penetration if you need to kills something bigger.

5 of my 6 PCPs cost less than $500 apiece and 1 cost $1400. The more expensive one is a Air Maks Caiman. It arrived with issues that are resolved now. It is quite accurate but not more so than the best of my less expensive guns. It is machined better and that is nice but I struggle with whether that is worth another almost $1000. Functionally the more expensive gun isn't really giving me anything the less expensive don't provide. So I think starting with something like an Avenger is a great way to start. Nothing wrong with trying a more expensive gun and seeing if you prefer that. But also nothing wrong with deciding to stay in the sub $500 price range. There are a lot of guns there and some are really nice guns. I recommend a bullpup next and specifically a Stoeger Bullshark or SPA P35. They are almost the same gun. I'd also recommend a 22. But there are lots of good ways to go. The biggest thing you gain with the bullpup is the reduced length. The biggest drawback is the scope height. It makes me hold over out to over 20 yards.

Your passion for shooting is evident, as is mine. But is there a downside? Beyond the firearm itself, complexities arise, especially with big bores or any PCP lacking a built-in regulator. It seems you're on the right track with a quality PCP and air tank to begin your adventure. However, always be mindful of the high air pressure involved and handle it with care.

I have an Avenge-X .177 cal & it’s a great shooting gun. My only complaint is the magazines will cut the o-rings on the probe. I switched to Marauder magazines that work just fine but like Maple Custom Products mags much better. I’m going out on a limb here & say that your going to be happy with you purchase & entry into the PCP rabbit hole. 6 months ago I didn’t own any now I have at least 6.

Your passion for shooting is evident, as is mine. But is there a downside? Beyond the firearm itself, complexities arise, especially with big bores or any PCP lacking a built-in regulator. It seems you're on the right track with a quality PCP and air tank to begin your adventure. However, always be mindful of the high air pressure involved and handle it with care.

I probably shouldn't have gotten the tank. I am not sure I have a way to fill it.

Nice to hear you are adventurous ! possibly you will like it and just as possible you will not like it . PCP just like your Annie you just shoot (once you air up ) cock ,load ,shoot / do again . not as much time to think between shots as with a TX200 , pick up /cock/ load/ return lever/ set back on bag /aim/shoot.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

istockphoto-1094439788-612x612.jpg

So the rifle and parafinala arrived today. The scope is now mounted. I will start with a Vortex Crossfire II in 6 to 18 as I already had it on the shelf. It is the smallest scope I have and lowest power. But it will be a good test platform without buying another until I figure this out. High rings so the 2 magazines can be used. It is the base model rifle btw.

Rovair compressor came as well. It was easy to set up and use. The rifle was sent at 1000 psi, which appears shipping pressure. It did not take long to fill the rifle and it did not seem to strain to get there. However, just to be cautious I stopped at 3000 psi to let it cool before proceedings. It didn't seem hot at anytime though. But what do I know! The packing box looks like a nice portable system for now as well.

I fired one AA 10.3 pellet through it into my indoor pellet trap. It did what was supposed to. So I packed it away for my next chance to get to the range. I hope that is the next day or so.