Vevo Compressor - Successful Jerry Rig (w/ Disclaimer)

DISCLAIMER: The following jerry rig runs the compressor without a burst disk. Could there be some sort of catastrophic failure? Probably. So if you attempt this jerry rig wear eye protection and gird your loins, m'kay.

See below is my unit. The issue was repeated burst disk failures and no pressure. This jerry rig is by discussion only, there's no more pictures because I already put the lid back on, but see the link below for other photos and discussion. The tools used are metric wrenches, silicone oil (not mineral based), a soldering iron or torch, solder, pipe cleaners, and paper towels or rags.

First, unplug it, take off the burst disk nut, remove the failed burst disk, remove the vent screw (you can leave on the fill nut), take off the lid (I put it back on with only the two top screws), be careful not to break the wires when you open it up.

Then I made a deadhead nut of the burst disk nut (this is where the disclaimer comes in). Of course just use a regular nut if you have one, I didn't. So I cleaned and dried the nut, made sure there was no oil on it. Then I heated it up with a triple flame cigar lighter, then used solder and applied it into the void, really heated that sucker up and filled it with solder. Then I let it sit for ten minutes to cool down, you don't want a cold solder joint, so just let it mellow. Then it was screwed back in so there's no more ruptured disks.

But why wasn't it making pressure? I did the soap bubble thing last week but found nothing. And there's some kind of valve with a spring in there somewhere, there was an extra one with the unit, it was changed last week, the unit worked for five minutes then failed, that's when I gave up before this jerry rig. So now, see the barrel with the piston inside, atop that is a v-shaped copper tube with two 10mm nuts. Be careful and get those nuts loose, they're torqued on pretty good, so don't strip them. And don't break them putting them back on. So remove that tube and if there's grease on the ends, wipe it off, then run a pipe cleaner through the tube. And don't use any kind of solvent cleaner here, it'll explode when you run the compressor, use silicone oil if need be. Then you'll see two holes where that tube goes, I dribbled a few drops of silicone oil in each hole. Then I put the tube back on, be careful not to strip anything, torque it down moderately. I didn't remove the other copper tube, but maybe you'll have to at some point.

So now's the fun part of charging it up to see if it holds pressure, and to clean out the oily crud that'll follow. So I stuffed some rolled up paper towels in the fill hole and the vent hole and turned it on. I let it run for a few minutes as some oily crud came out, it was dark and smelled of silicone oil, I changed the towels a few times until no more crud. Then I hooked up the fill hose with the tampon filter, be sure that's on the unit side, with a deadhead on the other end, then tighten the vent screw. Lo and behold it built pressure and shut off at 3000 PSI. Then I put paper towels around the vent screw and loosened it, more oily crud came out. I repeated that process a bunch of times, until no more oily crud came out. When I looked at the tampon filter, it was dirty and was changed.

So that's about the gist of it, now it's making 300 bar with no problems, I'm back on the firing line. Maybe the copper tubes just needed to be cleaned out? Or maybe the piston rings were dry and needed a shot of silicone oil? Whatever, I'm just grateful that I can get back to slaying bunnies.

LINK: Here's a link to a previous thread on this unit with some great interior photos by Airslave, thank you: https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...th-this-vevor-compressor.1200918/post-1202188

DSCN0124.JPG

Last edited:
Is this the replacement compressor you got from Amazon for the first one? Or did you manage to fix the first one?

The replacement (GX Mini) was no good, didn't work even once. This one is still working, but the 110/12V power supply went out, so I'm running it on my yard tractor battery, which has a trickle charger attached to it all the time.