Video - Hyrax Hunting in the mountains of South Africa

I really enjoy shooting dassies, and spend a few afternoons out after them every trip. Like Guinea pigs with fangs. One of my friends properties has a lot of rugged rock formations and they are pretty well educated, but that makes them a big challange. Theres another place where they mix in with meerkats and I like watching the former and shooting the latter. Going to be out in Aug/Sept filming a few segments of American Airgunner and will deffinately getting some footage of these guys! BTW, Good video!

"Prouzy"As usual, great video, Matt! Looks like the greater challenge is claiming your prize! Did you say these are edible? Interesting animal for sure. 

Chris
Hi Chris

Yip they are edible:) I usually don't eat them myself as the farm workers LOVE them and need the food more than I do. Most of the rural farm workers are living in extreme poverty and any kind of meat is a luxury. The smile on their faces when you give them the meat is worth far more than the hunting experience itself!

Matt

Reactions: EXZIVER
"jimreed1948"I like the tripod use for the rifle near the end. I have just started using one and it makes a lot of difference in holding the rifle steady. Keep up the good work.
Hi Jim

The last few times I've used a bipod, but find it very difficult to get to the angle I need to shoot the dassies further up the cliff. The tripod did the job perfectly!

Matt

"echochap"I really enjoy shooting dassies, and spend a few afternoons out after them every trip. Like Guinea pigs with fangs. One of my friends properties has a lot of rugged rock formations and they are pretty well educated, but that makes them a big challange. Theres another place where they mix in with meerkats and I like watching the former and shooting the latter. Going to be out in Aug/Sept filming a few segments of American Airgunner and will deffinately getting some footage of these guys! BTW, Good video!
Thanks Jim

They are definitely one of my favourites! I think the terrain they live in is one of the reasons I enjoy hunting them. As you say they become very well educated if hunted regularly. They will leave a "sentry" on duty to keep watch for predators, and if it spots you it will make an alarm sound - Then the rest will disappear down their holes for the next few hours and you'll be sitting there waiting:)

If you pass through Port Elizabeth while you're in SA give me a shout and I might be able to organize an Egyptian Goose hunt for you. There is a property only 15 minutes from the airport that is begging me to come sort out a massive goose problem (The geese eat the horse feed and poop in the water supply. 2 Horses dead already from diseases carried by the geese). My .22 cal guns limit me to headshots but I think you would have an absolute ball with some of your more powerful rifles.

Matt

"Matt_Dubber"
"Prouzy"As usual, great video, Matt! Looks like the greater challenge is claiming your prize! Did you say these are edible? Interesting animal for sure. 

Chris
Hi Chris

Yip they are edible:) I usually don't eat them myself as the farm workers LOVE them and need the food more than I do. Most of the rural farm workers are living in extreme poverty and any kind of meat is a luxury. The smile on their faces when you give them the meat is worth far more than the hunting experience itself!

Matt
Matt

Great video, but even better is helping out those rural farm workers! Good for you!!

"Matt_Dubber"
Hi Chris

Matt
Thats great Matt. Even here, the food shelters will accept game to help feed the community. It certainly does enhance the experience for sure! 

Chris