N/A Vintage air rifles

I'm new to this forum. Is there a specific subforum for discussing vintage air rifles? I have a Webley MK1 Service Rifle with acid etched markings and really need experts to guide me on how to clean/restore it. Yes, I know, I might have the only example in the US. I happened on it at local gun store in So Cal a few years ago. It was sitting by a couple Perazzis and, for some reason, it just spoke to me and told me to take it home. I wasn't interested in the $50,000 shotguns but this air rifle just had to go home with me. I had no idea what I was buying at the time. Now that I know, I want some guidance on how to proceed with it.

I'm new to this forum. Is there a specific subforum for discussing vintage air rifles? I have a Webley MK1 Service Rifle with acid etched markings and really need experts to guide me on how to clean/restore it. Yes, I know, I might have the only example in the US. I happened on it at local gun store in So Cal a few years ago. It was sitting by a couple Perazzis and, for some reason, it just spoke to me and told me to take it home. I wasn't interested in the $50,000 shotguns but this air rifle just had to go home with me. I had no idea what I was buying at the time. Now that I know, I want some guidance on how to proceed with it.
Welcome my friend i think you just make a post people hit you up

Reactions: Bandito
Rest easy, there are plenty of old airguns hanging about in the US, including even Webley Mk 1's!

The Gateway to Airguns "Vintage Airgun Gate" is great (Treefrog's link just above).

Some hard-core collectors/restorers/etc hang out at the American Vintage Airguns site:

The UK BBS forum's "Collectable airguns" sub-forum is even better if you're dealing with a British airgun:

can you post a picture ?
Stan in KY .

I looked it up. That's a very interesting airgun! Steampunk in design way before that was considered cool.

webley-mk1-rifle-e.jpg

Cheers,

J~

It basically works the same way as the classic Webley pistols - the piston is cocked by a front-hinged barrel on top of the receiver tube, and moves rearward when fired.

IMG_0861.jpeg

The succeeding Mk 2 Service rifle is a similar but somewhat bigger and more advanced design, with interchangeable barrels, bolt-action breech lock, and both open and peep sights built-in. Also rare, but much more common than the Mk 1 (and even steam-punkier looks-wise).

Last edited:
It basically works the same way as the classic Webley pistols - rearward-moving piston, cocked by front-hinged barrel on top.

View attachment 486431

The succeeding Mk 2 Service rifle is a similar but somewhat bigger and more advanced design, with interchangeable barrels, bolt-action breech lock, and both open and peep sights built-in. Also rare, but much more common than the Mk 1 (and even steam-punkier looks-wise).

That's interesting. I've had a Tempest since the early '80's.

Reactions: Bandito
If you want to sell yours I know another guy wants to buy one. I can PM how to contact him and you can work the value with him.
Maybe someone can tell you Blue Book for some idea of value.
I know what the approximate value (at auction) was in the UK about 5 years ago. I'm just wondering if it's worth sending to a UK auction house IF I decide to part with it.

Nice! Things that make you say Hmmm, bet there is some serious history inside that little gun. If only it could talk.

I'm thinking the men that designed it wore suits with ties, bowler hats and carried umbrellas. Gin was the preferred tonic at the time.

Cheers,

J~

Last edited:
I'm thinking the men that designed it wore suits with ties, bowler hats and carried umbrellas. Gin was the prefferred tonic at the time.

Cheers,

J~
I've always thought the Webley rifles, especially the Mk 2, looked like the result of a bunch of hardcore old-school machinists, all in a room together trying to out-do each other! Compared to the elegant BSA underlevers of the day they have a "designed by committee" look to 'em, but up close the details are astonishing.

Reactions: Treefrog