FWB Wanted - FWB Sport Tune details and results

Hi all

First off - this thread is about the modern FWB Sport, not the classic 124/127 rifles.

Since there are few Sports but many that needed a tune when new (and because I'm about to tune one...) I'd like it if those who have already been down this road would list what they did/compo ents used and what the final results were.

I'm going to make up a spring guide for both the OEM spring anI for a Titan #1 spring, and use a Vortek piston seal. I'll start with the Titan spring as it should shoot much softer, though I'm hoping that I don't drop below 12fpe. I may. As it is (stock everything) it's harsh and extremely hold sensitive.

If that doesn't do it for me, I'll go back to the OEM spring but with a tight spring guide.
I know that many have clipped a couple of coils from the OEM spring, and I'm guessing the #1 won't be too much different than that.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: bf1956
Hi all

First off - this thread is about the modern FWB Sport, not the classic 124/127 rifles.

Since there are few Sports but many that needed a tune when new (and because I'm about to tune one...) I'd like it if those who have already been down this road would list what they did/compo ents used and what the final results were.

I'm going to make up a spring guide for both the OEM spring anI for a Titan #1 spring, and use a Vortek piston seal. I'll start with the Titan spring as it should shoot much softer, though I'm hoping that I don't drop below 12fpe. I may. As it is (stock everything) it's harsh and extremely hold sensitive.

If that doesn't do it for me, I'll go back to the OEM spring but with a tight spring guide.
I know that many have clipped a couple of coils from the OEM spring, and I'm guessing the #1 won't be too much different than that.

Thanks in advance!
I’d start with Vortek seal and full factory spring with your custom guide. You might be surprised with just that.

I replaced flat-faced factory seal with concave-faced Vortek seal. That change alone eliminated harsh stop to piston travel. Only other change was to tar original guide and that eliminated buzzing (for now). Quite pleasant to shoot, steady for a springer off a soft rest. Getting 14 fpe.

With custom guide you should be smoother still. Start minimal changes and evaluate. Change something else only if needed. Make a number of changes at once you really don’t know what added and what subtracted from what you are after.

My Sport shot fine out of the box. But for future reference, which Vortek piston seal fits the Sport?

Vortek on left, original on right. Original shows signs of impact at end of stroke.

IMG_6073.jpeg

Depending on how the seal sits on the piston it looks like the Vortek has a deeper valley which
may eliminate the piston slam marks.
Haven’t disassembled to look nonetheless harsh piston stop with original, not so with Vortek. Seal height at lip same as original with face of Vortek recessed, also much tighter push-on fit to piston. The concave face does make a difference. Not sure how the lip will hold up taking the brunt. Doing well so far after 1200 rounds. Will have to see how long it lasts.

Haven’t disassembled to look nonetheless harsh piston stop with original, not so with Vortek. Seal height at lip same as original with face of Vortek recessed, also much tighter push-on fit to piston. The concave face does make a difference. Not sure how the lip will hold up taking the brunt. Doing well so far after 1200 rounds. Will have to see how long it lasts.
Did you do any size fitting on the piston seal ?