Warning-pcp airguns are not a hobby, they are an addiction.

I anguished nearly a month trying to make a final selection for my first pcp air rifle. I set a $1000 limit on myself , that was what I could use to get the rifle itself , tax and must have accessories were not included in the 1k limit. I choose the AEA megalodon, I probably drove a particular owner of an airgun shop about half crazy most likely going back and forth between several different models he had in stock. So far at least I’m ecstatically happy with the AEA rifle to spite a few horror stories I’ve heard since purchasing the Meg. I got a scope that was reduced in price that was the wrong choice for me personally for that specific rifle. It did however go with my .17 hmr very well though. i got a small tuxing compressor that I used nearly every single day since the day it was delivered. A screw in the top bearing of the linkage that connects electric motor to compressor unit started coming loose causing linkage to bind and break motor shaft. A Yong Heng and a 6.8 liter carbon fiber bottle with a fill regulator and 36 inch braided stainless steel high pressure fill line was my solution to the broken tuxing. I put a lpvo type scope on the rifle since I didn’t like the one that came with it. Something discontinued made by Bushnell, it works well on the rifle. All that isn’t counting the ammo I’ve already went through, I started plinking with .495 round lead ball ammo and I can do that for .12 cent a shot which isn’t bad. Oh, and I can’t leave out the Lead Sled 3 I got the other day , not for recoil of course, just wanted an adjustable good solid something to hold the rifles when zeroing or shooting groups. I will say when I was assembling the new lead sled I was having doubts it was going to do what I wanted it to do. I found a 25 pound barbell weight to go on the sled as it was designed to use barbell weights, placed that on it and was impressed at how solidly it holds whatever rifle you place in it. I had to get a decent bore sight because of all the scope switching around. once I swore to myself I would never buy or use a laser range finder, guess what I own now….a Hawke 800LRF. I have never added all that up and probably won’t so I don’t have to know how much I’ve put into this by now and it’s not even been 6 months since I placed that first order. I’m having too much fun now to worry about how much it’s costing, that would just ruin part of the fun, who needs savings anyway. I think it’s time to add a smaller caliber rifle now, something regulated I think. I think I’m going to go with 25 caliber and that is about how much I know at this minute. I would consider anything anyone on here has some experience with and found reasonably accurate and dependable. If I start randomly looking at them I will never decide on just one of them. So I figured this was probably the best place to get recommendations based on actual ownership and not a desire to sell. Any input will be much appreciate. Happy Shooting!

I bought an FX first in .25. Then came many pellets. Then was a Daystate/Coltri compressor and a carbonfiber tank. Then the son wanted an FX so I bought his R5M and scope. Then came a prod and mrod. The Impact had a new iteration, so I had the old one altered to add a larger plenum and of course the slug barrel. Another PCP this time a pistol from Diana/RWS. .... BUT I am NOT ADDICTED TO PCPs. Be Well Brothers, 'dito.

Yeah you're going to be spending a lot of money. When I first got into PCP, I put a limit on myself too. I bought a Hatsan Sortie and a couple AEA guns. Then I went a little higher and got a Benjamin bulldog which I still absolutely love. Now I have 2 Huben's, a western rattler, a Seneca double shot, it's a hell of an addiction 🤣

Reactions: sekiar and Bandito
.22 is probably the most versatile caliber on air in terms of ammo price, selection, and ease of shooting slugs. You can setup a good .22 cal to make between 12 and 50 fpe, and anything in between, not many other calibers are that diverse without a very loopy trajectory throughout the power curve, while .22 ammo can get down to 14 gr, it can go up to 36+ and 80 fpe if you're really ambitious.

.25 cal is great especially if you're looking for more edge without getting too pricey on ammo and sacrificing muzzle report for energy. A good 25 cal can be modestly tuned to 20~ fpe with 20 grains or one could really push them towards 60-70 fpe with 34 grain pellets, beyond that, you'd need a very powerful .25 to push more power, you can get slugs upwards of 48-50+ gr and push 100 fpe if you're really ambitious in this caliber.

I have 2 pcp's that can do barrel changes from .177/.22/.25 with their respective barrels, a compressor, a hand pump, going on 9 years experience and a ton of ammo and have no more than $3k into the hobby.

Enjoy your journey!

-Matt

Reactions: brandanbooth
Started off with a Barra 1100z. Not impressive. Moved on to a UX Gauntlet 2 .25. Horrible piece of crap that only lasted 3 weeks and UX's warranty department was quite useless. Got a Notos for plinking and I will say it's very accurate yet under powered for anything past 50 yards. Next was the Airacuda Max in .22. Very accurate out to 65 yards. Then ordered a Rainson Edge .25 that disappointed significantly. Couldn't get it to shoot any better than 850 fps. It got returned after a week. Finally I got a Daystate Redwolf Safari HP .25. Shoots like a laser and quite pleased with it. Been shooting about 1200 pellets a week through it.
Rabbit hole? What rabbit hole?🤣

I will say if you plan on making this a true hobby, and you think you're really going to get into it, just spend the money now and get you a good gun. I spent way too much money buying cheap guns that weren't doing what I wanted them to do and I ended up spending money on good guns anyway. Once you shoot something like a Huben K1 or Edgun Leshiy, you won't want to go back to something like an AEA. For somebody who just wants to shoot some cans in their backyards a cheap gun will do, but if you want to really get into this hobby and become a real enthusiast, just bite the bullet and spend the money now before you waste too much money on cheap guns.

I will say if you plan on making this a true hobby, and you think you're really going to get into it, just spend the money now and get you a good gun. I spent way too much money buying cheap guns that weren't doing what I wanted them to do and I ended up spending money on good guns anyway. Once you shoot something like a Huben K1 or Edgun Leshiy, you won't want to go back to something like an AEA. For somebody who just wants to shoot some cans in their backyards a cheap gun will do, but if you want to really get into this hobby and become a real enthusiast, just bite the bullet and spend the money now before you waste too much money on cheap guns.
I totally agree! The journey can be fun (and it is). Once one figures out what they want and look back on what they already bought it can be frustrating (monetarily)..

Reactions: sekiar
I bought an FX first in .25. Then came many pellets. Then was a Daystate/Coltri compressor and a carbonfiber tank. Then the son wanted an FX so I bought his R5M and scope. Then came a prod and mrod. The Impact had a new iteration, so I had the old one altered to add a larger plenum and of course the slug barrel. Another PCP this time a pistol from Diana/RWS. .... BUT I am NOT ADDICTED TO PCPs. Be Well Brothers, 'dito.
Nice Dad! Cool gift for son for sure! A Daystate, wow! I don’t know of the Diana but I’m going to go check them out after this. That’s an impressive list for sure, I love it!!
Thank you for posting a reply as well.

Something smaller caliber than the Megalodon is going to be my next fix. I was thinking of something in 25 cal , you prefer this over the other smaller calibers? I would be interested in your perspective if you care to share it ..Thanks again for your response!

Reactions: Bandito
If read as words of wisdom ? or just standing on a soapbox shouting to an uninterested crowd ?

BUY Quality guns, ones where public satisfaction is vast and service parts a plus, tho for some not a deal breaker.
AKA: Buy once Cry once !!!

Don't shop buying most bling at lowest cost ... Don't shop by following most of the web inflorescence mob .... Be smart and do your own discovery & research before laying out the $$$

I have an avenger 22.airacuda max 22 and 30 caliber.but my favorite is my daystate huntsman Safari in 22.the only beginner priced gun I don't really care for is the avenger .I cannot get it to group well with any pellet.ive tried Steve's tuneing guide on aeac with no luck.so I'm going to buy a wood stock put it on and send it to someone who can tune it for me . anyone have any suggestions on who I can send it to? good luck with this pcp rabbit hole .it gets expensive fast but it's a blast.

Reactions: Bandito