WARNING!!!

I I had been looking at Air Arms HFT 500 Piatt, for sale in our classified section. Then out of nowhere I got a e-mail outside of AGN that seemed legitimate but I kept wondering why did he contact me via email instead of through AGN. Supposedly needing to sell a lot of stuff fast to accommodate surgery.
So I sent the real Drizzts a PM on AGN and it was over a week before he replied. Guess what-he didn’t send me a email!!!
Big time scam alert - do not mess with random emails from a selller outside of AGN unless you have vetted them well!

BEWARE!!!

he used this email: Jimmie Worthman <[email protected]>

if you are selling something on AGN = please check your PM box regularly !!

Last edited:
I had something similar. I also posted a WTB which included my phone number for texting. I received a text saying that they had what I was looking for and that they were willing to sell it. There was something that did not seem legit so I requested a picture of it with a piece of paper that had that days date on it. He said he would do that as soon as he got off work, guess he is still working.
Morale of this story is that WTB post seem to be easy picking.

I had something similar. I also posted a WTB which included my phone number for texting. I received a text saying that they had what I was looking for and that they were willing to sell it. There was something that did not seem legit so I requested a picture of it with a piece of paper that had that days date on it. He said he would do that as soon as he got off work, guess he is still working.
Morale of this story is that WTB post seem to be easy picking.
In this case the scam artist lifted the pictures off the AGN ad and apparently was able to glean some AGN member email addresses.
his email had this info

Date: Thursday, August 15, 2024 at 6:33 PM
To:
Subject:
Riffle sale due to surgery reason
Hi,
Would you be interested in buying guns/rifles as I am letting go of them at affordable prices... selling due to surgery reasons.

Pair of ASM/EMF NEW DAKOTA REVOLVERS IN .38sp/.357MAG $800 for both
Fringe Leather Jacket New SPF $280
Cimarron Model P Juniors $1000
2 Ruger New Vaqueros, Rig & Ammo $1200
SPF Not really SASS Morgan $200
Uberti 32-20 Revolvers $850
cimarron 1878 $600
Unconverted Single Six .22lr $380
Unfired GP100 - Model 01757 - .22LR - W/Extras $900
EVOL MINI 22 CALIBER $1700
Taipan Veteran MK1 $900
Hawke Airmax 30 FFP 4-16x50 $380
Leupold VX II $230
Diana 65 $580
FX Dreamline with Field Target Stock $1500
AA HFT500 by Will Piatt $1800
RWS Excalibre .22 8 shot repeater with RWS 3-9X40 scope $600
25 hatsan bullboss $300
Very accurate & beautiful FX Royale 500 in .25 caliber $1120

I am open to serious offers

Recently we've seen a trend wherein a users email credentials were sold on the dark web and the same password was used to access AGN.

A. Please consider using unique passwords for all sites
B. Don't ever give out your phone # or email address publicly

Recently we've seen a trend wherein a users email credentials were sold on the dark web and the same password was used to access AGN.

Interesting for a couple of reasons... first being our email addresses are everywhere already as are our phone #'s
I am far from tech savvy so for me the key is for me to be very discerning and diligent in screening all communications, texts, emails etc.. while thoroughly vetting contacts via their history and background. In my case the delay between a PM and the Email communication is what really got my attention.

As a long time IT Engineer - I will flat out tell you that passwords by themselves are no longer safe by most means. You need to be using multi-factor authentication on every site you possibly can. Various multi-factor options are:
  • Phone text message code - although not the safest as we've had people at our company be the victims of SIM card duplication and then they can get the code.
  • Phone call - same as above
  • Email a code - safer than above
  • Authenticator/token based app - safest

As a long time IT Engineer - I will flat out tell you that passwords by themselves are no longer safe by most means. You need to be using multi-factor authentication on every site you possibly can. Various multi-factor options are:
  • Phone text message code - although not the safest as we've had people at our company be the victims of SIM card duplication and then they can get the code.
  • Phone call - same as above
  • Email a code - safer than above
  • Authenticator/token based app - safest
I concur with your suggestions. Along with a strong unique password we recommend everyone uses 2FA via an Authenticator app (not 2FA via email). This method is quite secure and only requires authentication once every 30 days.

Reactions: cavedweller