Air Venturi Waterfowl?

Where are you that a 308 Texan would be legal for swan? I've tagged several swans...didn't draw a tag this year :(

Getting one with a 308 Texan wouldn't be tough if you have a dog that can retrieve them. I've punched a couple tags via a very long crawl and jump shooting. A Texan would have been just as effective without getting them up.

However there's nothing quite like rolling one feet up on the wing over swan decoys.
I’m in South Dakota. It’s wild because turkey are considered big game and can only use shotgun or bow with strict rules and regulations. Especially when tundra swan is larger.
I’m gonna hunt them off the water with no dog. I’ll bring a small Jon boat with me, waders, fishing reel for retrieving.
The dog I have now is a guard dog, and saving/looking for a kangal for livestock guard very soon. Had to get rid of the Great Pyrenees pup because it came to use with the bad habit of eating our birds. So it’ll be a bit before I have time to train another dog. Until then it will be me in the water.

I may be wrong, but I believe it's illegal to take waterfowl with anything but a shotgun.
I was coming back here to say this. I was misinformed by another local. I got a friend to get one with me to take me out. He’s younger but he was a hunting guide for a few years before we met.
I had to go and do all my own research because something felt off and reach out to my old buddy.
I believe the local I was talking to isn’t the type the concerns himself with tags 🤦‍♂️

I know it’s not PCP news but I did get my turkey tag which is considered big game here so getting out the bow this season for that.

I have a PBBA Pro 20. 20 Gauge shotgun powered by compressed air. None of the above applies.
There is a channel on YouTube, Sparky’s Outdoors that has quite a bit of hunting, loading tips etc. Watch and you will change your mind about air powered shotguns.

I used mine last year to shoot mallards over decoys and jump shooting. 35 yards and they drop dead if you do your part. The gun is tuned from the factory to shoot 1.25 0z loads. I fill mine to 3400 PSI and get three usable shots.
As for Tungsten, the weight of it means nothing as far as the load is concerned. You will get a lower pellet count in your load but if you load 1.25 oz of lead or 1.25 oz of tungsten the velocity will be the same you just will have a less dense pattern but the shot will retain energy better down range.
I have not seen anything that compares to these guns for power, ease of loading and lethality. If there is something out there that is on par or better I would be interested.
for the guys who posted about their 28 gauge shotguns, I too am quite fond of my 28’s. Primarily what I hunt with for quail and pheasant. I abandoned my 12 gauges about 20 years ago.
Good stuff thanks!!

Shotguns are another of my passions, I enjoy killing little orange clay discs. I shall follow the air shotgun development. I've dreamed a little about indoor trap, we have a lot of empty retail space that needs repurposed. In this sort of setting the guns could have attached high pressure whips. Come up with a dense non toxic shot that can be captured and reused. No toxic dust at all. Miniaturize both trap and skeet and bring it indoors.

I recall back in the late 70's, early 80's a place called "Wingo" in San Diego.
It was indoors and you would shoot at ice balls hurled at you from 5 different openings/holes in a facing wall. The ice balls were about 3"-4" in diameter and you did not know which hole that they were coming from.
Not sure how fast they were hurled, but I do recall that it was actually quite fun shooting the ice balls with the .22 caliber shot shells (similar to the CCI shot shells).
Each opening had a different score, and the facing wall had lanes between each shooter to avoid any cross-firing.
The walls were lined with sound deadening material to keep the report noise down.
Not sure if it was a nationwide thing or just a few around. I believe that it was put on by Winchester if I remember correctly (?).
It only lasted for about a year and was gone, lotta fun though!
An Air Shot Gun would work well for this very thing you are describing.

mike

Last edited:
Am certain you are right that Wingo was a Winchester deal. Seems to me firearm sales are much stronger than actual usage of the firearms today. I reckon when it comes to self defense, that is a good thing. That said owning a firearm or non firearm is much more common than using the firearms. Non firearms (PCP) not at all like that. Our guns are purchased to actually use them.:) Whether that be targets, pesting, or hunting.
Seems logical that safe facilities to shoot could be successful. Also seems like the bulk of sales are a high cap 9mm that will spend it's life in a bedside drawer. Might want to learn how to use that pistol Joe Consumer, despite what you see on the silver screen it takes skill to shoot a gun, esp. a pistol accurately.