N/A Way to test power of bb and pellet guns before you buy in Pawnshop, Estate Sale ect.

I lack the talent to reseal airguns and thus is very expensive if I buy a used airgun that needs resealing, I need a portable way to judge the velocity of a pellet and bb guns I am handling. Needs to be something I can safely do indoors. My chrono does not work indoors. Thinking of something that can be calibrated like ballistic putty but the only kind I found so far is not clear. Maybe a catalog that I calibrate the number of pages penetrated with my measured chrono readings for bbs and say wadcutter pellets but that is a lot of work. Anybody have some cheap and safe way (pawn shop will not let me test it if it appears unsafe) to test pellet and bb guns so I can at least tell if a reseal will not be needed. Would like it to shoot at least 75% of velocity of a new one. The last bb gun I bought, I put my hand on the barrel and fired it but it was Daisy 25 that I could safely look in the magazine to make sure it is empty. May not try it on gravity feed. I am looking for something east and more accurate than sound and feel of the discharge. I plan to visit more pawn shops in the future. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Reactions: Bandito
With the insurance issues and paranoia of being sued, I don't know of any estate sale or pawn shop that is going to let you test the velocity of any sort of airgun. If a pawn shop sells powder burners and has an indoor range on location, that could work. Best advice when buying unknown condition is assume it will need work and let the buyer beware.

I too like the idea of using a V2FX Pocket chrony
Indoors or out as the situation permits
And I would never assume the seller is going to be too paranoid to allow you to make the test
After all, it never hurts to ask.
Especially if you are polite, behave like an adult, and demonstrate that you have safety measure in place.
The worst-case scenario is they say no
Edward

I guess figure the repair / tune kit cost and weigh it towards the fair used price .. unless your free to shoot it . I got a small bolt in China chrome that 30$ one . It's portable quick and easy to run a 5 shot string to test before a buy .

If the gun fails or you can't shoot to test then dicker on the parts cost against it ..

Thanks for the replies. Looks like 2 viable options. Also the pawn shop did let me shoot the airgun inside but would not let me shoot it outside. I think the ballistic putty in a bucket would be a more accepted safer option by the owner for firing an airgun in the store. However where is the cheapest place to buy clear ballistic gel say to put in a 1 gallon cylinder. All I could find was animal figures and rectangular blocks at very high prices. On the repair, I paid $160 plus shipping for a new spring and seals on a vintage Daisy 111 at Baker Airguns. Maybe cheaper options but no way am I doing that again. Will wait on a resealed model or one that shoots hard. I think you pay more for a separate reseal than paying for a reseal that has been done on the gun you are buying. Wish I was good with working on airguns but 2 botched jobs says otherwise.

Reactions: Bandito