HW/Weihrauch Weak guy springers

Might a slip-on rubber buttpad, or simple piece of rubber padding laid in the floor, be a simpler - and more portable - means to the same end?

View attachment 462506
That ought to be about the perfect KISS solution, but not in this case. The butt isn't even close to being flat, so it's a considerably more difficult task for me to anchor on the smooth wooden floor to 'break' it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
1715124479896.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you considered a sidelever springer? You don't have to reach as far forward to cock it as with a break-barrel, so might be able to work from your lap, instead of the floor. And - most sidelevers have a built-in ratchet mechanism to restrain the lever during the cocking stroke - should your grip slip, it stays put and does not slam shut.

Two sidelever rifles that I particularly like are the FWB 300S match rifle I mentioned above, and the Webley Tracker sporter.

The FWB has a short lever and is VERY easy to cock - even my old and dinky hands can literally do it with my little finger. It's a big, heavy rifle but you can minimize that with a Junior ("Mini") model, or a full-size one without a barrel weight sleeve.

FWB (this one is a short-barrel Mini action in a full-size stock):
View attachment 460975

Sidelever held by the ratchet halfway through the cocking stroke:
View attachment 460976

The elegant and compact Tracker (imported here as the "Barnett Spitfire"), besides the ratcheted sidelever, is a classic taploader - the safest springer mechanism ever designed. You don't stick your fingers inside a hinged or sliding breech to load it, but simply drop the pellet into a rotating tap.

Tracker:
View attachment 460967

Closed tap (for cocking or firing):
View attachment 460968

Open tap (for loading):
View attachment 460969
Yes, I have thought about both under and side-lever rifles, but I'm not going to risk hundreds of dollars on a rifle I haven't tried (or tech with which I'm not already thoroughly familiar). I thought using the Omnia ZRS would be well within my capabilities, as I'm mostly just not ambulatory, but that isn't quite how it turned out (and I couldn't hurt my wife by returning her extremely thoughtful and well-researched gift). Thanks for the suggestions and photos. I really like the open/closed tap for loading; very ingenious and much more practical than the usual loading methodology!

That ought to be about the perfect KISS solution, but not in this case. The butt isn't even close to being flat, so it's a considerably more difficult task for me to anchor on the smooth wooden floor to 'break' it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
View attachment 462655

Yikes! I see what you mean 😜...pretty far from a candidate for a slip-on pad! Still, I wonder if something like a yoga mat laid in the floor - i.e., combining a friction-y surface with a bit of squishiness - might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
Yikes! I see what you mean 😜...pretty far from a candidate for a slip-on pad! Still, I wonder if something like a yoga mat, with a friction-y surface and a bit of squishiness, might be worth a try.
Yeah, that certainly would help, and when I recently rebuilt my pellet traps to use rubber mulch, I also bought some of those 1-inch thick, 2' x 2' rubbery floor 'tiles' everyone uses as yoga/workout mats to replace my old backstop. Six of 'em all together do the essentially redundant job fine; nothing gets through the seven inches of mulch in my traps in the first place, even out of my most powerful break barrels. I do have a few left over I can fool around with and they're easy enough to cut up with a box cutter. Thanks again for the ideas!

Reactions: MDriskill
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I think I still could do something along these lines. I had in mind the simple idea of a short length of 1x1, or a scrap of something similar, screwed to the floor on which to help anchor the butt... maybe a couple of pieces in an L shape. A portable 'box' of some sort might work out even better (and nothing to trip over screwed into the floor <grin>), putting my feet on both sides, maybe with a long flat piece going off to the side on which to place one foot to help keep box and rifle in place. I think I'll try to figure out something along those lines and give it a shot. I really appreciate your offer though, but no way could I let you do something like that gratis. It sure is a very neighborly gesture, though! Very much appreciated. Thanks again!
I have a LOT!!! of small pieces of wood , My wife would like nothing better than if i sent some to somewhere else other than our house 😊😊😊😎

Last edited:
View attachment 462655
put a non slip pad on the floor set butt of the stock on the pad ,and hold steady with your foot/ toes inside of this pictured buttstock ?

Reactions: MDriskill
Don't be shy about stepping down a bit in power to an R7 (HW30). They are about 8 FPE and can be very accurate to 50 as long as the wind is low. Cocks with about the weight of your arm. They are also lighter which makes picking them up each time you cock them easier as well.
Beeman r1/HW30

You can shoot these all day and will never hurt nor get bored

Reactions: sekiar