Taipan Well I found one.....

20240529_063330.jpg

How are those Taipans treating you ?
Great guns. Both are lasers and very nice to shoot. I was thinking about maybe keeping my Evol and using a Zulus I ordered on it. But having this gun in hand now, the versatility of it with a DFL speed dial, the Zulus is going on here whenever I get it.

Nicely done, Dillon. I knew you wouldn't stray too far ;)
Once you've sampled the sweet Taipan goodness, you can't un-taste it!

The .22 compacts are such sweeties aren't they?

I have one of mine detuned to 870 with 14.35 JSBs = 24fpe.
So smoooth, so quiet, shot cycle is so gentle, so freakin' accurate and 70 shots to boot :cool:

20240530_153658.jpg

The other 'Taipan' (99 cents at Wally World) Keeps the robins from poopin' all over my picnic tables 😄

Nicely done, Dillon. I knew you wouldn't stray too far ;)
Once you've sampled the sweet Taipan goodness, you can't un-taste it!

The .22 compacts are such sweeties aren't they?

I have one of mine detuned to 870 with 14.35 JSBs = 24fpe.
So smoooth, so quiet, shot cycle is so gentle, so freakin' accurate and 70 shots to boot :cool:

View attachment 468620

The other 'Taipan' (99 cents at Wally World) Keeps the robins from poopin' all over my picnic tables 😄
They are very sweet guns. Very hard to beat for the price. I know it's not a forward cocker but it doesn't bother me one bit. What's nice is with the DFL speed dial max is 900fps with 18gr, half turn out 865fps, 1 turn out 800fps, 2.5 turns out is around 565fps. Very repeatable. Will work nicely paired with a Zulus with different zeros and setting with ballistic calculator

How are those Taipans treating you ?
Can't speak for Dillon, but I had a 25 Long and still have a 25 Compact. Sold the Long only because it was a bit heavy for the hunting I do. But both are accurate and consistent. Only had the Compact a bit over a year, would have to look at my records, but had the Long for over two years(?) and never a leak or any other issue.

Not that fond of bullpups (carrying in the field) and I really do not like the ergo's of the Compact (the stock LOP is even shorter than the Long/Standards). I am actively looking about for a replacement, BUT - I look at the size and weight of the package, the power, the accuracy, the lack of issues and think maybe I should just pick up a .25 Standard to satisfy my urge for another gun and be done with it.

Though I understand the reasoning, unlike Dillon and some others here, I find what mine likes for accuracy & power... then set it and forget it.

Jerry

@Dairyboy,

As alluded to in this discussion a few times, and as you're well aware, the Vet platform is special. Yeah people can find some niggles here and there, but the sum of the design outweighs the few negatives. In other words, the Vet platform is "worth more than the sum of its parts."

A long-distance friend and fellow lover of the Veteran has tried out some other top-shelf airguns in the last yearish. After a thorough assessment of each alternative, he's listed them on the classifieds. Paraphrasing here but he's told me after each trial with a different gun that the Veteran is simply a more complete combination of features that he values. I agree.

Great guns. Both are lasers and very nice to shoot. I was thinking about maybe keeping my Evol and using a Zulus I ordered on it. But having this gun in hand now, the versatility of it with a DFL speed dial, the Zulus is going on here whenever I get it.
I was shocked when I saw you had posted your Evol.........You may suffer serious withdrawal is you sell it.........

Can't speak for Dillon, but I had a 25 Long and still have a 25 Compact. Sold the Long only because it was a bit heavy for the hunting I do. But both are accurate and consistent. Only had the Compact a bit over a year, would have to look at my records, but had the Long for over two years(?) and never a leak or any other issue.

Not that fond of bullpups (carrying in the field) and I really do not like the ergo's of the Compact (the stock LOP is even shorter than the Long/Standards). I am actively looking about for a replacement, BUT - I look at the size and weight of the package, the power, the accuracy, the lack of issues and think maybe I should just pick up a .25 Standard to satisfy my urge for another gun and be done with it.

Though I understand the reasoning, unlike Dillon and some others here, I find what mine likes for accuracy & power... then set it and forget it.

Jerry
Jerry, I'm the same when it comes to setting your gun and leaving it, I usually do. How I'll be using this Short will be nice having a 30fpe tune and lower tune for close up in areas where it might be too much. Being a night time gun I might use lower power more than I think. My Long is set and never gonna change. I think the Standard is that Goldilocks if you want just one. My Long is setup for longer ranges so I don't mind the weight.

@Dairyboy,

As alluded to in this discussion a few times, and as you're well aware, the Vet platform is special. Yeah people can find some niggles here and there, but the sum of the design outweighs the few negatives. In other words, the Vet platform is "worth more than the sum of its parts."

A long-distance friend and fellow lover of the Veteran has tried out some other top-shelf airguns in the last yearish. After a thorough assessment of each alternative, he's listed them on the classifieds. Paraphrasing here but he's told me after each trial with a different gun that the Veteran is simply a more complete combination of features that he values. I agree.
Lol it's hard to beat them and I'm just not sure what it is. They shoot so nicely, trigger is great, cocking even though in the rear is super smooth and easy, honestly the aftermarket mag holders are a huge seller for me too. Having those on the gun itself is very nice. I've tried other bullpups but just could never enjoy others as much. The R5M Standard I had was close but the racket of the hammer under your cheek and ear was too much.

I was shocked when I saw you had posted your Evol.........You may suffer serious withdrawal is you sell it.........
Lol I might but also I'd like to have 2 guns. Having both of these if I would ever have an issue, I have parts. Not that I expect needing them but is nice for down the road if there would ever be a problem.