Taipan Well, I've gone and done it...

Well, I've gone and done it...
As much as I love my Taipan Veteran Long, I've always thought it's a bit too long especially since I have it tuned to only around 31 FPE. I do love the shot count, but as a standby varmint rifle I rarely needed that many shots at a time. As a backyard rifle though shooting out of the window most of the time (sometimes at odd angles), the length is a big deal. I've slogged through deciding on the length when I bought the Long and years later I'm still thinking about it. I figured if I'm going to get the standard length, now is the time since they're getting harder to find. I don't know but this Talon Tunes restock last month might be one of the last ones they get. The red stock is not my first choice, but it's the only one left and I'm putting it on the tactical stock anyways.

Of course I get it in my favorite caliber .22 so now I don't know if I'm keeping the Long version or selling it. 😅

Screenshot 2024-08-09 155522.png

Or just look for a standard barrel for sale in the classified.

Reactions: TimeRabbit
I received my new gun a couple of days ago. It's tuning time! As you know, this gun is a huge pain in the ass to tune due to the regulator being inside the air cylinder. At least this time, I have a good idea of where the regulator should be set at. What I like about it though is once it's tuned, it never deviates from it unless I intentionally change it.

With my 30 FPE tune with the JSB Hades, I'm estimating between 60 and 70 shots on the reg. The Long version shows its efficiency in this regard because with that gun, I get 95 shots on the reg with the same tune.

20240817_211125.jpg

Interested in how you make out. Just got a tactical 25-700 from Tony and everything looks good so far at short range with 34.9 nsa going 950 fps.
If your gun is already shooting the way you like it with the projectiles you like shooting, just save the effort and just keep shooting the gun as is. You can just fine tune the hammer spring tension to tighten up your shot strings. In my experience however, these guns come almost maxed out from the factory and much too hot for my main Hades projectiles. My particular gun came shooting the Hades at 985 FPS. I only did a 10 shot string over the chronograph with the stock settings but from what I saw though, I estimate 38 shots on the reg with everything stock. The factory regulator on mine is set at 135 bars.

Reactions: Solo1 and Dairyboy
I think Tony has really upped his game on the extra services when you purchase the gun from him. With my new gun, he polished the crown to mirror finish. He also said that he looked at the trigger. I don't know if he adjusted it but it's much lighter than the stock trigger on the Long when I first got it. I also like the little touches such as my name on the printed test sheet that he does and the work mat that he included. I didn't get any of those extras when I purchased my Veteran Long a while back.

I will say however that he needs to be better at communications. I've asked him simple questions on text or email in regards to purchases that I've made or potential purchases, and although he answers, most of my questions just gets ignored. He's a bit hard to talk to when I'm trying to get some specific information about a particular gun that I'm looking to buy.

I received my new gun a couple of days ago. It's tuning time! As you know, this gun is a huge pain in the ass to tune due to the regulator being inside the air cylinder. At least this time, I have a good idea of where the regulator should be set at. What I like about it though is once it's tuned, it never deviates from it unless I intentionally change it.

With my 30 FPE tune with the JSB Hades, I'm estimating between 60 and 70 shots on the reg. The Long version shows its efficiency in this regard because with that gun, I get 95 shots on the reg with the same tune.

View attachment 489141
I'm gonna assume you should be real close there. Based on my notes from my old Long I got 104 shots total (85 on reg 19 off within 20fps) at 945fps with 16gr pellets. My Short was 45 shots on reg at 900fps with 16gr. So you might be close to 70-80 at that 30fpe range.

What LDC do you have on it? It looks nice but not sure I've seen one like that before.

I'm gonna assume you should be real close there. Based on my notes from my old Long I got 104 shots total (85 on reg 19 off within 20fps) at 945fps with 16gr pellets. My Short was 45 shots on reg at 900fps with 16gr. So you might be close to 70-80 at that 30fpe range.

What LDC do you have on it? It looks nice but not sure I've seen one like that before.
That one is the DonnyFL Ryu. I really like the look of just the moderator directly on the barrel rather than attached to the barrel shroud. I will say though that it's obviously not as quiet with just the moderator compared to the shroud plus moderator.

Ok, I just finished tuning and zeroing the gun. I ended up with 920 FPS for the Hades and 790 FPS for the H&N 21gr Slug HP. With the regulator set to 95 bars, the gun gets 60 shots on the reg from the full 250 bar fill.

The gun actually could have gotten closer to 70 shots on the reg per fill if I only tuned it for the Hades with the same 920 FPS. With that tune however, the H&N slugs were shooting too slow and didn't group well. I merely increased the hammer spring tension and because the Hades stayed at the same 920 FPS, this tells me that I'm wasting a bit of air when shooting the Hades. It's a compromise I'm willing to take so that I can interchange into the H&N slugs without having to touch the tune.