Taipan Went back to the stock barrel shroud on my Taipan Veteran

After a stint of using the Taipan Veteran with just a DonnyFL without the barrel shroud, I decided to go back to just the stock barrel shroud. This all started when I was using my Taipan Veteran Long. I always thought the barrel shroud on that gun is quite a bit too long visually and I didn't like the way it looked so I removed it in place of a DonnyFL. Yes, it was a tiny bit louder with just the DonnyFL but I loved the way it looked and for a backyard varmint rifle that only gets shot once in a while, the trade off was acceptable to me.

Fast forward to this Veteran Standard. When I first got it, I installed the DonnyFL again just because I already have it. However, I've always thought the visual balance of it didn't look as good as it did with the Long version. I reinstalled the stock barrel shroud and I think the stock configuration looks really good with the Standard version. Just looking at it visually, Taipan might have designed the gun around the Standard version and modified the lengths to create the Long and Compact versions. The stock barrel shroud is also MUCH quieter than with the DonnyFL because the stock shroud has around double the volume of the DonnyFL when you consider the back of the shroud as part of the expansion chamber. Now I have to figure out what to do with this extra DonnyFL Ryu. 😅😅😅

20240907_133600.jpg

20240820_224210.jpg

I just finished doing a target session a few hours ago. I shot 10 at the target. I typically do all my shots from about a meter inside a window to keep silent for the neighbors. I just now realized that I didn't wear hearing protection for those 10 shots! Before I reinstalled the stock barrel shroud, I have to wear hearing protection for any sessions with more than 3 shots fired. Otherwise it really hurts my ears and gives me a headache for the rest of the day. To me, this is a testament to how quiet the Taipan Veteran is in its stock configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
Yes sir!

Haven't ever felt the need to add a can on the end of the Taipan OEM shroud. And that's even to 51-52fpe with the Long.

The Veteran system of having the muzzle cut for 1/2x20 is quite ingenious. Especially when coupled with their shroud/moderator combo that creates additional expansion space behind the muzzle. Simple, but elegant.

??? Mine has a shroud. It is bone stock and is so quiet I've never felt the need for adding a moderator. Dropped many a 🐿️ with it in a suburban backyard (y)

View attachment 494979
By barrel shroud, it means that the end of the barrel extends way past inside the "fat" suppressor looking part. I saw a video of a disassembly of the non Tactical Veteran 2 and the fitting where the suppressor screws on to is attached directly on the barrel threads. I am not sure if the Veteran 2 Tactical is assembled in the same way but if it is, your gun has a suppressor rather than a barrel shroud. And it is indeed a big suppressor which is why your gun is so quiet.

Last edited:
By barrel shroud, it means that the end of the barrel extends way past inside the "fat" suppressor looking part. I saw a video of a disassembly of the non Tactical Veteran 2 and the fitting where the suppressor screws on to is attached directly on the barrel threads. I am not sure if the Veteran 2 Tactical is assembled in the same way but if it is, your gun has a suppressor rather than a barrel shroud. And it is indeed a big suppressor which is why your gun is so quiet.
Half of it is reflex shroud and half of it is a moderator. From Vet 2 tact 700mm:

IMG_0823.jpeg

Everything below the rear cap (top) goes in the front and sits in front of a circlip in the middle of the tube. The rear cap can even vent into the CF tensioner tube but there isn’t much volume there.