Western Airguns Western Sidewinder likes and dislikes

I really like my .30 Sidewinder. My other PCP rifles are a Benjamin Bulldog and a Hatsan Sortie so I haven't had a lot of experience with other guns to compare it to. All I know is it works great, is very accurate, and I've had zero problems with it yet. It was a little expensive however I am very happy with it.

1000000727.jpg

1000001791.jpg

1000003197.jpg

Now that breaks my heart - the most popular PCP everyone grabs when we're out shooting is the Sidewinder, friends and girlfriends that don't even like shooting love it!

I'm sad you can't enjoy it my friend, sad indeed. Love that you've got extra mags though, those are definitely a god send.

Lovin the setup.

No time to enjoy, would like to find a good home for the setup. Need some posts under my belt before I can create the listing. Hope this is ok guys!

-Ron

View attachment 444789

Now that breaks my heart - the most popular PCP everyone grabs when we're out shooting is the Sidewinder, friends and girlfriends that don't even like shooting love it!

I'm sad you can't enjoy it my friend, sad indeed. Love that you've got extra mags though, those are definitely a god send.

Lovin the setup.
Appreciate the commiseration tremendously, haha!

-Ron

Question for the sidewinder folks, it appears most people are shootings pellets. It looks like the magazine has sufficient depth to handle larger slugs, does anyone know the exact depth? It isn’t listed on AoA
I get a measurement of 12.5 mm for the full mag width, but with the cover removed the available depth for the projectile is 11.3 mm. Mine is a .22 caliber, but I don't know about the others . . .

I have not done extensive testing with slugs on mine, but what I have done has not found anything that shoots as well as the JSB 18.1 or 25.4s . . .

One thing to keep in mind, the Sidewinder is a much bigger and heavier gun than the Huben. I’ve got the Sidewinder in .30 and the Huben in .22. They’re both very impressive guns, but if my sidewinder were suddenly changed to a .22 tomorrow then I would pick the Huben over it hands down.

Both guns are super accurate. 1/2” groups at 50 yards are common with both rifles. The trigger on the Huben is about an 8 out of 10 and the trigger on the Sidewinder is about a 7. They are both very good triggers, but they’re not in the same league as what you’d get on an FX or Air Arms. The Sidewinder trigger is a little longer and a little heavier than the Hubens, but still quite good.

The Huben is much smaller, lighter and much quieter out of the box. The sidewinder in .30 is not backyard friendly regardless of the power level until you start modifying the shroud and adding large aftermarket cans. The Huben is somewhat backyard friendly out of the box and if you dial down the power it becomes pretty quiet. If you’re shooting slugs at 70 fpe it’s going to need a can. If you dial it down to 12 fpe no one is likely to notice you’re shooting it.

The Huben is also a much more attractive rifle, for whatever that is worth to you. With a wood stock it looks downright good. The Sidewinder looks like a plumbing tool crossed with an AR.

The Sidewinder has removable magazines and IMO that’s a huge plus. Just pop the mag out and there is no way the gun can fire. It’s akin to removing the cylinder from a revolver. They’re also easier to load.

The Sidewinder also has full-auto capability and a second safety right where it belongs. The Huben only has one safety back by your shoulder and on the wrong side.

I really think full auto would be much better in .22 as well. In .30 there is just too much recoil to hold the gun accurately on target while firing a burst. Sure you can do it, but instead of 1/2” groups at 50 yards you might be getting 5” groups.both the huben k1 and sidewinder ate 7.7 lbs so not sure how sidewinder is bigger and heavier. You may be mistaking it for

One thing to keep in mind, the Sidewinder is a much bigger and heavier gun than the Huben. I’ve got the Sidewinder in .30 and the Huben in .22. They’re both very impressive guns, but if my sidewinder were suddenly changed to a .22 tomorrow then I would pick the Huben over it hands down.

Both guns are super accurate. 1/2” groups at 50 yards are common with both rifles. The trigger on the Huben is about an 8 out of 10 and the trigger on the Sidewinder is about a 7. They are both very good triggers, but they’re not in the same league as what you’d get on an FX or Air Arms. The Sidewinder trigger is a little longer and a little heavier than the Hubens, but still quite good.

The Huben is much smaller, lighter and much quieter out of the box. The sidewinder in .30 is not backyard friendly regardless of the power level until you start modifying the shroud and adding large aftermarket cans. The Huben is somewhat backyard friendly out of the box and if you dial down the power it becomes pretty quiet. If you’re shooting slugs at 70 fpe it’s going to need a can. If you dial it down to 12 fpe no one is likely to notice you’re shooting it.

The Huben is also a much more attractive rifle, for whatever that is worth to you. With a wood stock it looks downright good. The Sidewinder looks like a plumbing tool crossed with an AR.

The Sidewinder has removable magazines and IMO that’s a huge plus. Just pop the mag out and there is no way the gun can fire. It’s akin to removing the cylinder from a revolver. They’re also easier to load.

The Sidewinder also has full-auto capability and a second safety right where it belongs. The Huben only has one safety back by your shoulder and on the wrong side.

I really think full auto would be much better in .22 as well. In .30 there is just too much recoil to hold the gun accurately on target while firing a burst. Sure you can do it, but instead of 1/2” groups at 50 yards you might be getting 5” groups.
Not sure how the Sidewinder is much heavier when both are 7.7 lbs. Guessing you have the .30 rattler not sidewinder.

Not sure how the Sidewinder is much heavier when both are 7.7 lbs. Guessing you have the .30 rattler not sidewinder.
Maybe bare they do weigh the same. I've never actually put them on a scale, but regardless of that the Sidewinder is a bigger rifle. It starts out a little longer, but a Sidewinder has a serious bark and really needs an added suppressor and the K1 does not, and that makes it even longer in comparison. Because it's bottle fed it's also thicker and i think it's a bit taller too. It's just a bigger rifle in all dimensions.

Maybe bare they do weigh the same. I've never actually put them on a scale, but regardless of that the Sidewinder is a bigger rifle. It starts out a little longer, but a Sidewinder has a serious bark and really needs an added suppressor and the K1 does not, and that makes it even longer in comparison. Because it's bottle fed it's also thicker and i think it's a bit taller too. It's just a bigger rifle in all dimensions.
I haven't owned a sidewinder but do have a huben .22 an lcs .25 and rattler .357 and my favorite is the lcs .25. The lcs and sidewinder seem very similar which makes me want to try the sidewinder. Don't get me wrong I love all 3 but lcs support is almost non-existent so I would like to switch to the sidewinder in the near future. The huben has a slightly better trigger but too limited air supply and more difficult to repair/work on. If you could change the limited air supply and ease of repairs that would be a game changer but there really isn't a way to make that happen. I also hate the fill probe on the huben. Lcs and western basically took their system and fixed those issues with a built in fill probe, bottle system and ease of repairs/barrel removal.

I haven't owned a sidewinder but do have a huben .22 an lcs .25 and rattler .357 and my favorite is the lcs .25. The lcs and sidewinder seem very similar which makes me want to try the sidewinder. Don't get me wrong I love all 3 but lcs support is almost non-existent so I would like to switch to the sidewinder in the near future. The huben has a slightly better trigger but too limited air supply and more difficult to repair/work on. If you could change the limited air supply and ease of repairs that would be a game changer but there really isn't a way to make that happen. I also hate the fill probe on the huben. Lcs and western basically took their system and fixed those issues with a built in fill probe, bottle system and ease of repairs/barrel removal.
I started out with the Sidewinder in .30 and then pretty quickly realized I also wanted a smaller rifle in .22 so I got the Huben. At first I preferred the Huben. It was just a smaller, more compact and better looking rifle with a better trigger, but after having had them both for about a year now, I've come to the conclusion that the Sidewinder is the better gun. It just took me a few months to fully appreciate all the improvements that are present in the Sidewinder. That removable magazine is a massive plus. It allows you to clean it more easily, load it much more easily and easily put it in a state where the action is visibly clear and it is impossible for the gun to fire. They're also perhaps the easiest magazines to load that I have ever used. It's a pity they're so expensive. The bottle reservoir and second safety are nice too. The big flaw in the Sidewinder design is how loud it is and that the stock shroud and moderator are so awful.

I think both rifles are extremely good though.