Western Airguns Western Sidewinder likes and dislikes

I am seriously considering purchasing a Western Sidewinder in either 22 or 25 cal. I can't seem to find many reviews on them. Does anyone have input on their purchase of the Sidewinder? I originally purchased a Hatsan Blitz about a year ago, but after sending two ot them back, I decided against the full auto . But the Sidewinder seems a lot better as well a lot more expensive to buy. How is the accuracy when shooting semi?

Read my posts about the sidewinders.

Yes, I had a problem with the .25, but now is working perfectly.

I like Sidewinders A LOT !!!

In terms of preference, I like my Red Wolf .22 non HP over any other of my PCP's, and after that, the Sidewinders.

Then Wolverines and Vulcans 3 and 2 and the Uragan.

Then the Renegades.

Then the Panthera.

Then the Bantam .25

Then all others.

Last edited:
I have had a Huben for a few years, so I have that as my benchmark in terms of what I am used to. I picked up a Sidewinder a few months back, so I can compare and contrast them. Both are in .22 caliber.

The Huben has better build quality, a much better trigger, is quieter both in terms of muzzle sound (especially with an added moderator) and mechanical sounds on the shot, more usable range of regulator adjustment (and thus air charge), has a more positive feeling and better protected power adjustment wheel, and is ambidextrous (the Sidewinder would be almost hazardous for lefties).

The Sidewinder has the convenience of the removable mags, a barrel that is much easier to remove for cleaning or such (the Huben requires more disassembly and degassing to do this), the added safety next to the trigger (I really wish the Huben had this, as you have to take the gun off your shoulder to operate the safety), is a little lighter, and of course has the full auto function.

The Sidewinder has a tensioned barrel via the CF shroud, while the Huben does not - but the Huben shroud is baffled and leads to a much quieter gun (the Sidewinder's shroud is not that effective, as it really does not have a great stripper and has no baffles). I did buy the adaptor for the Sidewinder, and currently run a Huma 40 Compact on it, and that made it much quieter than stock but it still needs more suppression (but even with more will it still be louder than the Huben as the action is louder).

They both have tons of power, easy adjustment, and are really impressive air guns. If you only have one, and never get to shoot the other, you'd most likely love either one. For me having both, if I could only have one for my needs it would be the Huben, mostly due to the trigger - if the triggers were equal it would be a harder choice, but for me the edge would still go to the Huben as it is more backyard friendly. But then again, that full auto is a ton of fun (if not really all that useful in practice . . . ). Additionally, I don't go to ranges (at least to date), but if I did the ability to easily prove the Sidewinder safe by removing the magazine would make a strong point in its favor.

Edited to add one key thing - parts and support. I have seen nothing on this on the Sidewinder, other than AoA servicing them. No parts diagram yet or anything on the Sidewinder. The Huben has full support, parts diagrams, and all parts are available for purchase for any DIY repairs when possible, or even to have on hand if needed. If that matters to you - I'm sure AoA will be able to service the Sidewinder for a long time, but doing it on your own may never be an option . . .

Last edited:
Some people really like huben better and some greatly prefer the sidewinder - at the price point and such, I really recommend trying to shoot both before making a purchasing decision.
@wimpanzee How do you propose that one goes about doing that? Who sells both the Sidewinder and the Huben K1 where a person can have the option to shoot both guns before deciding which one to purchase?

Good question. I know New England aiAguns has an indoor range. it is definitely worth a trip there to try out a Huben before buying one. For the Western sSdewinder, I think the only shop with a shooting range is Airguns of Arizona.
I bought my Evol .30 from them and have never had a problem. I guess it depends where you live. I would also look at return policies for every shop. Some charge a 30% restocking fee;which is really high. I'd lean towards AOA. They are very popular high volume sales so a return is not a unique thing to them.

Reactions: Hornclayton
One thing to keep in mind, the Sidewinder is a much bigger and heavier gun than the Huben. I’ve got the Sidewinder in .30 and the Huben in .22. They’re both very impressive guns, but if my sidewinder were suddenly changed to a .22 tomorrow then I would pick the Huben over it hands down.

Both guns are super accurate. 1/2” groups at 50 yards are common with both rifles. The trigger on the Huben is about an 8 out of 10 and the trigger on the Sidewinder is about a 7. They are both very good triggers, but they’re not in the same league as what you’d get on an FX or Air Arms. The Sidewinder trigger is a little longer and a little heavier than the Hubens, but still quite good.

The Huben is much smaller, lighter and much quieter out of the box. The sidewinder in .30 is not backyard friendly regardless of the power level until you start modifying the shroud and adding large aftermarket cans. The Huben is somewhat backyard friendly out of the box and if you dial down the power it becomes pretty quiet. If you’re shooting slugs at 70 fpe it’s going to need a can. If you dial it down to 12 fpe no one is likely to notice you’re shooting it.

The Huben is also a much more attractive rifle, for whatever that is worth to you. With a wood stock it looks downright good. The Sidewinder looks like a plumbing tool crossed with an AR.

The Sidewinder has removable magazines and IMO that’s a huge plus. Just pop the mag out and there is no way the gun can fire. It’s akin to removing the cylinder from a revolver. They’re also easier to load.

The Sidewinder also has full-auto capability and a second safety right where it belongs. The Huben only has one safety back by your shoulder and on the wrong side.

I really think full auto would be much better in .22 as well. In .30 there is just too much recoil to hold the gun accurately on target while firing a burst. Sure you can do it, but instead of 1/2” groups at 50 yards you might be getting 5” groups.

One thing to keep in mind, the Sidewinder is a much bigger and heavier gun than the Huben. I’ve got the Sidewinder in .30 and the Huben in .22. They’re both very impressive guns, but if my sidewinder were suddenly changed to a .22 tomorrow then I would pick the Huben over it hands down.

Both guns are super accurate. 1/2” groups at 50 yards are common with both rifles. The trigger on the Huben is about an 8 out of 10 and the trigger on the Sidewinder is about a 7. They are both very good triggers, but they’re not in the same league as what you’d get on an FX or Air Arms. The Sidewinder trigger is a little longer and a little heavier than the Hubens, but still quite good.

The Huben is much smaller, lighter and much quieter out of the box. The sidewinder in .30 is not backyard friendly regardless of the power level until you start modifying the shroud and adding large aftermarket cans. The Huben is somewhat backyard friendly out of the box and if you dial down the power it becomes pretty quiet. If you’re shooting slugs at 70 fpe it’s going to need a can. If you dial it down to 12 fpe no one is likely to notice you’re shooting it.

The Huben is also a much more attractive rifle, for whatever that is worth to you. With a wood stock it looks downright good. The Sidewinder looks like a plumbing tool crossed with an AR.

The Sidewinder has removable magazines and IMO that’s a huge plus. Just pop the mag out and there is no way the gun can fire. It’s akin to removing the cylinder from a revolver. They’re also easier to load.

The Sidewinder also has full-auto capability and a second safety right where it belongs. The Huben only has one safety back by your shoulder and on the wrong side.

I really think full auto would be much better in .22 as well. In .30 there is just too much recoil to hold the gun accurately on target while firing a burst. Sure you can do it, but instead of 1/2” groups at 50 yards you might be getting 5” groups.
@Sawney Bean Very well stated. Thank you for your comparative analysis.

I have heard that if you have a .22 Sidewinder and want a .25, you just need to buy a barrel and a magazine in .25…..

I have removed the barrel of my Sidewinder .25 and it is super easy to do that.

So I may not imagine an easier way to interchange calibers.

Once you learn to control your Sidewinder it becomes a favorite really easy.

Reactions: Hornclayton
@Sawney Bean I agree with most of what you wrote, although I personally would put more "distance" between the Huben and Sidewinder triggers, if only because the Huben has a firm stop at the second stage and a massively cleaner break. The Sidewinder can be learned well enough, but that leads to what I really don't like about it - the characteristics are completely different between semi and full auto mode. That makes it hard to learn properly. Also, when shooting in semi auto it is much easier to get a good fast follow up shot off with the Huben, as the trigger resets with much less movement - mine resets off just the second stage, while the Sidewinder needs a full release to reset.

But my main point is to say you are quite right that in .22 the full auto shoots pretty well. It bounces around some so groups will definitely be larger, but it is pretty good. I do wish there was a way to have it shoot a fixed number of times in full auto - a consistent double tap or three round burst would make for better accuracy.

Looking over on AoA, looks like the Sidewinder is coming out with a compact version.
1701693282416.png

On the standard version, is it possible to load the mag from the left side of the action? It doesn't look like it would suit a left handed shooter very well

Reactions: PumaCarl
Looking over on AoA, looks like the Sidewinder is coming out with a compact version.
View attachment 412174

On the standard version, is it possible to load the mag from the left side of the action? It doesn't look like it would suit a left handed shooter very well
This has to be one of the ugliest airguns I've ever seen... but when looking at it's construction I can't really find any flaws in it. I think it's the small airbottle at the front that makes it ugly to me. They could have used a larger tube tank instead but that's more form over function.

This has to be one of the ugliest airguns I've ever seen... but when looking at it's construction I can't really find any flaws in it. I think it's the small airbottle at the front that makes it ugly to me. They could have used a larger tube tank instead but that's more form over function.
I think it looks super ugly because of the horrendous choice of scope for that image. If you put your finger over it you can get a much better idea of what it looks like. No idea why they paired it with that scope with open shades 🤮