What a difference without cataracts

Cataract removal - been there, did that two years ago... very happy with the results!

I'm good for normal distances and use inexpensive Amazon "readers" for close work. I bought 1.25 diopter for reading, 2.0 for fly tying where I wanted more magnification and a pair of 3.0 for close inspection.

For those who are considering having cataracts removed, the procedure is easy. The eyedrop regime is a bit of a grind but absolutely necessary for a quick and trouble free recovery.

Cheers!
Thanks for the good idea for “readers”. Doc suggested 2.5 between surgeries. I stuck with them until I read your post. I definitely can get by with 1.25 for reading. My distance vision is amazing. Thanks for your input👍

I was declared legally blind at the end of last year (Nov. 23). I've had both eyes done since that time.
The left eye came in at 20/20 after surgery.

The right eye,... my worst of the two, and, completely washed out,.... It improved greatly, but,... I'm going back for a second YAG Laser surgery next week.
This YAG Laser cuts a hole through the natural eye lens covering, the "lens sack", through the new implant, and then through the backside of the lens sack, in an attempt to cut a clear path through to the retina.
The YAG laser surgery is done with the eye numbing drops and dilation, but no sedation. It feels about like getting a static shock, numerous times. Its not painful, but feels like getting a sharp static shot with each laser pulse. This will be round two for me.
The reason for it is scar tissue remaining in the clear eye fluid that creates blurred vision and floaters; crazy floaters like I'm hallucinating in seeing things in my peripheral, and center of my right vision.
I waited too long for the right eye, and scar tissue is dogging me. But, I can see clearly enough out of it, which was not even slightly happening before the cataract surgery.
It is a wonderful thing to be able to see again.

Reactions: Ohplnkr
Who of you got an "advanced IOL" and what were the results? I'm up for this procedure soon and want the best possible result I can get.
I got a Toric lens in my left due to astigmatism and a regular IOL in my right. Both are fantastic and results are better than I hoped for. Hope yours are too👍

Reactions: MikeAllen
Hey guys,
I just turned 65, is it a freebie if the eye doc OK’ the procedure?
Bright lights and glare seem to create increased light dispersion.

My shooting eye could use a boost …. It’s 20/30 with glasses😛.
As you might be able to discern from my moniker, I am an optometrist. To answer your question, if you have Medicare and a supplement, cataract surgery is covered 100% (minus your annual deductible). It must be medically necessary in other words, just the presence of a cataract doesn't mean it should be removed. The vision impairment caused by the cataract must be impacting your daily activities. By the description of your vision, it sounds like it is. Have your optometrist set you up with a good cataract surgeon. They are going to know which one does the best job your area.
BTW, I wish I could show some of my patients this thread when I'm trying to convince them that they need cataract surgery. Great thread!

Reactions: cosmic and kayaker
Who of you got an "advanced IOL" and what were the results? I'm up for this procedure soon and want the best possible result I can get.
There are different types of multifocal IOL's. I am not a huge fan of most diffractive IOL's. While some people have good outcomes, not all do and you can still need glasses to see well. There is a new type of IOL out called Extended Depth of Focus. It is early days yet but so far I have been impressed with my patients visual outcome. The optics of these lenses should eliminate the unwanted side effect of traditional multifocal IOL's.

As you might be able to discern from my moniker, I am an optometrist. To answer your question, if you have Medicare and a supplement, cataract surgery is covered 100% (minus your annual deductible). It must be medically necessary in other words, just the presence of a cataract doesn't mean it should be removed. The vision impairment caused by the cataract must be impacting your daily activities. By the description of your vision, it sounds like it is. Have your optometrist set you up with a good cataract surgeon. They are going to know which one does the best job your area.
BTW, I wish I could show some of my patients this thread when I'm trying to convince them that they need cataract surgery. Great thread!
Darn it, I didn't get a supplemental policy, only Part D for drug coverage:cautious:.
Maybe next year ................

Had mine done about 2 months ago. I’m still reaching for my glasses that aren’t there. The most painless procedure with results in a blur. My shooting isn’t only better but easier. Can now shoot iron sights!
‘I got the double lens and am blown away by the results.
Don’t hesitate for a NY second if you need this done. Life is too short.
I could have had it paid for but had to wait 1-2 years. Private clinic. $6000 plus the bifocals were $3000 extra.(about 9 Weihrauch’s). Apparently never have to wear glasses again. I’m still in amazement. Crow

• Love
Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
it was explained to me that one lens is distance and the other is close focus
I think I have IOL. Both lens.
I played the game with reading glasses. My job it was glasses on and off, constantly. Don’t need to be reminded of that. The readers were an extra $3000. but not farting around with looking for readers. Supposedly for ever. 2 months later I’m still amazed how instant it was.
I haven’t shot much since I got these. Before iron sights were a guessing game. Now it’s clear, can’t wait to play. Crow

There are different types of multifocal IOL's. I am not a huge fan of most diffractive IOL's. While some people have good outcomes, not all do and you can still need glasses to see well. There is a new type of IOL out called Extended Depth of Focus. It is early days yet but so far I have been impressed with my patients visual outcome. The optics of these lenses should eliminate the unwanted side effect of traditional multifocal IOL's.
Thank you for posting this. Also thanks to the OP for adding the thread on this nearly universal topic.

Both my eyes have cataracts and some degree of astigmatism, with the right (dominant) eye being worse in both respects. But it varies. My eye doc said it’s best to wait till vision degrades further before removing the cataracts. So I am among those who eagerly await medical advances that might correct both cataracts and the focusing defects.

I had mine done too, pretty amazing, but I still have a small amount of astigmatism, but with glasses it's a game changer for me. I wish it had been so perfect like most have reported and I'm thankful for the improvement, so I'm happy.

As to Medicare, they will make you pay on the lenses, depending on what you decide to have put in. I went the one lens down from the bifocal because the doc said it wouldn't work on a lot of eyes, and I had to pay something like $1000 per eye IIRC.

If you get a tear in your retina which is a natural occurrence with age, it may result with a lot of annoying floaters. I did and tried to live with them for two years. I finally opted for a fairly new procedure where they flush out the floaters . I have completed both eyes this year and am very happy. Don’t let them tell you you will get used to them.