What a difference without cataracts

In the past month I had both eyes cataract removal. It is some tremendous shooting now. I was just out. With my old Gamo Whisper .177 with a scope. After readjusting the ocular it was so amazIng. At 35 yds. I could see where the paint chipped off my spinners even with my sunglasses on. Never shot with regular sun glasses on before. I’m 71 and to know I may have good vision for my remaining time is so great. Im glad I got the motivation to get the surgery from some of the posts on AGN. Thanks all, stay well👍🙏😉

In the past month I had both eyes cataract removal. It is some tremendous shooting now. I was just out. With my old Gamo Whisper .177 with a scope. After readjusting the ocular it was so amazIng. At 35 yds. I could see where the paint chipped off my spinners even with my sunglasses on. Never shot with regular sun glasses on before. I’m 71 and to know I may have good vision for my remaining time is so great. Im glad I got the motivation to get the surgery from some of the posts on AGN. Thanks all, stay well👍🙏😉
Simply wonderful isn't it !! i felt the same with my eyes but even more so with hearing aids what a difference .
Stan in KY

It's the most satisfying surgery in existence. Instant 20/20 vision. I was very nearsighted most of my life. I had lasik surgery about 20 years ago, and that was amazing too. After about 15 years of no corrective lenses, the cataracts kicked in, and I became slightly nearsighted again, as the cataracts altered the shape of the eye. Then I had the cataract surgery, and bingo, a teenager again! Well, not exactly, but at least as it relates to vision. Enjoy your new vision!

Glad it worked out for you, I had my eyes checked this summer for new glasses and was told I'll have to have surgery in about two years for them also. Whish I could get them done now.
I would recommend doing it as soon as insurance/Medicare will pay, and your doctor can explain it. I've heard a lot of folks say that they wished they had done it sooner, and never anyone say that they regretted it.

Cataract removal - been there, did that two years ago... very happy with the results!

I'm good for normal distances and use inexpensive Amazon "readers" for close work. I bought 1.25 diopter for reading, 2.0 for fly tying where I wanted more magnification and a pair of 3.0 for close inspection.

For those who are considering having cataracts removed, the procedure is easy. The eyedrop regime is a bit of a grind but absolutely necessary for a quick and trouble free recovery.

Cheers!

I would recommend doing it as soon as insurance/Medicare will pay, and your doctor can explain it. I've heard a lot of folks say that they wished they had done it sooner, and never anyone say that they regretted it.
I'm going to get another appointment with a different eye doctor to see why the other one said about two yrs. This would be a cake walk compared to what I've been thru with surgery's.

Reactions: cosmic and Ohplnkr
I got my new lenses three years ag and like all above was very happy . 20/20 again with amazing colors. Only down side is the sensitivity to bright light and sun light. I just wear sun glasses when I go out or drive in the daytime. Unfortunately a year after I got the caturacts taken care of I had retinal tears in both eyes within a year. I was told this is a very common thing with people over 60 as it is due to the fluid inside the eyes drying out and getting sticky and it then pulls the lining of the retina away causing a bleed. The blood then turns into cloudy floaters which obscure your vision . I just got done with a procedure where they remove and flush out the fluid of the floaters. Sounds creepy but it wasn’t bad at all and now my vision is Cristal clear again. My shooting is back as it was when I was 20 with open sights. I have a schutzen match this weekend and can’t wait to see how I do.

Hey guys,
I just turned 65, is it a freebie if the eye doc OK’ the procedure?
Bright lights and glare seem to create increased light dispersion.

My shooting eye could use a boost …. It’s 20/30 with glasses😛.
My understanding is that insurance covers it if/when it is considered a medical necessity, and I'm sure there is some technical criteria involved. Your doc can clarify. I can think of only one downside to doing it too soon, and that is if your vision is still in a state of change. Most of us need changes in our prescription during our life, and with nearsightedness, that is usually due to a slow change in the shape of the eyeball, I think. If that process continues after cataract surgery, then I expect you might again need corrective lenses. But I'm out of my depth here, and your doc will have the answer.

Reactions: Ohplnkr
Hey guys,
I just turned 65, is it a freebie if the eye doc OK’ the procedure?
Bright lights and glare seem to create increased light dispersion.

My shooting eye could use a boost …. It’s 20/30 with glasses😛.
Kind of depends on which kind of lens you get.I had to pay for my left eye due to astigmatism. It was soooo worth it though. Good luck👍

I wish I had investigated the "dual range" implants. 20/20 at distance but need the magnifiers for reading. Only surgery that gives you back, nearly, what God gave you.
I discussed this with my doc and decided against it. I don't mind using readers. He said that "most" people were satisfied with the bifocal lenses, but not all. Of course, I guess that can be said of any surgery. But he was not enthusiastic about them, and if you don't like them, a second surgery to replace them is not appealing, and I don't know about the insurance position on it. Although technology has made cataract surgery relatively routine, it involves slicing into the eyeball, and I'd rather hold that to a minimum.

There is another option. You can choose a lens that leaves you slightly nearsighted, which usually precludes the need for reading glasses. I was much more interested in having the best possible distance vision, so it didn't appeal to me, but some folks like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ohplnkr