• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

What are your favorite aspects of matches?

I'm not sure how to ask this. There are certain matches you attend that you really seem to have more fun at even if you dont score as well. Maybe it's targets all the way up in trees or maybe it's just being in the woods vs an open field. Lots of longer range shots? Well painted targets? What things are you excited to see at a match?

Edit: I see a lot of people are enjoying hanging out with people. I understand that. My question is more specifically asking about the actual targets/lanes/shooting experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: oaks1450
The thing that keeps me most interested at a course is variety - target types/sizes, heights, difficulties, etc. Particularly from a lane-to-lane perspective, I'd prefer not to have a long slog of similar shots (ie: you walk up to a lane and notice the next 4 lanes are all uphill in a row). Or that one lane where all 3 targets are similarly easier or more difficult. I'm not a 'good' shooter by any means, but I'd be happier with a 3/6 average than some 5/6 followed by 0/6.

And this. that target shouldn't be any more difficult than another at similar range, but placement is INTERESTING visually. I know not all clubs can do that, but this is one of my favorite lanes, even if I miss that guy more often than not.
1719239383181.png

And this. that target shouldn't be any more difficult than another at similar range, but placement is INTERESTING visually. I know not all clubs can do that, but this is one of my favorite lanes, even if I miss that guy more often than not.
View attachment 474674
I love that lane. It was designed by Trevor!

View attachment 474674
Thats the fun stuff, shooting thru tree stumps and such, variety! Not just a target on the ground. Like you said not all clubs can accommodate so I'm happy to get to shoot any but really enjoy the different ones when they come up. The new club at Cardinal shooting center in Columbus Ohio has a lane where you shoot thru an open tree stump. One club called NOA or Northeastern Ohio Airgunners has several neat lanes, one of which they elevate the first target extremely high and the next is far out. One club in NC has several lanes over water! A club I just shot at Sunday, Sherwood Airgunners in Steubenville OH has some extreme high and low angles of shooting uphill and downhill. Very unique! Cool experience. If the club has woods, then its up to the MDs to get creative. Thats the fun stuff and keeps people coming back.

At the Club level being monthly gatherings .... The People and Friendship they share while doing what they universally all enjoy.
I really like this. Morning of matches, people are getting ready to sight-in and prep. After match cleanup, everyone gets kinda hot, sweaty, and tired, and being mostly on Sundays here, I do feel a rush to get back home to take care of kids/animals/home.

I would definitely be in for more informal gatherings (bbq some hot dogs and shoot some spinners, bring a new aigun to show off to your friends, sit around and BS) without the stress of match day. I'd even throw in for a 'tip jar' to get access to a better shooter to go over some tips, or spend a half hour of informal training or advice on shooting position, etc.

I like to see some variety in the size/shape of targets and paint colors, a good mix of short and long targets, elevation changes, shooting across ravines or water is fun, some side swinging targets, NC course has targets in a 360 degree setup so the wind is different throughout the course, unique target locations. When you can get it, some shade on the shooting positions, level shooting positions and a minimal number of ticks, chiggers and mosquitos.

What MotorHead and PasadenaMike said....

But I;d add: EVERY match Ive been to has been a "master" class on gun setup, tuning, parts, technique etc
Hmm. For locations like Palmyra where it’s informal and geared toward beginners…

If you had someone experienced or especially knowledgeable provide a quick presentation on a topic - like Greg’s YouTube series but in person and in a format that is conducive to q&a. That could be of very high value.

I’d offer my experiences in my one or two areas of knowledge. But not every experienced shooter is interested in putting on something like that. So I offer this in the tone to tread lightly and first line up several presenters and topics before committing to it as a regular feature.

Reactions: cavedweller
Hmm. For locations like Palmyra where it’s informal and geared toward beginners…

If you had someone experienced or especially knowledgeable provide a quick presentation on a topic - like Greg’s YouTube series but in person and in a format that is conducive to q&a. That could be of very high value.

I’d offer my experiences in my one or two areas of knowledge. But not every experienced shooter is interested in putting on something like that. So I offer this in the tone to tread lightly and first line up several presenters and topics before committing to it as a regular feature.
Been a few years now ( Pre Covid ) but the SVFTC was doing Spring Workshops for our club shooters benefit. It was open to any & all who had interest in the FT game. Having several National / World & State champions in the ranks, one only needed to ask for guidance and it was done.
Yea perhaps we should revisit this once again :unsure: :unsure: