What cheap guns are actual bargains?

Hatsan 95.

For the price you pay you can't beat them. If they break send them back. When the warranty expires buy another.

Great offhand shooters and plinkers. Cheap as dirt. I shoot one daily. I keep a pair running at all times. I have bought 9 in the past 5 years and I'll buy another one soon.

Just save the box. You will be sending them back.
A great gun which can often be had refurbished for $125.
Plenty of power, you may get a nice walnut stock, decent trigger which can be improved.
For my liking, power could be reduced a tad (clipping a couple of coils off the spring) to tame recoil In .177 caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedrock Bob
As far as enjoyment for dollar spent I would say that my Beeman AR2078B and my Daisy 499B are tops. Both shoot way better than I ever expected and I have a blast playing with them.
Kenny
The Beeman QB’s and AR‘s ar “ Best Bang for the Buck“ guns and allow for endless tinkering.

A great gun which can often be had refurbished for $125.
Plenty of power, you may get a nice walnut stock, decent trigger which can be improved.
For my liking, power could be reduced a tad to tame recoil In .177 caliber.

The voice of experience indeed. Like a breath of fresh air.

Brand new with a one year warranty for $129 at Airgun depot for the past few months. Shipped to your door for $150. You just can't beat it with a stick.

They are pretty snappy. I get about 715 fps at 4000 feet altitude. When the spring breaks they slow down to about 640 and are surprisingly accurate. Mine are all .22 and have served me well.

I bought a couple Hatsan 65's. I think they were $200 each. They are just a 95 with an air tact barrel. Great thumbhole stocks. Nice wood. Adjustable cheekpiece. I like the barrel and safety better on the 95's though. When I shot the 65's to death I just put new 95 actions in the 65 stocks. Simply awesome. I love them.

You can get a refurbished 65 for $150. I'd pay that just for the stock if I didn't already have 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: daddypaddy
The voice of experience indeed. Like a breath of fresh air.

Brand new with a one year warranty for $129 at Airgun depot for the past few months. Shipped to your door for $150. You just can't beat it with a stick.

They are pretty snappy. I get about 715 fps at 4000 feet altitude. When the spring breaks they slow down to about 640 and are surprisingly accurate. Mine are all .22 and have served me well.

I bought a couple Hatsan 65's. Just a 95 with an air tact barrel. Great thumbhole stocks. Nice wood. Adjustable cheekpiece. I like the barrel and safety better on the 95's though. When I shot the 65's to death I just put new 95 actions in the 65 stocks. Simply awesome. I love them.
sounds like my kind of tinkering dream.. unfortunately my experience with hatsan usa was terrible to say the least.

sounds like my kind of tinkering dream.. unfortunately my experience with hatsan usa was terrible to say the least.

I've had good luck. I'm surprised you couldn't get them to respond.

I've sent so many back they know me by name. I keep a running email on each gun as it goes through its life cycle. That poor Kadden has spent so much time dealing with me he probably didn't have time to answer you.

Don't loose faith. I know nothing about any of their other guns. They focus on budget rifles and no doubt there is some crap out there. The 95 is a struggle too. But once you get one that works right they are solid guns.

I've sent a couple back the day I got them. It's not all wine and roses. I've made it work though. And all my repairs have been timely.

I've had good luck. I'm surprised you couldn't get them to respond.

I've sent so many back they know me by name. I keep a running email on each gun as it goes through its life cycle. That poor Kadden has spent so much time dealing with me he probably didn't have time to answer you.

Don't loose faith. I know nothing about any of their other guns. They focus on budget rifles and no doubt there is some crap out there. The 95 is a struggle too. But once you get one that works right they are solid guns.

I've sent a couple back the day I got them. It's not all wine and roses. I've made it work though. And all my repairs have been timely.
i salute you. i can relate to that dad mentality where everything can be fixed and fixed to be better than before. my blitz crapped out too

I have it's precursor, the Browning 800. It's got an anti recoil mechanism where the top half kind of floats on rails. The problem with it is that those rails are plastic and have a tendency to separate when you cock it. It was also the Hatsan gun where I first encountered their disintegrating phillips screw heads.

• Haha
I have it's precursor, the Browning 800. It's got an anti recoil mechanism where the top half kind of floats on rails. The problem with it is that those rails are plastic and have a tendency to separate when you cock it. It was also the Hatsan gun where I first encountered their disintegrating phillips screw heads.

Those fasteners are made out of a lead/play doh alloy. You can deform them with your teeth. Pellets are harder than Hatsan screws!

That barrel tensioning set screw is a thing of evil man. Just twist it off and use a prick punch to stake the tensioning bolt against the remains of that cursed thing. The genius that came up with that should have one of those set screws embedded in his fanny.

Back in the day when I bought, tuned and repaired about 15 Hatsans, I didn’t even bother with Hatsan USA ………. I was the repair shop.
I’ve now moved on to ALL Weihrauch springers, but the Hatsan 95 is a great gun for the $$$.

The Mod25 "Supercharger" has the same rails. The owners manual shows cocking it with one hand on the barrel and one on the grip. But I don't grab the grip, I grab out at the end of the spring tube/receiver, back behind the sights. It is rougher on the hand but that keeps it from separating at the rails.
I currently have the Mod25 and the Tact version, and have swapped springs and barrels back and forth. In all cases the Tact without the recoil rails shoots just as accurately as the Mod 25 with rails. Go figure.
A refurbished Hatsan on sale is about as cheap a bargain as one can get!

Reactions: Sawney Bean
i really think a notos is unbeatable in it’s price range.
pros:
-a working moderator as advertised
-manual pump friendly
-decent shot count to power ratio
-accurate
-aftermarket mods availability
- solid internals
-adjustable stock
-easily maintainable/repairable by owner

cons:
-possible magazine problems(mostly human error)
-stiff oem hammer spring (i think done on purpose to allow for breaking in after some use)
-adjustable trigger is gritty from factory but easily fixed
-moderator must be destroyed to remove.

Reactions: nobody1
here’s my notos trying out her bottle dress. it’s nice but i personally prefer the tube.
IMG_6913.jpeg

As a new member, this thread is really helpful. I see a few of my top picks in here which helps narrow down my list. Im stuck on the gamo urban, Notos, JTS Airacuda, Or air venturi avenger.
I have three of these (Gamo Urban, JTS Aircuda and the Notos) All GREAT choices, but If I had to choose only one it would be the Urban. I wasn't sure about the bolt action but have come to love it. It really is a lot of gun for the $. Any of these are winners though

Reactions: daddypaddy
I have three of these (Gamo Urban, JTS Aircuda and the Notos) All GREAT choices, but If I had to choose only one it would be the Urban. I wasn't sure about the bolt action but have come to love it. It really is a lot of gun for the $. Any of these are winners though
They are really hard choices! Every time I think I figured it out someone says something that makes me start all over again! LOL

Im leaning towards the Urban, but like the smaller size if the Notos. Ideally, to start, I would want something I can fill using a hand pump and then ultimately graduate to a compressor. Is the Notos the only one of the 3 that are easy to fill with the pump or is the Urban similar?

Actually I think the best bargin is a Diana Airbug, or Chaser. I have some rather high end guns, no pcp types, but some older restored FWB 65's and 80's. a couple of IZH 46m moedels and then a HW 45 and 75, along with seveal variants on the Crosman 2240. For fun and accuracy the Airbug is hard to beat at it's price, the trigger is ok and can be tweaked quit a bit, I replaced some of the grub screws in my trigger with ball end screws and it made them much better.