What cheap guns are actual bargains?

They are really hard choices! Every time I think I figured it out someone says something that makes me start all over again! LOL

Im leaning towards the Urban, but like the smaller size if the Notos. Ideally, to start, I would want something I can fill using a hand pump and then ultimately graduate to a compressor. Is the Notos the only one of the 3 that are easy to fill with the pump or is the Urban similar?
In general, lower pressure is what you want for use with a hand pump, but more volume is almost always better. It’s just much easier to fill to 2000 psi than 4500 psi with a hand pump. More shots per fill on the other hand is just always better. If you’re hand pumping you don’t always have to fill it all the way up, just enough for you to get your desired number of consistent shots, but it’s nice to have 100 shots available if the gun is capable of it. Having to stop and charge it every 10 shots or so because that’s all the capacity you have is almost always a drag.

They are really hard choices! Every time I think I figured it out someone says something that makes me start all over again! LOL

Im leaning towards the Urban, but like the smaller size if the Notos. Ideally, to start, I would want something I can fill using a hand pump and then ultimately graduate to a compressor. Is the Notos the only one of the 3 that are easy to fill with the pump or is the Urban similar?
If hand pumping to fill then I would choose the Notos. Really good accuracy at 25yds (havent tried further) with 16 or 18gr JSBs, AAs, or FX pellets. Even the cheep crosman HP pellets shot well. Its a winner in my book. Not to confuse things more, but I started with the JTS Aircuda standard and hand pump. Got a bit tiring. The Notos is a quicker fill with less shots. If thats ok with you then Notos would be a logical and GREAT first PCP. Have fun!!

I have three of these (Gamo Urban, JTS Aircuda and the Notos) All GREAT choices, but If I had to choose only one it would be the Urban. I wasn't sure about the bolt action but have come to love it. It really is a lot of gun for the $. Any of these are winners though
it was between the notos and the ur

notos has a 66cc tube capacity. if the urban has a larger capacity, it will take longer to fill with a manual pump than the notos

Reactions: Arby186
it was between the notos and the ur

notos has a 66cc tube capacity. if the urban has a larger capacity, it will take longer to fill with a manual pump than the notos
The Urban has a 105 cc reservoir. IMO, the only downsides to that relative to a 66cc reservoir are size and weight. A bigger tube will of course be bigger and heavier, but all else being equal you’re going to get the exact same number of shots per pump stroke. The bigger tube can just hold more of them.

Personally though, I’d probably choose the Notos over the Urban. It’s smaller, less expensive and has a regulator. I’ve also just been more impressed by Umarex than I have by Gamo.

Last edited:
Just bit the bullet and got back into PCP’s. At least one. I had a Hill pump kicking around for many years after getting out of PCP’s. Had a Daystate Wolverine, Airforce Talon, Airforce Texan, Sumatra lever and few others. Just stopped shooting them and got back to my Springers. Which I kept. So, after rediscovering my love for pumpers and their wonderful firing behavior, I started thinking about PCP’s again. I do not want to dive deep back into them. Just one to pump. I need the workout. I did some research and ended up with the JTS Standard in .22 caliber. Been enjoying it very much. For a cheapie, it’s a lot of gun. Good trigger, quiet, accurate and powerful. I like the power adjustment capability also. So with the gun filled to 3000 psi, at power level three, which sends a 14.3 grain CPHP initially at 840fps, 100 shots later it’s still getting 775fps. Not bad. Then it’s time for the wife to get pumping again. 😂 WARNING! The stock on the JTS is as ugly as they come. Color wise. So, I did refinish the stock, first thing. All in all, I would highly recommend the JTS Standard. Oh ya, it takes about 200 pumps with the Hill pump to fill the tank back to 3000psi. Then I have 100 shots in waiting. Before and after pictures.
C6B56105-A0B4-4F4A-9F4C-643BCC0FB882.jpeg

Just bit the bullet and got back into PCP’s. At least one. I had a Hill pump kicking around for many years after getting out of PCP’s. Had a Daystate Wolverine, Airforce Talon, Airforce Texan, Sumatra lever and few others. Just stopped shooting them and got back to my Springers. Which I kept. So, after rediscovering my love for pumpers and their wonderful firing behavior, I started thinking about PCP’s again. I do not want to dive deep back into them. Just one to pump. I need the workout. I did some research and ended up with the JTS Standard in .22 caliber. Been enjoying it very much. For a cheapie, it’s a lot of gun. Good trigger, quiet, accurate and powerful. I like the power adjustment capability also. So with the gun filled to 3000 psi, at power level three, which sends a 14.3 grain CPHP initially at 840fps, 100 shots later it’s still getting 775fps. Not bad. Then it’s time for the wife to get pumping again. 😂 WARNING! The stock on the JTS is as ugly as they come. Color wise. So, I did refinish the stock, first thing. All in all, I would highly recommend the JTS Standard. Oh ya, it takes about 200 pumps with the Hill pump to fill the tank back to 3000psi. Then I have 100 shots in waiting. Before and after pictures.View attachment 487847

Thats a nice rifle and a great job on the stock.

I just checked them out on the AOA website. What a great value.

I'm thrify. A tightwad even. I'm skeptical of my need for a PCP. But that one just isn't much of a gamble.

Thanks for your info and photos. Great craftsmanship on the stock as well!

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
I do have several Hatsan’s. The 95 is a good place to learn about barrel cockers. The Quattro trigger is a four lever and can be gotten down to about a pound, with longer adjustment screws added. I have been tinkering on Hatsan’s for over a decade. All the Vortex gas rams have been converted back to springs after they ALL have eventually failed. I tune the gun and add a sleeve in the piston. They all shoot strong with no twang. Very accurate! These are three 95’s I converted into carbines. 177-top, 22-middle, 25-bottom.
D8F15E20-2779-43A6-AE32-B58C51D96D96.png

I'm thrify. A tightwad even. I'm skeptical of my need for a PCP. But that one just isn't much of a gamble.
Me too. I shoot primarily .22 caliber. Almost always CPHP. I must have nearly 100 tins. Bought them years ago for under $6 a tin of 500. Made in the USA. Plenty accurate enough for me. I’m all in on a bargain. You will enjoy the JTS. It’s a good deal of a gun.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I do have several Hatsan’s. The 95 is a good place to learn about barrel cockers. The Quattro trigger is a four lever and can be gotten down to about a pound, with longer adjustment screws added. I have been tinkering on Hatsan’s for over a decade. All the Vortex gas rams have been converted back to springs after they ALL have eventually failed. I tune the gun and add a sleeve in the piston. They all shoot strong with no twang. Very accurate! These are three 95’s I converted into carbines. 177-top, 22-middle, 25-bottom. View attachment 487852

I've broken over a dozen 95s! Pretty darn good guns. And those triggers all adjust great with a few strokes of a file on the trigger under the first stage screw. They don't last forever but they are still a solid shooting rifle.

Here's my favorite. In a Mod 65 stock. I started a thread about it somewhere on this forum but I don't know how to link to it.

20240810_104514.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
I've had good luck. I'm surprised you couldn't get them to respond.

I've sent so many back they know me by name. I keep a running email on each gun as it goes through its life cycle. That poor Kadden has spent so much time dealing with me he probably didn't have time to answer you.

Don't loose faith. I know nothing about any of their other guns. They focus on budget rifles and no doubt there is some crap out there. The 95 is a struggle too. But once you get one that works right they are solid guns.

I've sent a couple back the day I got them. It's not all wine and roses. I've made it work though. And all my repairs have been timely.
Just laughing at the poor kadden part here. I've always heard Hatsan were trash, but honestly, if they were trash at some point they have gotten much better since. In the last 3 years that I have needed service Kadden has gone the extra mile to help. I got sent 2 replacement barrels for my At-44 side lever .177 because one didnt have rifling all the way and the other was 2 loose. Also on a flashpup that was refurbished, (they warrant for 90 days) would only shoot select pellets due to bore being oversized. I told them about my situation and they asked me to send the gun back to them and they sent it back with a good barrel. Even if their guns don't work perfectly out the door, their customer service has me coming back to them.

Just laughing at the poor kadden part here. I've always heard Hatsan were trash, but honestly, if they were trash at some point they have gotten much better since. In the last 3 years that I have needed service Kadden has gone the extra mile to help. I got sent 2 replacement barrels for my At-44 side lever .177 because one didnt have rifling all the way and the other was 2 loose. Also on a flashpup that was refurbished, (they warrant for 90 days) would only shoot select pellets due to bore being oversized. I told them about my situation and they asked me to send the gun back to them and they sent it back with a good barrel. Even if their guns don't work perfectly out the door, their customer service has me coming back to them.
ordering a gun, shooting it a handful of times before failure and having to ship it back because of quality control and then wait another week or more before getting some trigger time is kinda lame.

Reactions: Sawney Bean
ordering a gun, shooting it a handful of times before failure and having to ship it back because of quality control and then wait another week or more before getting some trigger time is kinda lame.
It definitely can't be but I only ever buy hatsans when I want to shoot .177 slugs at high power at a super affordable price which is what they are good at.

Reactions: Scotay42
As a new member, this thread is really helpful. I see a few of my top picks in here which helps narrow down my list. Im stuck on the gamo urban, Notos, JTS Airacuda, Or air venturi avenger.
I have all 3 guns and can say with out a doubt that the JTS Airacuda is the best hands down ...All the guns are accurate the air venturi has real cheap plastic stock ..and I have had issues with Reg creep ....The Gamo urban has a beautiful stock and is very accurate but has a small air reservoir which isn't real bad ..but its my only complaint all in all a great gun ..the Notos is awesome small Regulated well built ..and again very accurate if you like a small rifle this one is for you ...It also has a small air tube ..which you can get about 21 great shots on it before it falls off the reg .. Now the JtS Airacuda is well made all metal Super accurate ..and has a good size air tube which you can get about 40 good shots on it ..it comes with a shrouded barrel which makes it real quiet.However it is not Regulated ..But with the big air reservoir it is not a issue. JTS also has a all metal Magizine which is the best magizine i have ever used .To me the Jts has everything you could ask for in a rifle

The current Marauder is a great rifle and very affordable alternative. Easy to fill at 2900 PSI and shoots CPHP's all day long. Easy to work on and has a great trigger out of the box. A very robust rifle worth checking out.

Reactions: Reg Creep
The Gamo Urban . Your basically getting a BSA with a Gamo trigger . Made in the UK and under 300 bucks . Rarely hear of issues .

PP700 for 200 bucks. Well built and accurate. Feels good when shooting off hand.

I also have a .25 Umerex Origin that has up to 50fpe that I purchased for Raccoons. It doesn't get shot as much as some but is accurate, hits hard , decent trigger and is cheap . I think it has a 5 year warranty also . I can get the same power and better accuracy from my Maverick. 22 so the Origin got moved to the back closet corner.