What Did I Do? Any ideas?

Tried to do some pesting today using my FX Boss. In my excitement to take a shot I pulled the trigger while my cocking lever was pulled BACK. I immediately knew something was wrong as the sound was LOUD & way different. My breech/barrel o‐ring is still in place but a small o-ring got forced into an empty chamber of the magazine. Gun will not cock nor will trigger reset. Never had any reason to disassemble the Boss before. That will change SOON! Any thoughts? (Here's a picture of the o-ring that got forced into the mag.)

20230209_165349.jpg

Tried to do some pesting today using my FX Boss. In my excitement to take a shot I pulled the trigger while my cocking lever was pulled BACK. I immediately knew something was wrong as the sound was LOUD & way different. My breech/barrel o‐ring is still in place but a small o-ring got forced into an empty chamber of the magazine. Gun will not cock nor will trigger reset. Never had any reason to disassemble the Boss before. That will change SOON! Any thoughts? (Here's a picture of the o-ring that got forced into the mag.)

View attachment 330984
I had to super glue the oring on my Wildcat’s magazine

View attachment 330984
If breech O-ring (from parts diagram, part B1) is in place than the O-ring that got blown into the mag, is probably an O-ring from pellet probe assembly ( part C2 on parts diagram).

Parts diagram ---> https://fxairguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Boss.pdf

Reactions: Ezana4CE
The event you describe can blow out the breech seal on a Royale 400. I don't see how the O ring on the probe could end up there, but it's worth taking a look. What happened to the pellet that was in the mag chamber where the O ring is? As a .30, it's probably easier to see into the breech, but, are you sure the entire breech O ring is still intact. I once had a similar failure, and what I thought was a complete O ring was only part of it. Of course, you can tell if the one in the magazine is complete. The fact that the rifle will not cock is puzzling. As you begin your disassembly, you can probably see what's going on there. Possibly the trigger adjustment got knocked around enough to cause it, as I know it can easily be adjusted to a point that prevents cocking. Good luck. I think you will find that it is an easy fix. I would remove the bottle drain the plenum before fiddling with it.

Reactions: HogKiller
Hard to diagnose by thought waves.............however it sounds like the cocking pin in the loading block suffered getting bent or worse.

Only one way to find out, take the bottle off and make sure no pressure is in the rifle and take the top half of it apart.
Or if not comfortable with that, contact FX USA and send it to them, generally very reasonable and for sure top notch service.

Kit

I have done this several times with various PCP’s and the FX brands are the only ones that blew the internal barrel Oring back into the magazine. Here is my solution:
Remove the barrel and find a wooden dowel at your local hardware store that will just slide down through the barrel to the internal Oring grove. This will act as a stop when you work the Oring down into the barrel. Otherwise, without the dowel, the Oring will simply fold up double and keep going past the grove on its way to the muzzle. Good luck.

I have done this several times with various PCP’s and the FX brands are the only ones that blew the internal barrel Oring back into the magazine. Here is my solution:
Remove the barrel and find a wooden dowel at your local hardware store that will just slide down through the barrel to the internal Oring grove. This will act as a stop when you work the Oring down into the barrel. Otherwise, without the dowel, the Oring will simply fold up double and keep going past the grove on its way to the muzzle. Good luck.
The BARREL o-ring is IN PLACE. The o-ring that's in the magazine came from BEHIND the mag, not in front. Centercut has graciously agreed to help. When we get together I'm sure our BRILLIANT minds can figure it out. Until then I'm stuck with only my .22 & .25, ONLY. Such a 1st world problem! Thanks to all who responded. BTW, barrel is clear, no jammed pellets so, for sure, problem is in the breech mechanics.

With the barrel off, that breech seal isn't that hard to insert, should be easier in a .30. If you can rub your head and pat your tummy at the same time, you can do it! But it seemed to still be in place, which is a puzzle.
I can do that but I can't walk & chew gum at the same time 🤪

Reactions: HogKiller
Thanks pal! I believe it's the probe o-ring but won't be sure til I disassemble. The inability to cock & reset trigger is worrisome.
Hopefully the pin that the cocking arm linkage is connected to didn’t get bent, Gerry. Typically what happens when a gun gets fired wiyh the handle cocked back is everything slams forward, so the pin will naturally get bent forward, also. So now when it comes time to re cock the gun the linkage can’t pull the block back thst little bit to engage the sear. The pin only protrudes out of the cocking block the thickness of the cocking linkage steel so grabbing a pair of needle nose pliers in hopes of bending that pin back won’t work. I haven’t looked at the FX parts diagram to see if the pin is a removable and replaceable item, hopefully it is.

You want more bad news? Don’t mean to be the bearer of it but I want you to be prepared, buddy, and the hole that thst pin goes thru, on the linkage, hoorgully it didn’t wallow out larger from the force of the misfire.

So worse case scenario- bent pin, cocking linkage hole wallowed out or torn. Good news is it’s an FX, and parts are readily available!

I’m unfamiliar with that gun but when you and Mike tear into it, let me know if the linkage did get damaged at all and if Mike can identify the linkage closely and if it looks like it’s the same as what impacts use, let me know, as I may have a spare, ok.

Keep us posted on your findings snd fixes

Hopefully the pin that the cocking arm linkage is connected to didn’t get bent, Gerry. Typically what happens when a gun gets fired wiyh the handle cocked back is everything slams forward, so the pin will naturally get bent forward, also. So now when it comes time to re cock the gun the linkage can’t pull the block back thst little bit to engage the sear. The pin only protrudes out of the cocking block the thickness of the cocking linkage steel so grabbing a pair of needle nose pliers in hopes of bending that pin back won’t work. I haven’t looked at the FX parts diagram to see if the pin is a removable and replaceable item, hopefully it is.

You want more bad news? Don’t mean to be the bearer of it but I want you to be prepared, buddy, and the hole that thst pin goes thru, on the linkage, hoorgully it didn’t wallow out larger from the force of the misfire.

So worse case scenario- bent pin, cocking linkage hole wallowed out or torn. Good news is it’s an FX, and parts are readily available!

I’m unfamiliar with that gun but when you and Mike tear into it, let me know if the linkage did get damaged at all and if Mike can identify the linkage closely and if it looks like it’s the same as what impacts use, let me know, as I may have a spare, ok.

Keep us posted on your findings snd fixes
I texted you. Nothing bent or missing in linkage. I believe my trigger sear cracked. I'll know soon enough. New parts already ordered.