What did you do airgun related today.

I shot my HW95 .20 cal. I love this gun. I have PCPs but there is something about a springer that's so relaxing, Zen like. First shot of the day from 25 yards with peep sight. Front arm wrapped in the sling resting on the back of a chair butt stock in my shoulder.

11.jpg

Air gun related yes , looked at the weather forecast and it looks like the next few days the remnants of storm Helen will pass right over supposed to rain and 16 to18 mile wind gust at times , as long as i stay dry i will try to shoot @ 20 yards . when you get lemons you make lemonade .

So, how to grade air guns design and OEM selection of O-rings. You can't live with air guns and not have o-rings. So, 1) what is the best material for air gun O-rings? @) Do different areas/applications require different materials and/or durometers. 3) Do manufacturers just throw whatever size and type of o-ring than can get in terms of economy of scale? 4) Can I select a better O-ring, including size, material and durometer than OEM? I would suggest that an airgun that uses fewer O-rings might be a better design? So in the sales pitch of an airgun why not pitch O-ring replacement advantages.

For instance, an air gun leaks. Instead of having the owner agonize of where the leak is, why not just design the gun to easily change out the O-rings without having to have a physics degree from MIT?

So, how to grade air guns design and OEM selection of O-rings. You can't live with air guns and not have o-rings. So, 1) what is the best material for air gun O-rings? @) Do different areas/applications require different materials and/or durometers. 3) Do manufacturers just throw whatever size and type of o-ring than can get in terms of economy of scale? 4) Can I select a better O-ring, including size, material and durometer than OEM? I would suggest that an airgun that uses fewer O-rings might be a better design? So in the sales pitch of an airgun why not pitch O-ring replacement advantages.

For instance, an air gun leaks. Instead of having the owner agonize of where the leak is, why not just design the gun to easily change out the O-rings without having to have a physics degree from MIT?
I use Buna-N (Nitrile) O-rings almost 100% on my rebuilds. Most are 70 durometer with a few specific ones needing 90+. Some older CO2 airguns require nylon O-rings in specific area. The higher the durometer, the harder it is to install and not damage it. Also in manufacturing process, the more complex the design is to eliminate sealing areas, the higher the cost to make it. There has been a lot of progress in minimizing sealing area due to process automation. I spent more than 20 years in manufacturing process development.

@Genob , for instance. I got a "massive" O-ring kit from Amazon, Buna-N and 70 D. One of my AA S200 air tubes was leaking. I replaced the major o-ring with one from the "kit." Pumped the gun up to 2700psi and let it sit, it held. I simply dropped the old o-ring into the slot of what appeared to be the right size and away we went, easy peasy.

Reactions: Genob
@Genob , for instance. I got a "massive" O-ring kit from Amazon, Buna-N and 70 D. One of my AA S200 air tubes was leaking. I replaced the major o-ring with one from the "kit." Pumped the gun up to 2700psi and let it sit, it held. I simply dropped the old o-ring into the slot of what appeared to be the right size and away we went, easy peasy.
Yes same here, I have several amazon and Grainger master kits. Amazon black O-rings are 70 duro and the reds are in the 50's.