What do you shoot at

We shoot mostly cocktail picks, dressmaker's pins and paintballs. We used to try and find the smallest possible cocktail picks, but now instead use any size we can get cheap, and we 'whittle' the big ones down. Some can take 5-6 shots before completely disappearing! Then we shoot the stick down in maybe 1/2" increments. Neat thing is that you can get holiday themed cocktail picks to keep your weekly airgun group shoots interesting.
View attachment 499763
View attachment 499765

Paintball targets can be 'seasonal' as well. Just this week on the day of our shoot it was 'National Pancake Day'. We use the smaller .50 call paintballs. Before and after views of our target:

View attachment 499766View attachment 499767

With glue and toothpicks (and some time) you can make biodegradable targets pretty much as small as you like.
View attachment 499772

View attachment 499762
Wish I was THAT good. Goals…

I forgot.

Also very much like to shoot straws and branches / flowers in the grass, for a reasonable chance of a hit within 50 M, but i have stretched it out now and then, but then it get orders of magnitude harder to pull off.
At 100 + yards, you would want 1/2 inch branches at least, and then they have to be dry to break them in one shot, a fresh branch will need many hits with a .177.
But up close something like the size of the caliber you shoot is fine.

Moist aggravating shooting not directly backed stuff is, you often do not see where you miss, so in those cases i like to have something close by i can take a shot at now and then to see where i am at.

Previous outing i was shooting at a lump of dirt way back there, and after that was levelled just two pieces of old branches lying on the ground a foot further away.

A man can only shoot paper for so long.

This summer i also whacked a blackbird when i was testing 20 grain in my rifle, at 60-65 M distance the bird did a forward somersault and then nothing.
Generally though i dont really shoot at birds, i dont think we have any here that is / would be classified as pests, but pretty sure many a farmer here are pissed about starlings ASO.

I print these targets out on 4x6" thermal shipping labels and then stick them on the various empty Amazon and other shipping boxes received during the week. I sit those on the ground in front of small logs set at 20, 30, and 40 yds in the yard. Slap a new target label over the old one a few times after it's shot up. Once the boxes are shot full of holes or after they get soaked in the rain, they just get tossed in the recycling. Completely free (even the labels with a biz shipping account) and zero maintenance. Don't even need to buy ink for the printer since it's thermal paper. Been doing it this way for years. At 50 yds I have a small steel target gallery with various flippers and spinners.

IMG_7017.JPG

Reactions: BABz58
Lately I've been shooting a lot of padlocks. We cut the old ones off of equipment and replace them with new ones where I work, so I've got dozens of these old and very solid padlocks. I just hang them on strings and when they're hit it puts them in motion.

A couple months ago I was shooting a lot of plums. They make a very satisfying splat when you hit them dead on and shatter the pits. Cherries make good targets as well. I don't like to waste food, but when these are in season we have so many that most go to waste anyway.

Other good targets that I've used include aspirin tablets and pennies. The aspirins are cheap and explode in a cloud of dust when hit. Drill a hole in the pennies and hang them from a string. You could use a washer too, but pennies are cheaper and less useful.

I've also just used any old scrap of metal in the past. Scraps of copper or galvanized pipe and fittings can be hung on strings and make an audible clang when hit.

I also shoot a lot of cardboard boxes. I'll either mark a small dot on them with a sharpie or I'll punch a hole in them and stick a dandelion head through it. The dandelion heads really stand out against the cardboard and they're just more fun to shoot than a dot of ink.