• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Do You Use For Backstop?

Since this thread started I've made a couple more pellet traps but I also still have the old electrical box. Both new ones are made of plywood scraps. Woodworking at least used to be my main hobby so I have scraps around and tools to make a box. The basic idea is a wood box with a metal piece inside on the back to minimize the chance a shot makes it out. A softwood frame around the front provides a place to fasten a piece of cardboard to. The cardboard is clamped in place and protected by 1/8 inch flat stock from Home Depot. That was all I purchased. I make the softwood 1/4 inch wider than the plywood overhanging it on the inside to minimize the chance a shot hits the sides of the box. The deeper box is made of 3/4 plywood and the metal protection is 1 inch wide. The shallower box is made of 1/2 inch plywood so the 1/8 inch metal is 3/4 wide. I use the shallower one for my airguns less than 35 fpe and the deeper one for the 25s which are over 40 fpe. The traps are filled with rubber mulch.

Both boxes are sized such that the metal on the front is wide enough apart that a 8.5 inch piece of paper (the target) doesn't touch them. But on the top and bottom the metal overhangs the 11 inch wide paper target holding it in place. To replace the target I use a screwgun to back the screws off on the top and bottom and replace the paper. Takes a minute or two. Occasionally I take all the metal off and replace the cardboard. I'm happy with these designs, they work well for me. Pellets do not damage the 1/8 inch steel. No dents at all so far.

I also tried separating mulch from pellets with water. I think it is a good way to go. Some of the mulch sinks but the pellets tend to be on the very bottom of the water bucket. A little separating of pellets and mulch is still required afterwards but the water is a good first step to get most of the mulch out of the way. I will dump the trap into a bucket full of water in the future, scoop out as much "pure mulch" as possible and then dump the bucket and use my blower on the residue. That worked pretty well last time.

A great quiet backstop is a cardboard box filled with old clothes. A good strong box that is at least 12”x12” and pack tight with old clothes will do the job and be very quiet in the process. The bigger the box the better. The pellets stay safely contained in the box for later disposal.
Kenny
Box with old clothes is good to stop and save arrows. For pellets, rubber mulch is better, after some time can clean the box of all the lead.

Dirt . I'm going to make a pellet trap also .

20240413_142513.jpg

What Do You Use For Backstop? Shooting .25 at around 860 to 900fps. JSB Heavies
I do not have any Data for .25 but I use paper targets taped to card box backed with cheap carpet backed by 15 X 21 11 Gauge steel plate I have shot it at least 15,ooo times I only use lead pellets they turn to powder and fall straight down I sue .22 from different guns

I prefer not to leave any evidence of my activities out in the yard, so I keep things portable. I use a short, 2.5" section of 4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe stuffed with 1 pound of duct seal. I hang them on garden hooks out in the yard when I'm shooting and bring them in when I'm done. They catch all my lead, but I'm shooting .177 anywhere from 23 fpe on down to 5 fpe. About once a year I pull out the duct seal and replace it with fresh stuff.

IMG_9790.jpg

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
Big fan of the tote and rubber mulch too….

IMG_3347.jpeg

Having been involved in the “mining” of a couple indoor ranges that use chopped rubber backstop…. I’m very impressed with the ability of the mulch to stop a projectile. I’ve shot this box with several .22lr rounds, and stopped them like a champ. I won’t hesitate to shoot this box with the .30 when it gets here next week.