What does it take??

I have been hunting for over 25 years. It is a way of life for me and my family. After years of hunting, the tiny .22LR has always been a "squirrel" gun and nothing more. Yes, I have killed many animals much larger than a squirrel with a .22LR, but only because it was at hand when something had to die. Yet after watching a .22LR kill hogs and cattle for slaughter, take down yotes while squirrel hunting, and tons of raccoons with dogs thrashing the trees they were in, the .22LR is still only good for squirrels?? At over 100fpe from a standard length rifle barrel, the .22LR has more energy than nearly all but the big bore air rifles. Wait a minute...... how can an airgun kill anything?? After a number of years hunting and pesting with airguns, I realize that my collection of .22 rimfires has alot more capability than I have given them prior!!

So, airgun hunting is my thing. I love hunting with airguns. I have taken everything from coyotes down to mice and small pest birds with an airgun. My old mentality regarding how much power is needed to take a critter has changed ALOT since becoming an "Airgun Hunter". I still believe that there is no replacement for plenty of FPE and big calibers still make big holes, but a precision shot from an airgun will flip the switch on alot of animals!! Remember that airguns DO require precise shot placement to kill anything. There is no hydro shock or massive impact trama that exists with most any firearm. We have to rely on placing a pellet with the precision of a brain surgeon removing a tumor. So, if the pellet hits its mark, how much energy(FPE) do we need to humanely kill critters?

Pest birds such as sparrows and starlings need very little energy to be cleanly killed. I find that alomst any airgun is capable of killing pest birds at respectable ranges per the guns capability. Rabbits, squirrels, and similarly sized critters take more FPE than pest birds but they don't require alot of energy "if" you hit them in the right spot. I have found as little as 5fpe even from a .177 is ample to take out critters in this size range. Animals like raccoon and oppossum can be killed with as little as 5fpe but that tends to be the "one in a million" shot. I would prefer a minimum of 15-20fpe for clean kills, but 15-20fpe at point of impact, not at the muzzle!! 30fpe at POI will make animals in this size range instant dead. For coyote sized animals, I want a minimum of 30fpe at POI but I prefer 40fpe at POI and will take ALL the energy I can get for animals in this size range!! I will say that 50 FPE at POI with a properly placed pellet "should" kill any medium sized animal you could ever dream of killing and maybe some larger.

My mileage may vary from yours, but hope this gives a decent guideline for "what it takes" to humanely kill a certain sized critter. Keep in mind that my numbers are solely based on pellets that impact the "kill zone". Properly placed shots will be key to get the most bang out of whatever FPE(energy) your airgun has to offer.

Right on! I agree that the most crucial variable is shot placement. I think the reason game laws prohibit smaller calibers for larger game is that not everyone hunts with precision. We are a group of elite individuals that strive for excellent shot placement, and now we video our shots and critique ourselves to try and be even better. Its like instant replay on football. We really want to know if we are doing our best. I look at my shots and say darn, I should have been 2mm higher on that one. Its not that the animal didn't die quickly, but it could have been placed more precisely. Hopefully we are not just slinging lead. BUT, we are few. I know plenty of rogue hunters here where I live that just shoot into the crowd.

This is why I like air guns.... it is because you have to place your shot and do it well .
I have never been one to take a fast shot , even when I was a powder burner.
I am willing to sit and wait for the perfect shot (small game). If by chance I do not get
the perfect shot -- oh well big deal. Never will I take a chance shot and hope for the best. 
Seen to many people wound animals only to see the animal running away injured.. There is always another day.

I practice all the time (almost everyday) .. can't get enough. Makes it great that I can practice up to 60 yards in back yard.
I make sure I can place 5 out of 5 shots into a half inch with a gun before I decide to hunt that distance with that gun...
If say, I am not comfy with a gun anymore than 25 yards, so be it... I sit and watch and hope the squirrel comes my way.

I have guns I am happy with to 40 yards ...so thats is how far I shoot with those guns..
I make sure I know my limits with each of the guns I own, and don't try to kill beyond the guns limit. 

I to am one of those people that hates being a 1/4 inch off that 1/2 inch target... drives me nuts... So I practice and practice
and even practice more....

I started experimenting the energy lately with my Air Arms S500 in .22. At the lowest power settings, it is able to launch 19gr H&N Hunters Extreme pellet at 510fps which produces 11FPE at the muzzle. The shiny pellet actually moves at a pace I can see with my eyes in the scope in sunny days. 

This turns out to be plenty of energy to kill squirrels and pest birds. The pellet will pass right through the pest bird and embedded itself into the 2"x4"s backdrop, when hitting in the head of squirrels, it results in instance death. There is no exit wound on these squirrels, which means the head actually absorbs all the energies carried by the pellet.

This goes back to what everyone has been saying, "shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement!".

This is a great discussion. I too appreciate the importance of ethic kills regardless of the animal's pest status, and would turn around in a heartbeat if I noticed any compromising in that department. I live in Sweden, which despite being home to FX has very limiting FPE regulations setting license-free air guns at a maximum of 10 joules which works out to a meager 7.4 FPE at the muzzle. Using a .22 with a fairly heavy projectile (14-16gr) for this power at close range (15 yds.), a well placed shot is way more than adequate for taking rats for example. Straight through and hard into the backstop on direct side headshots, exit wounds behind the shoulder on sharp angled frontal headshots. Working at low power really tests your marksmanship and that's definitely a part of what makes hunting with air interesting. Ted talks in one of his videos about how low power regulations in Europe have led to the refinement and evolution of airguns into what they are today regarding precision and air management. Interesting stuff. I'm in no way advocating the broad use of low power. If you practice enough, keep shot placement and marksmanship at the forefront, and use a precision gun, you can get results with lower powers. 

Accuracy and consistency were the major factors in my move from springers to PCP. I too am accuracy obsessed and my Bobcat amazes me with almost every shot. Heck, I am sitting on the deck right now and just head shot a chipmunk from 70 yards. And I do it all the time. It's amazing. Not possible with my previous springers....I would not have even thought about taking shots like that. And even at that distance, it hits them hard and they are dead, like right now.