“What is a Bullpup?” Blog post by Tom Gaylord

I’ve always liked firearm bullpups but I don’t own any mainly due to the cost and because I’m left handed. Keltec, FN, and IWI make either ambi units or left hand conversions but they are out of my price range. On the air rifle side of things the air rifle bullpups appear to be right hand only and my left cheek weld will be on the side lever. The all in cost of a high end pcp is also out of my price range.

Last edited:
I’ve always liked firearm bullpups but I don’t own any mainly due to the cost and because I’m left handed. Keltec, FN, and IWI make either ambi units or left hand conversions but they are out of my price range. On the air rifle side of things the air rifle bullpups appear to be right hand only and my left cheek weld will be on the side lever. The all in cost of a high end pcp is also out of my price range.
@luckybuckeye If the airguns don't have mags that are situated in the middle of the loading port then I can see that being an issue. My Edgun Lelya 2.0 (R5M platform) has the magazine protruding out on the right side which may cause issues. Aside from that it can be cocked from either side. I believe that my .357 Bulldog can have the cocking lever moved to either side. The mag sits in the center so this should work for left and right-handed shooters. It does seem that most of of the guns I've shot are biased to right-hand shooters in one respect or another.

Concerning some of the advantages of the bullpup I think he hit the nail on the head. The compactness of the airgun with a barrel length that doesn't sacrifice a lot of velocity, if any, as opposed to a carbine. Love the concept!! Funny how some commenters don't seem to understand how some hunters appraciate the compactness of a bullpup when moving through thick or heavy brush or thickets. Some animals like to bed down in it, especially when pressured. Wounded animals will head to cover quick if it's around. Either way, when you're on them the gun goes too.

Last edited:
Way back when, When the "Shot Show" was held at the main Los Angeles Police Department, A couple of friends and I went.
This was my first (most peoples) exposure to the Austrian, AUG Bullpup which was not released for sale yet. It was MOST people's first exposure to the Bullpup design, even though there were already one or two designed. I don't think any/many ever made it to the sales counter before the AUG.
It came in two barrel lengths, one a "Police" length of 16" (as I recall), and a civilian length of 21" (as I recall). I got in line. About two months later, I received a phone call to pick up my new AUG.
It was about 28" long with the long barrel. The scope was only a 1.5x magnification. The original guns were designed to shoot only the .223 cartridge. They've been redesigned to shoot a hand full of different cartridges currently.

Fun gun to shoot, especially since this was a very early shipment, and VERY few were around to buy. Not even gun shops had them in stock yet. Got LOTSA attention the couple of times that I went to outdoor ranges, so I mostly stayed with friends in the foothills of Saugus CA. for most of my shooting.
The bolt, the barrel/sight, and the various springs, and pins were about all that was a metallic material. EVERYTHING else was plastic, even the hammer.

1677281224923.png

Mike

Reactions: luckybuckeye
I think Bullpups are super sexy and that is why they are so popular with airgunners, I also think because of the need to have the scope high over the bore they aren't all that great for hunting since we rely much more on shot placement them outright power.....maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen Firearms hunters using bullpups.

Military ? ........heck yeahhhh perfect platform !

I think Bullpups are super sexy and that is why they are so popular with airgunners, I also think because of the need to have the scope high over the bore they aren't all that great for hunting since we rely much more on shot placement them outright power.....maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen Firearms hunters using bullpups.

Military ? ........heck yeahhhh perfect platform !
From what I've gathered we need a longer barrel for more energy so a Bullpup gives us that with a overall shorter gun. Firearms just need more powder.

From what I've gathered we need a longer barrel for more energy so a Bullpup gives us that with a overall shorter gun. Firearms just need more powder.
True that, I just think that the shorter gun advantage does not supersed the disadvantage of the higher scope.

I take a 40" rifle with a scope on the bore hunting anyday before a 30" Bullpup,...anyday.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
That's the biggest complaint for a bullpup, the scope height and your face smashed against the breech or magazine.

If you know your rig, you can get around the trajectory issues with the scope sitting so high up. I don't shoot the one I have enough to know off hand where it's POI is at 10 yard vs it's 40 yard zero. Need to spend some more time with it and make a shot card.

That's the biggest complaint for a bullpup, the scope height and your face smashed against the breech or magazine.

If you know your rig, you can get around the trajectory issues with the scope sitting so high up. I don't shoot the one I have enough to know off hand where it's POI is at 10 yard vs it's 40 yard zero. Need to spend some more time with it and make a shot card.
Ho but I know or I did know the various Milldots holds at distances, the problem in my kind of hunting is if I get a boar appearing at 10 yards adrenaling goes in overdrive and it's hard to think and calculate, with a standard rifle is just put the crosshair in the spot and let it rip,........I had 7 Bullpups and that was a long time ago before FX even came out with pups, even put my Marlin 60 in a bullpup stock back in the day butI realised about the shorcomings and sold them all,...still hsave one if someone wants to buy :LOL:

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein