FX What is the difference between A silencer in a modulator

Maxim would disagree but what does he know?

They are both names people use to describe a "muffler" that attaches to a device used to launch projectiles at high speed.

The Alphabet org DOES NOT DEFINE "Airgun Silencer". They do define "Firearms Silencer". This is because the Alphabet org DOES NOT REGULATE airguns or airgun silencers.

https://www.Alphabet org.gov/firear...on-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions
NOTE: You will have to FIX the URL this points too as there is foolishness with regard to the name of that agency in the community as well.

Last edited:
As above, but to a certain extent it depends on where you are in the world: "suppressor" is most common in the US, whereas "sound moderator" is more commonly used in the UK.

New Zealand seems to have followed the lead of the US in the last few decades, referring more and more to "twenty-two", "12 gauge" and "suppressor", instead of the more British "two-two", "12 bore" and "sound moderator".

I've even heard "noise attenuator" somewhere...

A "modulator" modulates. A "moderator" moderates. A "LDC" collects lead. A "muffler" muffles. A "suppressor" suppresses. A "silencer" silences...

They are all just different names for the same thing.

The argument has to do with emotions not logic and not the law. Some people are afraid of some words. Some people are not. If you are afraid of words, use whatever word makes you feel safe. The problem comes when one person wants to decide for the next person which word he may use and which words he may not use. That problem is so dangerous that some very wise men and women decided to put the prohibition of such behavior (telling other people what they may and may not say) right at the top of a very important list.

EDIT: palitability

Last edited:
LDC, LDC, LDC.....until not long ago terms like silencer, moderator where taboo on airgun forums so the main term was LDC

I kind of like it and still use it even if probably newer member have no clue what I'm talking about :ROFLMAO:
Exactly. IIRC, "LDC" became big in the early-ish days of interweb forums, to deflect internet searches for devices which are heavily regulated in firearm world, but perfectly legal for airguns.

Kinda like the time a fellow shipped me an air rifle with "pneumatic hole puncher" as the shipping label description, LOL.