What is the minimum watts portable gas generator to run a Yong Heng?

Last edited:
It works but some are claiming it takes 7-14KVA to start up a YH and my power supplies only supply 3.6 KW for startup. So if their calculations are right, why does my power supply start my YH? Seems like my experiment is inconsistent with their calculations. To be fair, the YH seems to start a fraction of a second slower than normal when on the power supply. But I did it twice and it started both times. Maybe next time my tank needs filled I will do it with the power supply.

The oversize factor on a generator is to take into account voltage dip. When a high load is applied to a generator the engine RPM will drop which causes a voltage dip. The generator regulator attempts to correct this situation by opening the throttle. Standard practice when designing a generator for building standby power service is for a 30% voltage dip. This is the maximum allowed voltage drop when a load is added before the regulator can correct the generator RPM/output.

Some electrical loads require a lower maximum permitted voltage dip such as certain elevators, they are permitted a maximum 10% voltage dip which results in crazy large generators.

I suggest an experiment for those who own plugin watt meters. Plug your YH into the meter, set the meter for reading voltage and see how much the voltage drops from a 15 amp circuit on startup.

Reactions: powderburner