N/A What is your "coolest" springer...?

Diasy 104 double barrel ~1940

63 Daisy 104 Double Barrel 1937-39.JPG

64 104 dbl.JPG

Daisy 21 double barrel ~1970

66 Daisy 21 Double barrel BB 1968-70.JPG

66 Daisy double barrel 1968-70.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool. Love the archaic aperture sight and carving on the bottom of the grip.

What's on the forearm of the stock? Is that aftermarket?
It's a piece of soft leather expertly inlaid into the forend. I have no idea whether it was done at the factory or by a prior owner.

My coolest ones might be Webley Mk 3's - a Supertarget and a couple sporters. I love the lean styling, the balanced handling, and they are great fun to shoot. The build quality makes even my beloved vintage HW 55's seem a little tinny; judging by posts on UK forums, the Mk 3's survival rate is astonishing.

View attachment 493370

And...they sent me down the happy side rabbit hole of Parker-Hale sights, little masterpieces of engineering art In their own right.

View attachment 493952

View attachment 493363

View attachment 493361
That front sight element stash tin on the bottom of the pistol grip is just fantastic.

That is a fabulous looking rifle Mike!

Reactions: Bandito
Reactions: Bandito and BABz58
That front sight element stash tin on the bottom of the pistol grip is just fantastic.

That is a fabulous looking rifle Mike!
Thanks Chuck!

The insert holder is a Parker-Hale bit too, they called it the "disc box." They turn up on the bay, etc., fairly regularly. Often seen under the fore end wood on BSA Martinis, and standard on PH sighted Mk 3 Supertargets.

Reactions: Bandito
Good point! The simpler model 110 recoiling action might have been a better choice.
FWB 110. The original owner never used it, preferred to use a FWB 150 or 300. As for accuracy I cannot tell the difference between the 150 and 110?
L1010912.jpeg

Last edited:
My Lincoln Jeffries "H the Lincoln" second batch of 1000. Still the original design with cast long tang trigger guard. 1906.
Because of what George Lincoln Jeffries did for modern airgunning. Design, quality of construction, manufacturing techniques, and accuracy. Formerly an importer of German rifles, this rifle left the Germans miles behind largely until well after WW1.
It's a little rough but very rare in the US

IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

1906 BSA "BSA Air Rifle" first batch
From the second batch of 1000 BSA's manufactured under the Lincoln Jeffries patent. All of the BSA's were Lincoln Jeffries patent until 1912.
P1010132.JPG
P1010133.JPG
P1010156.JPG
P1010157.JPG

The front sight is actually a replica of the rare barleycorn optional sight. I made it in my shop
P1010126.JPG

P1010152.JPG
P1010139 (2).JPG

FWB 110. The original owner never used it, preferred to use a FWB 150 or 300. I cannot tell the difference?View attachment 494417

Awesome!!

I had a minty 110 and foolishly sold it in 1993 for... drumroll, please... $275. Obviously, this was before the Blue Book of Airguns and the wealth of knowledge that is now readily available online, so at the time I didn't realize there were only around 200 manufactured.

This is one of my coolest springers. Well it is, and it isn't.

The Daisy VL
A close up examination of the rifle and we will see if the VL will shoot a pellet with the air created by the compression chamber alone.Then will take it to the range and shoot the caseless ammo

My first test of the gun was a 14.3 grain pellet with the skirt expanded to fit the barrel. This test was done to see if in fact the VL is actually a air gun. my conclusion is. Yes the Daisy VL is in fact a air rifle. But a week one with the pellet consistently shooting at around 130fps. Then I wanted to shoot it at paper from 12 feet to conclude my test before going to the range, where it would be tested with the intended ammo.

FPS
With 14.3 grain pellet the average was 130fps
With the 29 grain caseless ammo the average 1196fps

A question to you. If you intentionally diesel a pellet using petroleum jelly, or another combustible substance does this make you airgun now a firearm?
Something to think about.

Only 19,000 of the standard ones and 5,000 of the presentation models were made in 1968 1969 the years before the *** shut them dowm., But here is the thing. The VL wasn’t just a single shot .22. It was also a spring-piston air rifle.

The Daisy VL rifle is a single-shot spring-piston rifle cocked by an underlever. Load the cartridge in the breech — exactly where a pellet would be loaded.

And yes it can also shoot a pellet. But at a lower velocity around 130fps. So in fact it is technically also a pellet rifle.

The VL is a caseless cartridge developed by Belgian chemical engineer Jules Van Langenhoven. Hence VL. The charge is ignited by high temperature compressed air. The kind of air that’s generated by a spring-piston air rifle. The Daisy VL is a .22-caliber underlever single shot spring-piston air rifle useing a combustible charge to obtain its maximum velocity.

When you work the cocking lever of the V/L rifle, a cylinder and piston are forced to the rear, compressing a very heavy spring. The breech is now open and you can place a V/L round in the chamber. When the cocking lever is reseated, it brings the cylinder forward, closing the breech. The piston is held in the cocked position by a sear, ready to fire.

rapidly compressed, forced through a small hole and around a ball check valve. The rapid compression of the air causes an extreme rise in temperature. In the V/L rifle, the jet of heated air ignites the propellent attached to the projectile.

The ball check valve instantly closes, and the full energy of the propellent is focused on pushing the projectile down the barrel. A 29-grain projectile heading to the target at 1150 feet per second.

Now pull the trigger. The sear releases and the heavy spring drives the piston forward in the cylinder. The air in the cylinder is super heated and ignites the propellant firing the gun.

FWB 110. The original owner never used it, preferred to use a FWB 150 or 300. I cannot tell the difference?View attachment 494417
The 110 is NOT recoilless, they omitted all of those bits from the 150 to create a less pricey intro model. A great rifle in its own right, but not a sales success and quite a rare collectible.