• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Machine will Cut 1/4 Steel Shapes?

Plasma cam is pretty easy to use, I have no background in computers but I’ve been able to get by. It’s fun to turn your designs into reality. Not sure how much they cost these days, but if you go for it ask them about the upgrades. You for sure want advanced height control. It costs more but totally worth it. Hypertherm powermax is a great choice for the plasma cutter. Here’s some stuff I cut. You will be able to make targets with ease. They have a good system for support at Plasma cam too and you can call them for help. Totally amazing machines...go for it Nate!!
1593984751_11992252615f0246ef3ee214.61752934.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
I thought I would also mention. It makes a difference how big your cut outs are also. I can cut out 5th scale silhouette targets ok by hand with my plasma cutter. But the 10th like air gun targets get tough. I can't make the turns fast enough. So they have to be cleaned up in the edges. Another example of big targets are these I cut out.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/attempt-to-make-some-targets-for-range/

As an ex custom shop owner/operator,
I'd have to say: 1: Water Jet. or 2: Plasma Cutter - for quick efficient production runs.
Laser would be nice, but, I don't know of any shops w/ them or that would do small runs - and I'm in NY.

Using o/a torches is definitely another viable option, but, I'd say more for limited numbers..
Where water-jets produce the cleanest cuts..
Plasma will still require more clean-up from melting the metal
And Torch will create even more melted metal - needing to be cut off / ground / shaped / sanded..

Personally - I was more of a limited run custom shop, so, I'd use my plasma torch,
then manually use an angle grinder or Foredom rotary tool to grind/shape/sand

MILD Steel is pretty decent to work with..
Hot Rolled is the most 'user friendly'
Cold Rolled - is stronger and a bit more of a pain to work with.
AR [Abrasion Resistant] is super strong, and brutal to work with.
contanct us for DOWELL Tube Laser Cutting Machine Manufacturers
By *work with* - I mean using hand tools if/when needed
[due to the strength of the metals used]

1/4" isn't very thick - Until' it comes down to cutting / shaping / welding it.
Most 'consumer' tools aren't designed to work with metals that thick..

You could get away with using a drill, few bits, and a scroll-saw,
but by the time you get done with them, you'll have to shave again. lol

I still have a mini plasma cutter [250 amp TIG welder w/ plasma torch add-on]
It was okay for like 1/8" but would be a pain when doing upwards of 1/4"
Also, they require a pretty good compressor w/ high/steady CFM airflow

Sam -
What's the most cost-effective way for me to cut 1/4" steel without wanting to tear all my hair out?

I got myself an old MM130, and I just realized I only have an angle grinder!

Hey guys, I want to produce targets so I'm looking at getting 100's of the same few pieces. Definitively, I can't do anything by hand. Water jet service or a Plasma CNC sounds good. I wonder how cheap I can get a CNC Plasma cutter. It has to be a clean edge. Like this:

View attachment 97965
why would you want to produce the same chickens and stuff others are producing ?

In my area, the going rate for plasma cutting is about $150/hr. I am a master welder/fabricator (30 yrs) and I am Foreman in the shop I work for. If you decide to have it done in a fab shop, you'll save some money if you bring a thumb drive that's already loaded with your cut-outs in .dwg format. Unfortunately you'd have to find a friend with the software to draw the parts.

I bought
In my area, the going rate for plasma cutting is about $150/hr. I am a master welder/fabricator (30 yrs) and I am Foreman in the shop I work for. If you decide to have it done in a fab shop, you'll save some money if you bring a thumb drive that's already loaded with your cut-outs in .dwg format. Unfortunately you'd have to find a friend with the software to draw the parts.
I bought this for $8k....still need to unbox it. https://www.langmuirsystems.com/xr?...j1pcshZztCBL6hgdvU1xhye0pqTSFQwRoCB7QQAvD_BwE

3333.JPG

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what machine is used to cut small shapes out of hard 1/4 in steel. Like the pics below. Thanks -Nate

View attachment 97743
Hello @kaylaindy

Waterjet cutting or Plasma cutting is not expensive today and many shops will do small projects. I cannot speak for @davelarson ( a forum member ) but he does this kind of work in his shop everyday and you might send him a PM

ThomasT

Cleaning up little things, like knock over targets would be,,,, well mostly.
Tumbling is probably what people will do.
But yeah modern cutting means do not leave much of a bad edge on stuff, i am geriatric old so those things did not exist when i was young.

Tumbling you could do in a little cement mixer, as long as it can tumble the items and them banging together will remove the burr
Mind you it will be SOB noisy

Let someone else buy, maintain, and store the equipment. Until you're in full-scale production you can get a lot of work from places like sendcutsend and their competitors for surprisingly little (as in sometimes less than I could buy the raw material for). Cleanup is almost non-existent with laser or waterjet unless you want machined edges. If I were starting a business, this is how I'd start and invest in my own equipment only if the customers materialized.

GsT

Reactions: kayaker