N/A What " One gun " to buy

I would skip the gas piston and get a HW95 . Lighter weight , costs less, easy to cock and I'm getting around 17 fpe in .22 cal . Still has a lifetime warranty , great trigger and heirloom quality. The shot cycle won't hold you back when hunting.
Sorry but not a fan of the spring shot cycle,...gas rams is where it is for me, I much prefer that sharp, quick thump.

Reactions: fishing43
Sorry but not a fan of the spring shot cycle,...gas rams is where it is for me, I much prefer that sharp, quick thump.
You can overcome the spring noise with a Vortek kit. A while back I remember Tom Gore was also working on what was called a “donut” gas ram that works with the stem of the piston in the HW95, but i don’t know what came of that. I refuse to alter my HW95 in any way.

Another way to go is to watch the classifieds. That is your best bet to find a true classic rifle like a Beeman RX-2 laminate. That’s the laminate HW90.

If you are patient enough and a little bit lucky you might get your hands on a Theoben Eliminator/ Beeman Crow Magnum. Think Hatsan 125 power with Weihrauch craftsmanship and precision. But they are rare and usually command a premium price. Probably the finest gas ram break-barrels ever made.

You can overcome the spring noise with a Vortek kit. A while back I remember Tom Gore was also working on what was called a “donut” gas ram that works with the stem of the piston in the HW95, but i don’t know what came of that. I refuse to alter my HW95 in any way.

Another way to go is to watch the classifieds. That is your best bet to find a true classic rifle like a Beeman RX-2 laminate. That’s the laminate HW90.

If you are patient enough and a little bit lucky you might get your hands on a Theoben Eliminator/ Beeman Crow Magnum. Think Hatsan 125 power with Weihrauch craftsmanship and precision. But they are rare and usually command a premium price. Probably the finest gas ram break-barrels ever made.
So should I buy a high end gun and immediately spend more money in it ?....Ain't gonna happen,
also tuning a springer will tame the awful spring twang but it will never be able to mimic the sharp thud of a Gas piston and that is what I like about them pistons, the felt recoil.

I will put a WTB in the classified but will not spend more then 300 so I highly doubt I will ever get one :ROFLMAO:

I guess I don't notice the awful twang spring noise w my hw30 or hw95 . But that could be because as a teenager I was shooting a .177 fwb124 D for years taking hundreds of pests . Then had the Beeman Kodiak in .25 cal . The most powerful springer made at the time . I have shot cheap brake barrels that were nothing like a quality one. I have one gas piston Beeman pistol but never wanted a gas setup rifle. I'm pretty sure they have more problems than a springer. But ya hatsan and gamo , crosmans plenty of gas pistons to choose. I wouldn't own but some luv them.

So should I buy a high end gun and immediately spend more money in it ?....Ain't gonna happen,
also tuning a springer will tame the awful spring twang but it will never be able to mimic the sharp thud of a Gas piston and that is what I like about them pistons, the felt recoil.

I will put a WTB in the classified but will not spend more then 300 so I highly doubt I will ever get one :ROFLMAO:
Well, a PCP is little more than a tube of high pressure air with a valve and a trigger. When you realize the craftsmanship, engineering, and convenience built into a HW piston gun you begin to see the value.

You have to tune your PCP’s, too, in order to get consistent POI across a longer shot string. I get perfect consistency in my R9 just by breaking it in.

An HW95 with a Vortek kit for sure is gonna shoot with a nice thump, even better than a gas ram. Rams bottom out harder than springs, that’s why they are harder on scopes. The spring guide system in a Vortek kit completely tames the buzz away.

$300 should easily get you into a used gas ram Cometa. Probably less than that. I wish i could put an HW95 with a Vortek kit in your hands for just one day.

Reactions: BABz58

But like i already told you, i was completely satisfied with my R9 right out of the box. Putting 5 shots into less than 1 and 1/8” in a variable breeze at 50 yards, no break in period, less than 50 shots fired.

I don’t think I have shot a group 1” or larger at 25 yards with any pellet. Not that i can remember. It even runs the Gamo Redfires with fair accuracy. I do not use the artillery hold.

It’s also fairly quiet, no moderator required. But, spring buzz, oh no 🤣. It does not effect accuracy.

I guess I don't notice the awful twang spring noise w my hw30 or hw95 . But that could be because as a teenager I was shooting a .177 fwb124 D for years taking hundreds of pests . Then had the Beeman Kodiak in .25 cal . The most powerful springer made at the time . I have shot cheap brake barrels that were nothing like a quality one. I have one gas piston Beeman pistol but never wanted a gas setup rifle. I'm pretty sure they have more problems than a springer. But ya hatsan and gamo , crosmans plenty of gas pistons to choose. I wouldn't own but some luv them.
I have a cheap Crosman Titan and really like it, gotta be over 10 years old and still going strong,.....can only imagine how nice a HW90 would be.

And no not even looking at Cometas,....this for the member that is hiding under momma's skirt.

• Haha
My TX200 has a Vortek kit in it, there is no buzz or felt vibration on the shot, just a whack. How do gas rams do in cold weather?
Yeah I'm sure they are nice but also you need to spend a bunch of money on top of an expensive rifle,....I actually like the more violent thud of a gas ram, I like that sharpness,.....well I live in Hawaii so not worried about cold :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: this blocking members so they cannot see your posts ( even on their own threads ) and be able to reply is getting old,

So many weak individuals that need to hide under mamma's skirt around, .....grow some balls already ;)

I will go ahead and address it then. I blocked you after I posted. Why should I even try? I no longer wanted to interact with you. The site completely blocks all your content from my view and usage, I can’t even open your threads. Which was perfect 👌.

I saw your reply when i clicked a notification that was for this thread, which I could no longer open. So i looked at the member’s recent activity and partially saw your post, which looked like his post.

Well you’re right about one thing, I am weak in some ways. Too weak to ignore your call out there. So i unblocked you, hope you’re happy. I tried to bury the hatchet but you rejected my olive branch.

I didn’t want to announce in the forum I am blocking you. What a jerk move that would be. But ok, since you wanna be like that, as you wish. I will wait patiently for your next clever comment, read it, and acknowledge it without insult so you have the satisfaction knowing I can see it. Then block you for good.

You’re not an expert on airguns by a mile. An excellent hunter though, no doubt. One of the best. People confuse that with airgun expertise- you have none. Proof is in your very narrow view of piston rifles. That is the truth, and your thread here is little more than trolling the spring piston afficionados of the forum.

Personally, a R9 offers everything I need from an air rifle. I live in a free country, and have no use for an airgun that can almost hang with a rimfire. I have rimfires.

Airguns fit a niche for me, near the home, and tree squirrels and birds so I don’t have to worry about the harm of a projectile falling to the earth a mile away. And the pure joy and satisfaction, and *satisfying buzz* of a spring rifle.

So why are you selling your PCP’s?

Last edited:
  • Love
Yeah I'm sure they are nice but also you need to spend a bunch of money on top of an expensive rifle,....I actually like the more violent thud of a gas ram, I like that sharpness,.....well I live in Hawaii so not worried about cold :ROFLMAO:
Well you spend a bunch of money in addition to an expensive rifle on PCP’s as well. Or spend THOUSANDS on a PCP and thousands more on fill equipment, or exert the effort to pump it up with pumps that have to be rebuilt or replaced a few times a year if you are an avid shooter. But a guy like you, who proclaims that 30 shots and you get bored, well I guess that doesn’t matter so much.

Speaking of 30 shots and get bored, have you watched the POI rise and drop at 50 yards across a 30 shot string from a powerful PCP? How annoying is that?

Power? Why should you spend thousands on a PCP to be *almost* as capable as a rimfire with a cliff tune that drops off faster than you can empty the magazine?

If purely because you are an airgun enthusiast, I totally understand that. Makes perfect sense. But if you are going to talk about practical usage and expense, the powerful PCP makes no sense at all unless it comes down to regulations and legalities.

If it is purely the joy and satisfaction of shooting, you can get immensely more joy and shooting satisfaction from a quality mid powered PCP that has a higher shot count. Something 24-35 fpe in .22 or 12-18 fpe in .177, with a long and consistent shot string. Ok makes sense, eventually pays for itself in ammo savings even with the expense of filling and maintaining fill devices.

Fine German or British springer? Absolutely makes sense. The quality that lasts generations and top resale value. Buy used, they appreciate in value. The gun pays for itself in under a year of plinking based on the expense of rimfire ammo alone.

All the tacticool PCP’s only depreciate over time. It’s a money pit. But a lot of fun for an enthusiast, I totally get that. Hobbies are not investments.

A fine PCP that appreciates after the initial depreciation when new, cost at least double maybe 3x or more the price of a spring gun of similar quality.

But don’t try to preach practicality or talk about value when you can’t see the inherent value in a quality spring gun. It’s like a quality firearm. There is the initial depreciation when new, and then they appreciate rapidly.

I paid like $300 someodd for my R9 brand new a few years ago. I could sell it for a profit right now. And it is still as good as new, maybe even better than new.

All of my hobbies are expensive, fishing, hot rods, powder burners and air rifles. The vortek kit is like making the hot rod faster, it's just an added little cost to the hobby.

The bottom line, we're all air gun enthusiasts, no matter what our choices of power supplies are. Enjoy.

All of my hobbies are expensive, fishing, hot rods, powder burners and air rifles. The vortek kit is like making the hot rod faster, it's just an added little cost to the hobby.

The bottom line, we're all air gun enthusiasts, no matter what our choices of power supplies are. Enjoy.
Yeah I'm sure,
I still have a Vortek kit for my Hunter Sport .177 in the package, this gun was professionally tuned almost 20 years ago and I haven't had the need to use the kit yet.

Bottom like is I rather get a Gas ram because I like the shot cycle much better and if I ever get a chance to get a HW90 for 300 bucks I'll jump on it but I really don't need it so I'm not stressing about it, in reality I want it because I think it's a beautiful gun that has the attributes I like,..........but need and want are far away from each others and the HW90 is basically the only gun ( now that Diana don't make Gas rams anymore ) that stands out to me in the all springers market.

Right now I rather spend money into motorcycles then guns, I have several great Firearms that can keep me busy for a long time if I want

Reactions: 1BadDart

Well said dart, haven’t made a dime on any of my hobbies either.