What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

While shooting PBs years ago, my favorite sport was NRA 50 feet small bore indoor shooting with 22LR. I had an expensive custom target rifle and shot consistent 100s. I tried these targets today indoors with my HW44. Only 7 yds, but it is a pistol after all 😏

IMG_2971.jpeg

Hello everyone,

First off this is NOT a very scientific pellet test but I just had to shoot something today. The wind is supposed to be 10 to 15mph with gust to 20, but again it is moving my steel target frame so it is blowing very hard😔.

I purchased one of these Five Pellet test packages and here is what was in the Pack:
1) H&N Baracuda Power 21.14gr
2) H&N Baracuda Hunter 18.21gr
3) H&N Crow Magnum 18.21gr
4) H&N Hornet 16.20gr
5) H&N Baracuda Green 12.96gr

I shot them in this order, heaviest to lightest with no adjustment to my scope. As you can see, the H&N Baracuda Power 21.14gr shot 4 out of 5 MOA, even with this bad wind (y). The Baracuda Hunter left nice clean round holes but was not accurate. The Crow Magnum hit the target sideways and tore through the card stock. The Hornet had 2 out of 5 MOA but were all within the target outer ring. Last but not least were the Baracuda Green non-lead pellets and I am lucky that they all hit “somewhere” on the paper :ROFLMAO:.

I will shoot these again but in better conditions.

ThomasT
View attachment 400067
It's never windy in my basement or at the Sportsman's Club indoor range 😏 Just saying! 😅

• Wow
Reactions: ThomasT
While shooting PBs years ago, my favorite sport was NRA 50 feet small bore indoor shooting with 22LR. I had an expensive custom target rifle and shot consistent 100s. I tried these targets today indoors with my HW44. Only 7 yds, but it is a pistol after all 😏

View attachment 400068
Hello @rsfrid

Looks perfect to me 🤪

ThomasT

View attachment 400068
That is great shooting , i have a stack of those targets . Look at the bottom middle bull YIKES !

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
Thomas, I can't believe the Crows hit SIDEWAYS....😳. But the Barracuda Power did very well.
Hello @Ranchibi

Yes, look at the tears in the target and you can see how they hit. Look at #11 you can see the head near the edge and the skirt near the Ring 🤪 o_O😵, just crazy. Man if that hit a squirrel it sure would hurt :ROFLMAO:.

I cannot wait for a calm day to shoot the Power again. The Lone Ranger had his Silver Bullets, I could have my Copper Pellets :love:

ThomasT

Hello @Ranchibi

Yes, look at the tears in the target and you can see how they hit. Look at #11 you can see the head near the edge and the skirt near the Ring 🤪 o_O😵, just crazy. Man if that hit a squirrel it sure would hurt :ROFLMAO:.

I cannot wait for a calm day to shoot the Power again. The Lone Ranger had his Silver Bullets, I could have my Copper Pellets :love:

ThomasT
OMG....hitting a squirrel with one of those Crows flying sideways would be....DEVASTATING....😂👍. The Lone Ranger was one of my childhood fav tv sitcoms! Ha!

OMG....hitting a squirrel with one of those Crows flying sideways would be....DEVASTATING....😂👍. The Lone Ranger was one of my childhood fav tv sitcoms! Ha!
You know there are old episodes on YouTube and if you have Amazon AKA The We Say So Corporation they show episodes on the live tv along with the Rifleman, Bonanza, Wagon Train and lots of others. Fun revisiting the past sometimes.

Working on my form, attempting to analyzing my follow through to determine what I do wrong on the errant shots and what I did right on the good ones. Consistent head weld is one culprit, so I’ve added a piece of tape to the comb that I can look down and see. Making a nice smooth trigger pull through the second stage ledge, even as light as my trigger is I find I can still get hung up on the ledge because I’m not committing to the pull. Then consistently doing the full setup the same each time. The new Sightron 10-50x60 FT with the MOA-2 reticle is great as well.

I’m 6’3” with 37” sleeve length so I’ve always found the oem stocks of any firearm to be a bit short. I’ve extended the butt with a combination of washers and a spacer with a longer bolt. So the butt plate moves up and down and turns left or right and now can spin so that adds another level of adjustability which has definitely helped my the fit. Making these changes to the butt have helped resolve a lot of issues but there are more to work on.

This is from 25 yds, no wind to speak of, with my Lupo Rosso .22 shooting JTS 22.07’s @ 1018 fps. If I can continue to practice with a purpose each day it will be a good target to look back on in a few weeks.

IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg

Working on my form, attempting to analyzing my follow through to determine what I do wrong on the errant shots and what I did right on the good ones. Consistent head weld is one culprit, so I’ve added a piece of tape to the comb that I can look down and see. Making a nice smooth trigger pull through the second stage ledge, even as light as my trigger is I find I can still get hung up on the ledge because I’m not committing to the pull. Then consistently doing the full setup the same each time. The new Sightron 10-50x60 FT with the MOA-2 reticle is great as well.

I’m 6’3” with 37” sleeve length so I’ve always found the oem stocks of any firearm to be a bit short. I’ve extended the butt with a combination of washers and a spacer with a longer bolt. So the butt plate moves up and down and turns left or right and now can spin so that adds another level of adjustability which has definitely helped my the fit. Making these changes to the butt have helped resolve a lot of issues but there are more to work on.

This is from 25 yds, no wind to speak of, with my Lupo Rosso .22 shooting JTS 22.07’s @ 1018 fps. If I can continue to practice with a purpose each day it will be a good target to look back on in a few weeks.

View attachment 400279View attachment 400281View attachment 400280
Fantastic card! Yup....I'm always working on my cheek weld/pressure and sight picture trying to be as consistent as possible. I also golf and find them both similar in the set up process, set up correctly and good hit or shot, now if I can only get more consistent....h'mmm....😂👍. Beautiful LR RW and excellent tune with the heavy .22 JTS's! Do you size the 22gr JTS?

Reactions: oledawg

View attachment 400279View attachment 400281View attachment 400280
Hello @oledawg

Nicely done and that is a lot of extension on that stock. I have stated this before but shooting paper targets hones your shooting skills and allow you to review each shot (y) .

ThomasT

Reactions: oledawg and rsfrid
Fantastic card! Yup....I'm always working on my cheek weld/pressure and sight picture trying to be as consistent as possible. I also golf and find them both similar in the set up process, set up correctly and good hit or shot, now if I can only get more consistent....h'mmm....😂👍. Beautiful LR RW and excellent tune with the heavy .22 JTS's! Do you size the 22gr JTS?
Thanks @Ranchibi. I check the heads on the pelletgage they are 5.56 and some 5.57. I have sizers but only to 5.53. The Red Wolf likes the larger head size of the JTS’s. I have the JTS 18.1’s but they are 5.52-5.52 have not run them through my sizer as I know the smaller head size tends to leads to larger groups but I’m still playing with them. Just ordered 4 tins of the JTS 25.39’s. At 69 and an A type personality I think I just may be slowing down enough in my head to enjoy this adventure.

Thanks @Ranchibi. I check the heads on the pelletgage they are 5.56 and some 5.57. I have sizers but only to 5.53. The Red Wolf likes the larger head size of the JTS’s. I have the JTS 18.1’s but they are 5.52-5.52 have not run them through my sizer as I know the smaller head size tends to leads to larger groups but I’m still playing with them. Just ordered 4 tins of the JTS 25.39’s. At 69 and an A type personality I think I just may be slowing down enough in my head to enjoy this adventure.
Thank you! Those are some large heads on the 22gr! My RAW likes 5.52 head size, the size of my pellet sizer. I am 61 still energetic but have slowed down enough to think a tad more as I do things, I thnk that's why I like airguns, golf, fishing and cooking, they all are predicated on the process something I have realized in myself....😂..oh, I also have LONG arms for my size...🤗

Thank you! Those are some large heads on the 22gr! My RAW likes 5.52 head size, the size of my pellet sizer. I am 61 still energetic but have slowed down enough to think a tad more as I do things, I thnk that's why I like airguns, golf, fishing and cooking, they all are predicated on the process something I have realized in myself....😂..oh, I also have LONG arms for my size...🤗
Does it like the H&N’s they are in the 5.52-5.53 range? My Crown really liked the H&N’s

Reactions: ThomasT
Shot my HW44 with FX 10 grain pellets to see how they'd do. Back story — I purchased a couple tins thinking they would be good in my Impact 177cal but nope! So I tried them in ole Trusty (my Weihrauch) and they were pretty decent. Probably would benefit from weight sorting, but I don't want to invest the time when they do this well straight from tin.

IMG_2973.jpeg

Does it like the H&N’s they are in the 5.52-5.53 range? My Crown really liked the H&N’s
My RAW's non-choked poly barrel is not fussy with pellets or slugs that fit properly....I have shot everything from JSB/rebranded, H&N, Rifle Pellets and they all grouped very well. FX Crown's action is very nice indeed! My friend has one in .22, fine shooter.

Shot my HW44 with FX 10 grain pellets to see how they'd do. Back story — I purchased a couple tins thinking they would be good in my Impact 177cal but nope! So I tried them in ole Trusty (my Weihrauch) and they were pretty decent. Probably would benefit from weight sorting, but I don't want to invest the time when they do this well straight from tin.

View attachment 400467
Hello @rsfrid

Well Ross it would be very hard to improve on that card (y)

ThomasT

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and oledawg