What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

I played with my Atomic today as well. Darned thing will place Baracuda Hunters in the center bull for like 15 shots in a row then next five will be out of target entirely! I weight sorted and head sorted, but didn't help. Other days it shoots to center bull repeatedly.
blame it on the sun spot cycle ?

Hello @Ranchibi

Yes, jingle-bells ..... ho ho ho. The Brocock Sniper "style" is very new to me but I am really enjoying shooting it so far. It sure fits well in the Layman shooting bag and on my benchrest, very stable making holding a POI really nice.

I hate cold weather but man this time of the year is so beautiful around the lake, it's a shame it doesn't last longer. Hard winds and rain took about half of the leaves from the trees so they are looking a bit naked this afternoon.

Have a great weekend,
ThomasT
Thomas, my second PCP was a Brocock Compatto in .22! Way back then Luis asked me about it and rest is history...😂👍. Brocock/Daystate makes fantastic PCP's, they're semi-bullpups and bullpups are so darn ergonomic, built to last! Enjoy dialing it in! Ho ho ho!

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
I played with my Atomic today as well. Darned thing will place Baracuda Hunters in the center bull for like 15 shots in a row then next five will be out of target entirely! I weight sorted and head sorted, but didn't help. Other days it shoots to center bull repeatedly.
Go figure? This rifle has always been really reliable and this is a new one for me. Previously I shot it with the tune always hovering around 700 but when barn hunting my occasional misses would punch holes in the roof so before the last hunt I dropped the tune to 585 using CPHPs. That tune was not as accurate and would throw a lot more fliers with CPHPs. The next hunt I am going to try the 15.89 JSB domes at 600 and see how that performs.

What power setting are you using? The previous tune I was on low power. This new tune I am on the middle power setting with a lighter HS setting. I’ve never owned a gun that would shoot any H&N pellet worth a hoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Go figure? This rifle has always been really reliable and this is a new one for me. Previously I shot it with the tune always hovering around 700 but when barn hunting my occasional misses would punch holes in the roof so before the last hunt I dropped the tune to 585 using CPHPs. That tune was not as accurate and would through a lot more fliers with CPHPs. The next hunt I am going to try the JSB domes at 600 and see how that performs.

What power setting are you using? The previous tune I was on low power. This new tune I am on the middle power setting with a lighter HS setting. I’ve never owned a gun that would shoot any H&N pellet worth a hoot.
I have mine at 700fps with JSB 15.89 at power level high. I tried the Baracudas on a whim and they shot surprisingly well, but every so often the gun throws a set of 5-6 fliers way low. I thought it might be the gun being finicky, but when I switched back to JSBs they shot right to center bull without fail. Go figure. My Weihrauch HW44 just loves the H&N Baracuda FT that was developed for Weihrauch barrels. But I think the Hunter is going to be relegated to my Avenger to shoot steel with til they’re gone. By the way, Steve at AEAC claims that the Atomic must be shot within 5fps of 700 or the accuracy is way off. So that's where mine is.

By the way, Steve at AEAC claims that the Atomic must be shot within 5fps of 700 or the accuracy is way off. So that's where mine is.
I do remember that ~700 fps number and he was spot on. However, that is just too hot for barn hunting. I found another lower frequency node hovering around 580-605 that is pretty decent so that is what I am going to experiment with for a while to see how consistent that is for pigeon hunting.

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Hello everyone

Perfect shooting conditions this morning 58f and 0-3mph wind and clear blue sky. Started with the Niksan Ozark-TW and shot the same two paper targets that I did yesterday. This gives me a good comparison to see if I am improving with this new rifle. First target 5-shots each at all five targets and the grouping much better with tighter one-hole results. Second target score of 120 Points with 7-x’s and a bit of an improvement. Shot all twenty bulls with only two marginal and a score of 200 Points. I started with a cylinder pressure of 300 bar and shot a total of 58 pellets and still had 140 bar pressure. The Side-Lever cocking is smooth but requires just a bit more effort but I am beginning to like it. I find that I am spending more conscious time opening and closing and “feeling” the insertion of the pellet into the chamber. I really like shooting this rifle :D .

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Niksan Ozark-TW .22 caliber
Scope: Vector Optics, Tourex 6-24x50 FFP
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Diabolo 15.89gr
FPS: 800
FPE: 22.6
Wind: 0 to 3 mph

ThomasT
Niksan Ozark-TW.102.jpg
Niksan Ozark-TW.103.jpg
Niksan Ozark-TW.104.jpg

Hello everyone

Perfect shooting conditions this morning 58f and 0-3mph wind and clear blue sky. Started with the Niksan Ozark-TW and shot the same two paper targets that I did yesterday. This gives me a good comparison to see if I am improving with this new rifle. First target 5-shots each at all five targets and the grouping much better with tighter one-hole results. Second target score of 120 Points with 7-x’s and a bit of an improvement. Shot all twenty bulls with only two marginal and a score of 200 Points. I started with a cylinder pressure of 300 bar and shot a total of 58 pellets and still had 140 bar pressure. The Side-Lever cocking is smooth but requires just a bit more effort but I am beginning to like it. I find that I am spending more conscious time opening and closing and “feeling” the insertion of the pellet into the chamber. I really like shooting this rifle :D .

ThomasT
View attachment 413854View attachment 413855View attachment 413856
Great shooting! Finally back into the swing of things!

• Love
Switched my Atomic pistol back over to air stripper and shot this card. The upper right target shows what happens when the shooter quits paying attention to proper pistol shooting form and breathing. I slowed down and concentrated for the lower three targets. By the way, Brocock makes excellent airguns, but I haven't shot one yet that does one hole results at any distance. Close, but no cigar.

IMG_3018.jpeg

• Love
Hello everyone,

Testing various pellets in the Brocock Sniper XR. 5-Shots at each bull.
1) JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr
2) JTS Dead Center 21.53gr
3) JTS Dead Center 18.1gr
4) AA Field Heavy 18gr
5) FX 25.4gr
6) JSB Jumbo Monster 25.39gr
7) H&N Baracuda 18gr

Several of the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr did pretty good and No.’s 3,5,6 not too bad at 25-yards for a new rifle.

ThomasT
Brocock Sniper XR.105.jpg

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello everyone,

Testing various pellets in the Brocock Sniper XR. 5-Shots at each bull.
1) JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr
2) JTS Dead Center 21.53gr
3) JTS Dead Center 18.1gr
4) AA Field Heavy 18gr
5) FX 25.4gr
6) JSB Jumbo Monster 25.39gr
7) H&N Baracuda 18gr

Several of the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr did pretty good and No.’s 3,5,6 not too bad at 25-yards for a new rifle.

ThomasT
View attachment 413927
This doesn't surprise me at all. I've found the JSB/FX pellets to shoot the best out of BRK barrels, but getting groups any tighter than this is very difficult — especially on a regular basis. I even had one of my Brocock Sniper guns rebarreled and that didn't make much difference. Good luck in your search for the unicorn that works in your gun.

• Love
Hello everyone

ThomasT
View attachment 413854View attachment 413855View attachment 413856
Fabulous cards there Thomas! You and that Niksan sure got acquainted QUICKLY! Enjoy the weekend!

• Love
Hello everyone,

Well I just thought that I would ignore the wind and go ahead and shoot some Competition Targets today. Turns out with 15 to 20 mph winds even at 10-Meters Mother Nature is going to win :( .

My plan was to start a 4-Card Challenge with the Ozark-TW at 10-Meters against the Brocock Sniper XR at 25-Yards today. Normally I can sore 90 Points at both distances and mover right on to Target Number Two, but that didn’t happen. So rather than waste any more pellets I decided to shut down for the day and hope for better conditions tomorrow.

ThomasT
Niksan Ozark-TW.105.jpg
Niksan Ozark-TW.105.jpg

Hello everyone,

Cold, 58f and windy, 5-10mph but a lot better than yesterday so I shot one 10-Meter target. Despite the swirling winds was able to shoot a 200.

Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT
Niksan Ozark-TW.106.jpg

Well, following deputy Thomas's lead, I shot two cards in basement this morning. 64 degrees and no wind! 😂 I am striving for 20x on each card. Best I could do was 14x. Gotta work on my breathing and hold. Even tho the target allow counting the center circle as an x, I only count shots at least touching the center cross hairs in the center circle.

IMG_3019.jpeg