What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Well, following deputy Thomas's lead, I shot two cards in basement this morning. 64 degrees and no wind! 😂 I am striving for 20x on each card. Best I could do was 14x. Gotta work on my breathing and hold. Even tho the target allow counting the center circle as an x, I only count shots at least touching the center cross hairs in the center circle.

View attachment 414616
Hello @rsfrid

More incredible Pistol shooting from you Ross with 14X's (y) .

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

OK, I decided to shoot a second paper target with the Ozark-TW but this time on Low Power and use Wadcutter Pellets. Nice clean holes that I love about wadcutters and not a bad score of 89.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Niksan Ozark-TW .22 caliber
Scope: Vector Optics, Tourex 6-24x50 FFP
Pellets: RWS Hobby Wadcutter 11.3gr
FPS: 611
FPE: 9.4
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT
Niksan Ozark-TW.107.jpg

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid
Hello everyone,

Well my Brocock Sniper XR was pouting over on the rack because I was only shooting the Ozark-TW, so I set up a target at 25-Yards and shot a 249 Score. I am terrible at trying to read the wind flags but I did try real hard to only shoot when the flag was still and it worked this time.

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr
FPS: 834
FPE: 28
Wind: 10 to 15 mph

ThomasT

Niksan Ozark-TW.106.jpg

Hello everyone,

OK, I decided to shoot a second paper target with the Ozark-TW but this time on Low Power and use Wadcutter Pellets. Nice clean holes that I love about wadcutters and not a bad score of 89.

Pellets: RWS Hobby Wadcutter 11.3gr
FPS: 611
FPE: 9.4

ThomasT
View attachment 414623
Good shooting. That gun seems to be a winner for sure. Going to keep this one?

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello everyone,

Well I just thought that I would ignore the wind and go ahead and shoot some Competition Targets today. Turns out with 15 to 20 mph winds even at 10-Meters Mother Nature is going to win :( .

My plan was to start a 4-Card Challenge with the Ozark-TW at 10-Meters against the Brocock Sniper XR at 25-Yards today. Normally I can sore 90 Points at both distances and mover right on to Target Number Two, but that didn’t happen. So rather than waste any more pellets I decided to shut down for the day and hope for better conditions tomorrow.

ThomasT
View attachment 414271View attachment 414272
Thomas, not bad at all considering the strong winds!

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
Hello everyone,

Cold, 58f and windy, 5-10mph but a lot better than yesterday so I shot one 10-Meter target. Despite the swirling winds was able to shoot a 200.

Pellets: JSB Jumbo Diabolo 15.89gr
FPS: 800
FPE: 22.6

ThomasT
View attachment 414609
That's pretty impressive there Thomas with any wind! 🤗

• Love
Well, following deputy Thomas's lead, I shot two cards in basement this morning. 64 degrees and no wind! 😂 I am striving for 20x on each card. Best I could do was 14x. Gotta work on my breathing and hold. Even tho the target allow counting the center circle as an x, I only count shots at least touching the center cross hairs in the center circle.

View attachment 414616
Ross, superb card! Your personal scoring system is TOUGH....😂👍

• Love
Hello everyone,

Perfect shooting conditions this morning so I shot a bunch of paper targets and tested several pellets. It appears that I have been shooting the wrong pellet because switching to the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr pellet I shot a Perfect Score of 90 on this competition target and almost everyone in the center :D .

FPE: 25.77
Wind: 0 to 3 mph

ThomasT
Niksan Ozark-TW.109.jpg

Hello everyone,

Perfect shooting conditions this morning so I shot a bunch of paper targets and tested several pellets. It appears that I have been shooting the wrong pellet because switching to the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr pellet I shot a Perfect Score of 90 on this competition target and almost everyone in the center :D .

ThomasT
View attachment 414895
I wondered about that. The 18 grain is usually a better pellet than 15 grain, depending on the barrel. We shoot 18 grainers in both Dreamlines and the Avenger. Typically one hole at 25 yards. Great groups you got there, deputy. So… are you going to keep this one? 😅🤣😂

I wondered about that. The 18 grain is usually a better pellet than 15 grain, depending on the barrel. We shoot 18 grainers in both Dreamlines and the Avenger. Typically one hole at 25 yards. Great groups you got there, deputy. So… are you going to keep this one? 😅🤣😂
Hello @rsfrid

OK, to be honest I did refill the cylinder :rolleyes:

ThomasT

• Haha
Reactions: rsfrid
It’s amazing how the gun lets you know what it likes and what it doesn’t like. Great shooting no less @ThomasT
Hello @igolfat8

You are so right, I had shot several other Pellets this morning testing and some were better than the 15gr that I had been shooting. Then I shot some H&N Crow Magnum 18.21gr and put 5 pellets into a neat one hole and I thought I haven't tried any of the other 18gr. So the next up were the JSB's and they shot just a tad better and I felt each pellet go right into the hole. I even tried some H&N Baracuda Green 12.96gr and they surprised me how well they did shoot, but not good enough. The grouping now has improved from a Dime size down to .289". Been smiling all afternoon :D .

ThomasT

Reactions: igolfat8
Hello everyone,

ThomasT
View attachment 414895
Thomas, absolutely FANTASTIC card! I used to only sling JSB 16gr thru my Daystate Regal and Brocock Compatto....since I sold those and grabbed a RAW....I only shoot 18gr JSB for pellets! They are the least fps fussy pellet I have ever tried from 600fps to over 1000fps and accurate! My fav pellet for sure.

Thomas, absolutely FANTASTIC card! I used to only sling JSB 16gr thru my Daystate Regal and Brocock Compatto....since I sold those and grabbed a RAW....I only shoot 18gr JSB for pellets! They are the least fps fussy pellet I have ever tried from 600fps to over 1000fps and accurate! My fav pellet for sure.
Hello @Ranchibi

I am hopping that the accuracy will still improve a bit more as I get this new barrel "seasoned" . I am estimating that I now have 400+ pellets down the barrel and have cleaned it just two times. I believe 800 to 1,000 pellets and a light polish will be the telling story.

ThomasT

Hello @Ranchibi

I am hopping that the accuracy will still improve a bit more as I get this new barrel "seasoned" . I am estimating that I now have 400+ pellets down the barrel and have cleaned it just two times. I believe 800 to 1,000 pellets and a light polish will be the telling story.

ThomasT
I was never a proponent for polishing a barrel but I had a minor mishap with my RAW when I first got it (all my fault), took it to someone who remedied the issue and he also polished my barrel at no extra charge...it was super accurate before the polishing, after the polish it has been stoopid accurate if I do my part....🤗. I'm sure yours will be the same!

• Love
I’ve been struggling with my Atomic tune trying the find something accurate under the 600 fps threshold. It’s my primary barn gun and we have found that we need our projectiles under 600 or our misses will pop holes in the roof which the farmer doesn’t appreciate. Even close range shots inside 20 yards usually will go through the roof. My success hasn’t been great for finding that magic tune with a variety of pellets and I have been having waaaaay to many fliers as you can see below:
IMG_7710.jpeg

What I found was the HS and reg were way out of balance. The HS was much too light and I had a lot of variation in fps with wide speed spreads and high SD numbers. Then I took someone’s advice and maxed out the HS and put the transfer port on the middle setting which yielded 577 fps with a JSB 15.89 and my accuracy improved and the spread and SD numbers went way down.
IMG_7711.jpeg

This is the tune I used today and it netted us 148 pigeons in about a 1.5 hour stroll around the dairy.

I’ve been struggling with my Atomic tune trying the find something accurate under the 600 fps threshold. It’s my primary barn gun and we have found that we need our projectiles under 600 or our misses will pop holes in the roof which the farmer doesn’t appreciate. Even close range shots inside 20 yards usually will go through the roof. My success hasn’t been great for finding that magic tune with a variety of pellets and I have been having waaaaay to many fliers as you can see below:
View attachment 415108

What I found was the HS and reg were way out of balance. The HS was much too light and I had a lot of variation in fps with wide speed spreads and high SD numbers. Then I took someone’s advice and maxed out the HS and put the transfer port on the middle setting which yielded 577 fps with a JSB 15.89 and my accuracy improved and the spread and SD numbers went way down.
View attachment 415111

This is the tune I used today and it netted us 148 pigeons in about a 1.5 hour stroll around the dairy.
Looks like you’re on to something. I find the Atomic to be pretty fussy about tune. Perhaps a really heavy pellet would slow things down while maintaining killing energy? I noticed with mine that switching from 15.89 (which it’s tuned for at 700fps) to 18+/- grains drops poi quite a bit. Try a really gross pellet like 25 grains and get that to fly accurately and see what speed you get. Just a thought.

• Love
Hello everyone,

The 13th might be unlucky for some folks but it is my lucky day for shooting the 4-Card Challenge Target Number Two. Shot it just one time and received a Perfect Score of 250 Points. Before I move on to Target Number Three, I will shot this one again to try and get a few more shots dead center. I am liking this Ozark-TW more and more and getting real good shot count with the pressure setting on High.

ThomasT

Niksan Ozark-TW.110.jpg