What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Watch your cross hairs at the highest magnification then put your right hand on the gun with just enough pressure to (almost) break the shot then release all pressure and repeat. Do the cross hairs move? You must find a way to contact the trigger, using this method so that the cross hairs don’t move.
Hello @igolfat8

I understand what you are saying. However I sight and adjust and then shoot in a bit different way. Once I have acquired the Bull with my right hand already on the grip/trigger area, I then do the final fine adjustments. Any motion that my right hand would have on the target is a part of my final fine adjustment. Hope that makes sense :unsure:

ThomasT

Good morning @ThomasT

I think I understand what you are saying. But if you are making crosshair adjustments with your right hand, when you squeeze the trigger there is a very good chance that the trigger pull alone will exert a different force on the trigger and move your cross hairs.

Using your new rest and just for giggles, align your cross hairs with no body part touching the rifle, just use the front rest elevation and windage adjustments. Then try 2 different trigger techniques:
1st pinch the trigger between your thumb and index finger to break the shot.
2nd method is to place only the tip or front pad of your index finger and pull starlight back with no other part of your hand touching the rifle.

Let me know the results of each experiment. In both experiments exert force on the trigger, but don't break the shot while watching the crosshairs while you relax the force and repeat it. Did the cross hairs move? Neither may work better than your method but its worth trying. Some rifles just need to be touched in different ways and these are just two different ways to try. I am not sure why because it may just be a harmonics kind of thang?

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Good morning @ThomasT

I think I understand what you are saying. But if you are making crosshair adjustments with your right hand, when you squeeze the trigger there is a very good chance that the trigger pull alone will exert a different force on the trigger and move your cross hairs.

Using your new rest and just for giggles, align your cross hairs with no body part touching the rifle, just use the front rest elevation and windage adjustments. Then try 2 different trigger techniques:
1st pinch the trigger between your thumb and index finger to break the shot.
2nd method is to place only the tip or front pad of your index finger and pull starlight back with no other part of your hand touching the rifle.

Let me know the results of each experiment. In both experiments exert force on the trigger, but don't break the shot while watching the crosshairs while you relax the force and repeat it. Did the cross hairs move? Neither may work better than your method but its worth trying. Some rifles just need to be touched in different ways and these are just two different ways to try. I am not sure why because it may just be a harmonics kind of thang?
Good morning @igolfat8

1) I make all adjustments with this New Setup using only my left hand, my right hand remains on the rifle in a position ready to pull the trigger.
2) I have not made any adjustments to the Factory Settings on the trigger and it is a bit too firm. I will make some changes later on today and lighten it up some.
3) With the "stiff trigger" no need for me to try the two techniques at this time. The current pull is so firm that it definitely would move the cross hairs. I will give that a try after making the adjustment.

A second note: I do shoot the Brocock a bit differently than the Ozark-TW because of the way each one is mounted on the Rack. The Brocock uses a Bag for the rear support and the rear stock and cheek piece is a bit lower. With the Ozark-TW , the rear stock comes straight back to the Butt and this is supported by the New Fork / "Y" that I built. This setup is really rock solid because I slipped soft plastic tube over the two round rods that make up the "V" on the Fork. This tube has enough "friction" that it holds the rear stock from twisting and any fore to aft movement.

I have another project that I am working on this morning but will try to shoot some paper this afternoon and will give your advice a try (y)

ThomasT

Reactions: igolfat8
Tried Thomas' slightly modified target. I'm counting an X as the pellet touching the line intersection.

IMG_3028.jpeg

Tried Thomas' slightly modified target. I'm counting an X as the pellet touching the line intersection.

View attachment 416738
Hello @rsfrid

More excellent shooting with that pistol and an outstanding score on the New 2.0 target. Now I have my work cut out to best you.

ThomasT

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: sjs
Thanks for the target download. Had to try it. Winds have settled to single digits. Same rig as before. Fun target, I need to shoot some more of them.

View attachment 416818
Hello again @sjs

Looks like you shot a 180 which is a very nice score for your setup, keep the cards coming :)

ThomasT

Reactions: sjs
Hello everyone,

Cold windy day but I put some sunshine and heat on two paper targets this morning :) . First setup a General Target at 10-Meters and shot it to warm up my Niksan Ozark-TW .22 cal rifle and shot a 200 Score. Not all dead center but a little fine adjustment to the scope and I felt ready to go.

Next target at 10-Meters was the 4-Card Challenge, Target Number Four. This target has 52 Bullseyes and requires a set up change after each shot so it adds a bit to the challenge. Again not every shot dead center but I did hit every Bullseye and got a Score of 520 and that just made my day 🤩😁.

I now have over 700 shots down the barrel of this new rifle and it looks like it is completely broken in and ready to shoot.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Niksan Ozark-TW .22 caliber
Scope: Vector Optics, Tourex 6-24x50 FFP
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr
FPS: 800
FPE: 25.77
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT
Niksan Ozark-TW.116.jpg
Niksan Ozark-TW.117.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: rsfrid
Hello everyone,

Cold windy day but I put some sunshine and heat on two paper targets this morning :) . First setup a General Target at 10-Meters and shot it to warm up my Niksan Ozark-TW .22 cal rifle and shot a 200 Score. Not all dead center but a little fine adjustment to the scope and I felt ready to go.

Next target at 10-Meters was the 4-Card Challenge, Target Number Four. This target has 52 Bullseyes and requires a set up change after each shot so it adds a bit to the challenge. Again not every shot dead center but I did hit every Bullseye and got a Score of 520 and that just made my day 🤩😁.

I now have over 700 shots down the barrel of this new rifle and it looks like it is completely broken in and ready to shoot.

Rifle: Niksan Ozark-TW .22 caliber
Scope: Vector Optics, Tourex 6-24x50 FFP
FPS: 800
FPE: 25.77

ThomasT
View attachment 416988View attachment 416990
How do I top that? Nice shooting bud.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
How do I top that? Nice shooting bud.
Hello @rsfrid

What really helped me on that second target was the Rifle Rack and being able to move so precisely from one Bull to the next. Before when I was using bags front and rear, I had so much to move to be able to re-sight from one Bull to the next. My jaws are hurting from the big smile on my face 😁

ThomasT

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid
Hello everyone,

Well fellows I am on fire today, just shot my second Perfect Score of 520 on the 4-Card Challenge, Target Number Four 😁 . However this time it was with my Brocock Sniper XR .22 cal. After this much concentration my poor ole brain is completely burned out 😵.

Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
FPS: 834
FPE: 28

ThomasT
Brocock Sniper XR.108.jpg

Reactions: Ranchibi