What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Shot some critters today. First trip through the target was just body shots then second trip was head shots to finish em off. Air Arms S510 Tactical .22 @10M indoors.

IMG_7746.jpeg

Then shot our clubs 50 foot indoor target. I had one miss on the bottom right bull so I went back and double tapped it again.
IMG_7748.jpeg

Hello @Troy Bakel

That is some fine pistol shooting (y) (y) (y)

ThomasT
Thanks. I slowly adjusted the air tube clamp from fore to aft in small increments until the balance on the bipod was such that the bottom of the pistol grip just rests in the palm of my right hand resulting in a very steady sight picture with both elbows on the table. Of the 25 shots, two were zeros due to intrinsic design flaws in the stool to trigger interface.

Reactions: rsfrid
Shot some critters today. First trip through the target was just body shots then second trip was head shots to finish em off. Air Arms S510 Tactical .22 @10M indoors.

View attachment 417121

Then shot our clubs 50 foot indoor target. I had one miss on the bottom right bull so I went back and double tapped it again.
View attachment 417122
Great shooting! My current favorite card is the 50 foot smallbore.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Very nice. Looks like fun.
It was. I had my music playing, heart rate in the mid 50s, shallow breathing, and was totally in the zone. I so enjoy air pistol because follow through is real and mellow and you can stay in the zone after each shot. When I light off my 0.222 G1 Thompson Center Contender, in the zone, using the same hold, the pistol has such a violent orgasm that follow through is just keeping the pistol on the bench.

• Wow
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Hello @igolfat8

OK Tim I tried both of your different trigger techniques this evening on both rifles. I did not change the pull on either rifle so currently they pull at just under 2-1/2 pounds.

A) 1st pinch the trigger between your thumb and index finger to break the shot. Both rifle had almost no movement and by that I mean, viewing through the scope at the center of a Bull/10 Ring ( .25" circle ) the center Dot of the Reticle remained within the circle.

However on B) 2nd method is to place only the tip or front pad of your index finger and pull starlight back with no other part of your hand touching the rifle. The Ozark-TW mounted on the Rifle Rack allowed the center Dot of the Reticle to move just outside of the circle. The Brocock mounted on bags both front and rear moved way off and out of the circle.

I have already ordered the materials to build another Fork ,"Y" , but a lower style just for the Brocock. This new Fork will work with any rifle with a conventional rear stock. Then I will shoot everything from the Rifle Rack.

ThomasT

It was. I had my music playing, heart rate in the mid 50s, shallow breathing, and was totally in the zone. I so enjoy air pistol because follow through is real and mellow and you can stay in the zone after each shot. When I light off my 0.222 G1 Thompson Center Contender, in the zone, using the same hold, the pistol has such a violent orgasm that follow through is just keeping the pistol on the bench.
In the zone… my favorite place to be while shooting. I agree fully.

Hello everyone,

Well fellows I am on fire today, just shot my second Perfect Score of 520 on the 4-Card Challenge, Target Number Four 😁 . However this time it was with my Brocock Sniper XR .22 cal. After this much concentration my poor ole brain is completely burned out 😵.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr
FPS: 834
FPE: 28
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT
View attachment 417046
PERFECTION Thomas! Kudos to you and yes your tired gray matter! Please FRAME THESE 🤗. I know if I play a great round of golf I am mentally exhausted after....glad it doesn't happen too often....😂👍

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
PERFECTION Thomas! Kudos to you and yes your tired gray matter! Pkease FRAME THESE 🤗. I know if I play a great round of golf I am mentally exhausted after....glad it doesn't happen too often....😂👍
Hello @Ranchibi

You know this is a fun hobby / sport owning and shooting air guns. I almost always receive some form of pleasure and enjoyment messing around with this equipment. But every once in a while I get really lucky and shoot a good card and it adds just a touch more to my day :giggle: .

ThomasT

Hello @igolfat8

OK Tim I tried both of your different trigger techniques this evening on both rifles. I did not change the pull on either rifle so currently they pull at just under 2-1/2 pounds.

A) 1st pinch the trigger between your thumb and index finger to break the shot. Both rifle had almost no movement and by that I mean, viewing through the scope at the center of a Bull/10 Ring ( .25" circle ) the center Dot of the Reticle remained within the circle.

However on B) 2nd method is to place only the tip or front pad of your index finger and pull starlight back with no other part of your hand touching the rifle. The Ozark-TW mounted on the Rifle Rack allowed the center Dot of the Reticle to move just outside of the circle. The Brocock mounted on bags both front and rear moved way off and out of the circle.

I have already ordered the materials to build another Fork ,"Y" , but a lower style just for the Brocock. This new Fork will work with any rifle with a conventional rear stock. Then I will shoot everything from the Rifle Rack.

ThomasT
Hello @ThomasT , Thanks for taking the time and initiative to try something different. When you say
the center Dot of the Reticle remained within the circle
Let me offer another suggestion. Print some small teeny tiny circles that your scope's reticle dot just fits inside of. Then work on that same trigger technique to keep that dot within the smaller circle. That practice alone will drastically improve your scores. It may seem difficult and it is but it will pay huge dividends.

• Love
Hello everyone,

Another cold and windy morning but the sun is shining and that is enough for me to shoot some paper targets. I am starting the 4-Card Challenge at 25-yards using the Brocock Sniper XR and only had time to shoot the Number One target this morning. Shot a score of 90 so this afternoon I can try target Number Two.

Wind: 5 to 15 mph

ThomasT

Brocock Sniper XR.109.jpg

Hello everyone,

Another cold and windy morning but the sun is shining and that is enough for me to shoot some paper targets. I am starting the 4-Card Challenge at 25-yards using the Brocock Sniper XR and only had time to shoot the Number One target this morning. Shot a score of 90 so this afternoon I can try target Number Two.

Wind: 5 to 15 mph

ThomasT

View attachment 417259
Thomas, great card n the wind! I hope you get to shoot another card today...or two! Gonna be doing XMas today (wife is an RN and works XMas day) so I will be slow roasting a 5 bone rib roast (prime rib) starting this morning, 8:people all together.

• Love
Thomas, great card n the wind! I hope you get to shoot another card today...or two! Gonna be doing XMas today (wife is an RN and works XMas day) so I will be slow roasting a 5 bone rib roast (prime rib) starting this morning, 8:people all together.
Hello @Ranchibi

Gosh and ole-golee-gee, somehow I did not get my invitation in the mail ;). Happy Holidays to you and the family.

ThomasT

A little variety today. The NRA smallbore target followed by @ThomasT modified general target. I'm loving this target Thomas — very easy to see the shots. My self-imposed goal is to at least touch intersection of cross lines. Not good enough for me to just get hole in the circle 🙄😏🫢

View attachment 417612
View attachment 417611
Hello @rsfrid

Perfect card, what a great job of shooting Ross, you just set the standard for me to try and beat, (y) (y) (y)

And I agree, the 2.0 design change on this Target is great. I have shot it several times now and it is so much easier to sight and shoot.

ThomasT

• Love
Hello everyone,

Did not shoot any paper targets today as a competition but instead tested 3 different pellets.

I truly do not understand what has happened. I shot about 40 JTS Dead Center 18gr at one target, then shot about 35 AA 18gr at a 2nd target. And the last target 31 JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr pellets.

With the JTS I only hit the Bullseye cleanly 8 times, then took extra shots to get a MOA
With the AA I only hit the Bullseye cleanly 11 times, then took extra shots to get a MOA

Now let me say here that I did NOT have one cull/reject out of the above.

Finally I shot the JSB and hit the Bullseye cleanly 21 times, and then took 5 mores shots to get MOA.

This is a brand new Tin of 500 pieces that I used and please look at the photo of what I culled/rejected. Also note that I did not preselect ANY of the pellets, I just culled the pellets before inserting them into the magazines. At this rate 1/4 to 1/3 of the pellets in this Tin will be rejected. How in the HECK can the JSB out shoot the others with this poor quality????

Pellets: JSB, JTS, AA 18gr
Wind: 0 to 5 mph

ThomasT
JSB Jumbo Heavy.jpg
Brocock Sniper XR.110.jpg

Hello everyone,

Did not shoot any paper targets today as a competition but instead tested 3 different pellets.

I truly do not understand what has happened. I shot about 40 JTS Dead Center 18gr at one target, then shot about 35 AA 18gr at a 2nd target. And the last target 31 JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr pellets.

With the JTS I only hit the Bullseye cleanly 8 times, then took extra shots to get a MOA
With the AA I only hit the Bullseye cleanly 11 times, then took extra shots to get a MOA

Finally I shot the JSB and hit the Bullseye cleanly 21 times, and then took 5 mores shots to get MOA.

This is a brand new Tin of 500 pieces that I used and please look at the photo of what I culled/rejected. Also note that I did not preselect ANY of the pellets, I just culled the pellets before inserting them into the magazines. At this rate 1/4 to 1/3 of the pellets in this Tin will be rejected. How in the HECK can the JSB out shoot the others with this poor quality????

ThomasT
View attachment 417626View attachment 417627
If it were me, I wouldn't throw those away. I keep a few around to use to even out the skirts of damaged pellets like in the photo below.

IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

• Love
If it were me, I wouldn't throw those away. I keep a few around to use to even out the skirts of damaged pellets like in the photo below.

View attachment 417635
View attachment 417636
Hello @rsfrid

Great idea, I will try that and I did keep them in another Tin.

Boy if I still had my Lathe and my Mill, I would make a "Pellet Redoo-er" where you could drop in a damaged skirt like I have and simply pull down on a lever and "presto", a better than new - damaged, reconditioned, repaired and refurbished piece of lead o_O

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

ThomasT
View attachment 417626View attachment 417627
Thomas, I feel ya man! I think a lot of the deformities are shipping related. When we order from a vendor, most times they get the hecky darn beaten out of them being a parcel! If a pallet of pellets goes sideways....😢. I've found so much less issues with slugs as they are almost solid, no bent skirts...😂. Now pellets with 2 heads, 3:skirts are on the manufacturers....😳😂. In reality, I do have to use my pellet seater to round out some bent skirts in each tin of pellets, I just put them aside like you and later fix them....but lately I also have been sizing each tin and the probe usually fixes any bent skirt issues as I size each one.

• Love