What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Hello everyone,

Good ole Texas Winter weather, cold, wet and windy yesterday and today it is 61f, brilliant blue sky and light wind. So rather than shoot one time at each Bull I decided to shoot 5 times allowing me 60 shots at one target. Not too bad with contact on every 10-Ring makes for a fun card.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Niksan Ozark-TW .22 caliber
Scope: Vector Optics, Tourex 6-24x50 FFP
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr, resized to 5.53
FPS: 800
FPE: 25.77
Wind: 2 to 5 mph variable

ThomasT

Niksan Ozark-TW.131.jpg

Hello everyone,

Good ole Texas Winter weather, cold, wet and windy yesterday and today it is 61f, brilliant blue sky and light wind. So rather than shoot one time at each Bull I decided to shoot 5 times allowing me 60 shots at one target. Not too bad with contact on every 10-Ring makes for a fun card.

ThomasT

View attachment 423032
Excellent shooting!

Hello everyone,

ThomasT

View attachment 423032
Yup, just as I thought, fantastic card! Nice shooting Thomas!

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
a
Hello everyone,

ThomasT
My HM1000x loves those JSB's in 5.53. Still have 25 tines leftover from 10years ago! What did you use to resize your pellets and is it available?
Thanks Mike
Mike

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
a

My HM1000x loves those JSB's in 5.53. Still have 25 tines leftover from 10years ago! What did you use to resize your pellets and is it available?
Thanks Mike
Mike
Mike, didn't mean to intrude, but I use one of these for my RAW .22...they come in different diameters and choice of metal, stainless steel or brass I believe. I have a SS in 5.52. Plus, the plunger doubles for pellets with deformed skirts...😂

Reactions: manabeknives
a

Thanks Mike
Mike
Hello @manabeknives

I used the same "tool" as what @Ranchibi / Randel has posted. If memory serves me correctly, I did purchase mine off Ebay also.

ThomasT

Reactions: Ranchibi
Hello @manabeknives

I used the same "tool" as what @Ranchibi / Randel has posted. If memory serves me correctly, I did purchase mine off Ebay also.

ThomasT
Awesome. I placed an order for one..hopefully it can help me with the varied headsizes of these JSB .22 cal 25.39g.

Hello everyone

My plan for this morning was to shoot a bunch of paper targets with various pellets, but with winds of 20mph and gust to 25mph I only shot at one target. However all was not lost because I did learn two very important things that I will share here and hopefully will benefit other benchrest shooters 😁 ,

When do you NOT read or need your Wind Flags :unsure::
answer #1, when your yard furniture is being blown about in the yard :geek:
answer #2, when the wind noise is louder than your neighbors truck without a muffler ;)

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards
Pellets: FX 25.4gr resized to 5.53
FPS: ?
FPE: ?
Wind: 20 to 25 mph variable

ThomasT

PS: it took me approximately 10 minutes to shoot this target ☹️
Niksan Ozark-TW.132.jpg

Wow ..Nice and tight on the vertical...the left-right must have been crazy! When conditions are that wild...what are you looking at to time your shots?
Excellent!
Mike
Hello @manabeknives

To be completely honest a lot of shots were just guessing. I shoot from inside my house through a 12 x 12 window so I do not get the full effect of the wind. I was listening and watching the leaves on my driveway most of the time. One of my flags had blown off of the target frame and the other one never stopped moving, so I disregarded it completely. I also tried to watch the actual paper target through the scope and when it would stop pulsating I would shoot. It was a bit too frustrating so I gave up for the morning.

ThomasT

Hello everyone

My plan for this morning was to shoot a bunch of paper targets with various pellets, but with winds of 20mph and gust to 25mph I only shot at one target. However all was not lost because I did learn two very important things that I will share here and hopefully will benefit other benchrest shooters 😁 ,

When do you NOT read or need your Wind Flags :unsure::
answer #1, when your yard furniture is being blown about in the yard :geek:
answer #2, when the wind noise is louder than your neighbors truck without a muffler ;)

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards
Wind: 20 to 25 mph variable

ThomasT

PS: it took me approximately 10 minutes to shoot this target ☹️
View attachment 423335
Thomas, you are definitely one dedicated shooter! Nice card in some terrible windy conditions!

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
Thomas, you are definitely one dedicated shooter! Nice card in some terrible windy conditions!
Hello @Ranchibi

If it is not raining then most days I am able to shoot at least one target. The weather got worst and we had a high wind gust to 43mph, then the National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning for my area o_O. Today forecast is for winds to 30 to 40 with higher gust. If I can get a paper target to stay on the backing I will try to shoot today 😁

ThomasT

Hello @igolfat8

That is some very fine shooting. Do ya'll get to shoot practice targets before the actual competition?

ThomasT
Good morning @ThomasT , We used to provide a 10 minute sight in period before the matches started but that made for a long day. Now, if someone has not shot at our matches previously or are shooting a different rifle or different scope then the first card they shoot we allow 13 minutes for the first relay. That is sufficient time to sight most any rifle in at 50' and shoot 10 record shots. The remaining 3 cards are shot with a 10 minute time limit. Most shooters are done shooting within 5 minutes or less so 10 minutes is more than enough time to shoot one shot at 10 individual bulls. Initially when I began shooting in these matches I thought I would be rushed to shoot 10 record shots in 10 minutes but its not been the case for me nor for anyone else. I even single load too and don't use magazines which you would think would be even slower but its really not much different than the magazine shooters. We had 18 shooters Sunday or 3 relays of 6 shooters, since our indoor range only has 6 benches and everyone shot 4 cards or a total of 40 shots plus sighters. We were done in less than 2-1/2 hours so I think we run a pretty time efficient program.

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Hello everyone,

You cannot imagine how hard I worked to shoot this paper target this morning. I am attaching a copy of the National Weather Service report for Lufkin, Texas which is the closest town to me. The wind actually blew over both of my metal target frames this morning :oops:. The backing plate is 24-inches square out of 1/8" steel plate and can swing from the top mount. The paper target was swinging back and forth the whole time that I was shooting and that was interesting :). I knew I didn’t have a chance at 25-yards so I shot this at 10-meters. A bit disappointed because the one Bull that I missed, I had waited at least 2 to 3 minutes before I shot :mad:.

Wind: 20 to 30 mph w/ gust 40+

ThomasT
Weather Lufkin,TX.jpg
Niksan Ozark-TW.133.jpg

Hello @Ranchibi

If it is not raining then most days I am able to shoot at least one target. The weather got worst and we had a high wind gust to 43mph, then the National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning for my area o_O. Today forecast is for winds to 30 to 40 with higher gust. If I can get a paper target to stay on the backing I will try to shoot today 😁

ThomasT
Your weather is much tougher than here and, you are WAY more dedicated a shooter than me as we had 15-30mph gusts the other day and I hunkered down and....WATCHED TV...😂. Please don't get blown away if you shoot today! 🤗

• Haha
Hello everyone,

You cannot imagine how hard I worked to shoot this paper target this morning. I am attaching a copy of the National Weather Service report for Lufkin, Texas which is the closest town to me. The wind actually blew over both of my metal target frames this morning :oops:. The backing plate is 24-inches square out of 1/8" steel plate and can swing from the top mount. The paper target was swinging back and forth the whole time that I was shooting and that was interesting :). I knew I didn’t have a chance at 25-yards so I shot this at 10-meters. A bit disappointed because the one Bull that I missed, I had waited at least 2 to 3 minutes before I shot :mad:.

Wind: 20 to 30 mph w/ gust 40+

ThomasT
View attachment 423624View attachment 423625
Thomas....that is DEDICATION! A really great card considering the elements! I have a friend that now works for DFW, moved back to Fort Worth from Calif and worked @ LAX.....said he has gone soft living in CA talking about the weather in TX....😂

Last edited:
  • Love