What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Another great card...Makes an introvert(me) want to get outdoors! I don't know why, but the target messes with my eyes when i take a quick look at it.
Do you ever set out flags, or just looking at the surroundings? Wind from behind you?? I see almost all horizontal with just 3 up/downs.
Have you seen the up/down wind indicator by Graham? wanted to know yout thoughts...also any other recomended flags?
Thanks
Mike
Hello @manabeknives

I really do not like this target even though I designed it :oops:, it is the staggered white / black in the 10-Ring that makes you go a bit nuts o_O. But looking through a scope at 25 to 50 yards, it sure is easy to zero in on the dead center.

Yes, I normally have one flag on my target frame itself, but not any in between except on my 85-yard target. I really don't read the wind flags real well. So on low wind days ( 5 to 10 mph ) I concentrate mainly on the paper target itself, by that I mean I actually watch the paper. My target frames have it where the cardboard is set off from the 24" square steel backing plate by 2 inches on all four corners. Between these corners is open so any wind can blow behind the cardboard which effects the paper target, ( see attached photos ). If the Paper Target shows any pulsating movement I will "hold" my shot. I sure hope this makes some sense to you.

On high wind days ( 10+ mph ) I do watch the flags and anything like leaves that will give me some direction information. When the wind is high I really do not try to shoot a "competitive result", I just try to do the best that I can given the conditions.

I shoot from inside my house so I do not feel any wind on me at all.

No I have not see the up/down wind indicator, I'm afraid that would be another distraction for me.

ThomasT
Benchrest Indoor-2A.jpg

Target Frame.2.jpg
Target Frame.3.jpg

Another great card...Makes an introvert(me) want to get outdoors! I don't know why, but the target messes with my eyes when i take a quick look at it.
Do you ever set out flags, or just looking at the surroundings? Wind from behind you?? I see almost all horizontal with just 3 up/downs.
Have you seen the up/down wind indicator by Graham? wanted to know yout thoughts...also any other recomended flags?
Thanks
Mike
I use a JD Custom Designs scope wind flag...had him (Mike I think) build me a scope version of his barrel version, you can see the red flag hanging from my scope. It can be rotated vertically either way, I just have it there but put it up when the wind picks up. Mounts using dual o'rings.
IMG_7134.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello everyone

Bad weather and high winds has kept me in my shop working on a new project, but today the winds are down to just 10 to 20mph. Still a lot higher than I like to shoot paper targets but you take what you can get. The first card that I shot I used the bad JSB pellets right out of the Tin and my low score shows that. Next I shot a test target with the same pellets but resized with my 5.53 tool and then I shot this last target. The accuracy improvement shows with a Perfect Score on this card.

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr Resized 5.53
FPS: 834
FPE: 28
Wind: 10 to 20 mph

ThomasT

Brocock Sniper XR.116.jpg
Brocock Sniper XR.117.jpg

Hello everyone

Bad weather and high winds has kept me in my shop working on a new project, but today the winds are down to just 10 to 20mph. Still a lot higher than I like to shoot paper targets but you take what you can get. The first card that I shot I used the bad JSB pellets right out of the Tin and my low score shows that. Next I shot a test target with the same pellets but resized with my 5.53 tool and then I shot this last target. The accuracy improvement shows with a Perfect Score on this card.

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards

ThomasT

View attachment 424941View attachment 424942
Thomas! Very nice card in the wind and resized pellets! I did some practice also today but it was 40 degrees and I was wearing shorts, tee and a 3/4 sleeve over it....froze my blankety u know what off....😂...all my doing, toopid I know! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
Thomas! Very nice card in the wind and resized pellets! I did some practice also today but it was 40 degrees and I was wearing shorts, tee and a 3/4 sleeve over it....froze my blankety u know what off....😂...all my doing, toopid I know! 😂
Hello @Ranchibi

I think it is a very wise decision when you choose to do some shooting over sitting on your behind watching TV. My area will be below freezing for 2 to 3 days in a row starting tonight, but thank goodness we will return to the upper 50's and mid 60's.

Have a great weekend,
ThomasT

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello @Ranchibi

I think it is a very wise decision when you choose to do some shooting over sitting on your behind watching TV. My area will be below freezing for 2 to 3 days in a row starting tonight, but thank goodness we will return to the upper 50's and mid 60's.

Have a great weekend,
ThomasT
Thomas, thank you for the kind words! I did wake up @ 5:45am, did my Jane Fonda 20 minute workout, showered then shot. I hope you get some PCP time sooner than later weather permitting!

Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
10 meter air pistol target, offhand, low left target with one hand, the others with two hands. HW 70 Black Arrow with red dot. Because it is a spring piston I cheated and only shot from 7 yards.
View attachment 425514
I like this target, easier to see the center for me.
View attachment 425511
I'll try 10 meters next time.
Hello @sjs

Very fine shooting for offhand (y)

ThomasT

Hello @Florida_Man

Most of your grouping looks real good.

ThomasT
Thanks. The center and top right are from last week. Those were 10m standing with a ladder for support. I’m just trying to break in the rifle. The Stoeger 8 grain wadcutter aren’t it’s favorite pellet, but nothing else likes them I have so it’s a good pellet for the purpose.

Reactions: ThomasT
I don’t think I have ever done any offhand shooting, but I knew I had some of those targets, so I gave it a go. It is way more difficult than I expected. I get “target anxiety “ and start to shake only when I bear down on the target. I tried to draw the rifle across an imaginary line in hope that I can avoid shaking…but still do and only when near the target. Anyways, the very first one I shot, I did not even touch the targets..the second was more of the same. I calmed down a little and shot 3 more. I think I can do better if I keep at it. Loads of respect for those hunters out there shooting offhand.
FX 400
18.1g jsb

IMG_0051.jpeg

IMG_0053.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

I don’t think I have ever done any offhand shooting, but I knew I had some of those targets, so I gave it a go. It is way more difficult than I expected. I get “target anxiety “ and start to shake only when I bear down on the target. I tried to draw the rifle across an imaginary line in hope that I can avoid shaking…but still do and only when near the target. Anyways, the very first one I shot, I did not even touch the targets..the second was more of the same. I calmed down a little and shot 3 more. I think I can do better if I keep at it. Loads of respect for those hunters out there shooting offhand.
FX 400
18.1g jsb

View attachment 426069

View attachment 426070

View attachment 426071
Hello @manabeknives

Hey, that last card looks pretty good :D

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

Well the temperature finally got up above freezing so I opened my small shooting window and set a target out at 10-Meters and shot just one paper target.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters

ThomasT

Brocock Sniper XR.118.jpg

FX 400
18.1g jsb

View attachment 426069

View attachment 426070

View attachment 426071
try this : remember the first sight is the steadiest . relax try a figure 8 motion try to shoot on one of the first few passes (3 or 4th ) just think it the first few tries to get your timing . relax put the gun down on a table or back of a chair a rest of some kind. Not letting go of the gun , just relax and rest the gun arms . repeat .

Nice chootin’ @ThomasT . I‘m not tough enough to shoot outdoors in 4* temps so I wimped out and shot indoors at 10M. These are 10 shot groups in 1/4” circles with my Revere .22 .

View attachment 426208
Hello @igolfat8

Those look like "one-hole" / 10-shot groups to me :D (y). Is this Revere shooting more accurate than your old Challenger?

ThomasT