What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

try this : remember the first sight is the steadiest . relax try a figure 8 motion try to shoot on one of the first few passes (3 or 4th ) just think it the first few tries to get your timing . relax put the gun down on a table or back of a chair a rest of some kind. Not letting go of the gun , just relax and rest the gun arms . repeat .
Thank you @beerthief for you tip on offhand shooting! I will definitely give it a try. I do feel that keeping a steady motion will help me calm my anxieties. Just feels like when I approach the target, a 6.0 earthquake happens I will try to concentrate more on looping the figure 8 than actually sighting the target.
Thank you
Mike

Nice chootin’ @ThomasT . I‘m not tough enough to shoot outdoors in 4* temps so I wimped out and shot indoors at 10M. These are 10 shot groups in 1/4” circles with my Revere .22 .

View attachment 426208
Love the precision of you Revere! 10 shots and you have barely broken the lines of the 1/4” circle! Outstanding. Looks so simple, but I know that it is not. Excellent steady shooting. Having a rifle shoot that way makes me smile!
Mike

Hello @igolfat8

Those look like "one-hole" / 10-shot groups to me :D (y). Is this Revere shooting more accurate than your old Challenger?

ThomasT
Thanks @ThomasT. Yes I believe this one is as accurate at 10M as the Challenger. The trigger on the Revere is sublime out of the box breaking at 6oz but the Challenger was around 2 ounces and maybe a touch better, after I worked on it. I’m going to leave the Revere trigger as is for a while and let everything wear in as I break the rifle in. It’s just too darn cold to get outside yet to see how this one shoots at longer distances but from what I am seeing now I am confident that it’s going to be a fun rifle to shoot outdoors. We have a 50’ indoor match this weekend but I am not sure if I will shoot it yet. I want to put at least a tin down the pipe first. I’m getting close now so time will tell.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
I gave @beerthief”s advice a try, but unfortunately, I was drawing figure 8 like a kid with a slot car racer. Way too fast and reckless. I tried making a plus sign across the target about the distance of the scope”s reticle. I do realize it helps me to distract myself. The good and the not so good.
Mike

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Mike, @manabeknives I’ve never shot much 3 position rifle but when I participated in an Appleseed Project they taught a “natural point of aim” technique that worked quite well for all positions. It’s difficult for me to explain but it might be worth looking into?

Google this:
natural point of aim for rifle shooting

Mike, @manabeknives I’ve never shot much 3 position rifle but when I participated in an Appleseed Project they taught a “natural point of aim” technique that worked quite well for all positions. It’s difficult for me to explain but it might be worth looking into?

Google this:
natural point of aim for rifle shooting
Looking it up...Thank you for the suggestion

Hello everyone,

Well the temperature finally got up above freezing so I opened my small shooting window and set a target out at 10-Meters and shot just one paper target.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr Resized 5.53
FPS: 834
FPE: 28
Wind: 10 to 20 mph

ThomasT

View attachment 426150
Thomas, super card in tough windy conditions! Kudos!

• Love
Hello everyone,

Started shooting Wadcutters at 10-Meters this morning but the cotton-picking wind blew them out of the county o_O . So I switched to some 21gr Slugs and didn’t do too badly shooting 5-Shots per target :). This is the first time that I have tried shooting Slugs with this rifle and pleased with how they are shooting. When the wind dies down I will try them at 25-yards.

Pellets: H&N Slug HP 21gr
FPS:
FPE:
Wind: 15 to 25 mph

ThomasT
Brocock Sniper XR.119.jpg

Reactions: Ranchibi
Hello everyone,

Started shooting Wadcutters at 10-Meters this morning but the cotton-picking wind blew them out of the county o_O . So I switched to some 21gr Slugs and didn’t do too badly shooting 5-Shots per target :). This is the first time that I have tried shooting Slugs with this rifle and pleased with how they are shooting. When the wind dies down I will try them at 25-yards.

Pellets: H&N Slug HP 21gr
FPS:
FPE:
Wind: 15 to 25 mph

ThomasT
View attachment 426765
Oh yeah Thomas! Slinging slugs! That is some impressive card there with slugs! I usually alternate shooting a pellet then a slug or a couple then the other! How fun!

• Love
Only testing some pellets at 20 yards. 18-20 yards is my typical pest control range. The P35 25 cal is ready
Big target is shot from bench, small is under my feeder and I rest the rifle on a window sill

Hello @Florida_Man

Looks like you are ready, good shooting.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

Just messing around shooting a bunch of different paper targets this morning and various pellets. Cold at 31 degrees F and it made it hard for me to view clearly through the scope. The cold air coming inside my house with my room temperature set at 73 degrees, the contrast made viewing through the scope really difficult because the target looked to be moving / dancing 🤪 .

These are the last two targets that I shot. I shot three different pellets as a comparison on the top target and the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr shot the best so I shot the next target with just the JSB.

Pellets: Various
FPS:
FPE:
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT
Brocock Sniper XR.121.jpg
Brocock Sniper XR.120.jpg

Hello everyone,

Just messing around shooting a bunch of different paper targets this morning and various pellets. Cold at 31 degrees F and it made it hard for me to view clearly through the scope. The cold air coming inside my house with my room temperature set at 73 degrees, the contrast made viewing through the scope really difficult because the target looked to be moving / dancing 🤪 .

These are the last two targets that I shot. I shot three different pellets as a comparison on the top target and the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr shot the best so I shot the next target with just the JSB.

Pellets: Various
FPS:
FPE:

ThomasT
View attachment 427080View attachment 427081
Thomas, excellent shooting and cards with moving targets...😂👍🤗

• Haha
Thomas, excellent shooting and cards with moving targets...😂👍🤗
Hello @Ranchibi

I don't have the best vision so it was a challenge trying to "guess" when the scope was actually dead center on a target. I have experienced this "dancing target" before on cold mornings but it was really crazy this morning. I'm thinking it was because the wind was blowing straight in my window.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

Went outside to put seeds in my Bird Feeders and I noticed that the wind had changed direction. So I put up this target out at 25-yards. Went back into the house and looked through my scope and NO dancing Bulleyes. Still windy and cold but not having that cold wind blow straight into my shooting window made a huge difference.

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards

ThomasT

Brocock Sniper XR.122.jpg

Hello everyone,

Went outside to put seeds in my Bird Feeders and I noticed that the wind had changed direction. So I put up this target out at 25-yards. Went back into the house and looked through my scope and NO dancing Bulleyes. Still windy and cold but not having that cold wind blow straight into my shooting window made a huge difference.

Range: Outdoor 25-Yards

ThomasT

View attachment 427196
Great card Thomas! Moving 🎯 is like death to me...😂! Awesome shooting and I am glad the wind changed directions for ya! I woke up early to plink because rain was forecasted and yup, it is raining now but got my trigger time in....oh yeah! 🤗

Last edited:
  • Love