What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Thanks. I’m just trying to bond with this rifle and I’m learning that it doesn’t shoot the 25.4’s as accurately as the 18 and 16s. It doesn’t like the harder alloy JTS pellets as well as the softer JSB and AAs either. It’s a fun rifle to shoot and I am eager to stretch its legs whenever the weather warms up?

I found that the 25.4's had a huge variation in weights. i sorted through 3 tins and found weights from 24.7 to 25.72. Now that they are also sized/sorted, they are a lot more consistent. Hopefully when they release the short/long skirt versions, the new die will keep it more consistent.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello everyone,

Trying to get in some paper target shooting this week has been rough. Three days below freezing in the teens, then one nice day, and heavy rain for the last four days. I had to rush shooting this target to keep it from getting too wet but got it in just before another down pour.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr Resized 5.53
FPS: 834
FPE: 28
Wind: 5 to 10 mph with rain

ThomasT

Brocock Sniper XR.123.jpg

Nice shooting Thomas. Our weather has been cold and soggy here too. I shot four targets today, still trying to break in my Revere and it’s coming along nicely. Experimented with 3 different moderators and lots of pellet combinations plus pipe cleaning every 30 shots.

View attachment 428660View attachment 428661View attachment 428663View attachment 428662
Hello @igolfat8

As well as that rifle shoots most pellets that makes it good but also hard to select the "best" one.

ThomasT

Went back to the range for another session of “Find the right Slug” for my RAW .22 cut-rifle barrel. The lighter slugs are doing better than the heavier slugs at the current settings. Since the regulator in not external, it makes the adjustments kinda slow. So far, the NSA 2o.2g slugs and the FX hybrids (figures my rifle likes expensive food), are grouping nicely. I only did 1 grouping of the FX because I really didn’t have that many. I have some more on the way. They had the best group (A) .63 ctc @100 yards. The NSA’s initial groups were (B).93 and (C) .90 ctc. I made a small increase to the hammer and shoot next group (D).71 ctc.
More slugs for testing are on the way, probably the last batch I will order for tests.
I really need to find a rifle that likes all the pellets and slugs that the RAW doesn’t !
Mike

IMG_0071.jpeg

Hello @igolfat8

As well as that rifle shoots most pellets that makes it good but also hard to select the "best" one.

ThomasT
I know, right? I’m just trying to find the combo that shoots a hole (consistently) inside the circle without straying up, down, left or right. I pay very close attention to my crosshairs before and after breaking the shot to make sure the POI is what I expect without any fliers. I am also experimenting with a new mechanical rear rest that I built.

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Nice shooting Thomas. Our weather has been cold and soggy here too. I shot four targets today, still trying to break in my Revere and it’s coming along nicely. Experimented with 3 different moderators and lots of pellet combinations plus pipe cleaning every 30 shots.

View attachment 428660View attachment 428661View attachment 428663View attachment 428662
What kind of rest did you just get? Were you indexing with the moderator? It looks like the shots just love staying in that ring! Baracudas look nice! Love the accuracy of the rifle.
Mike

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Went back to the range for another session of “Find the right Slug” for my RAW .22 cut-rifle barrel. The lighter slugs are doing better than the heavier slugs at the current settings. Since the regulator in not external, it makes the adjustments kinda slow. So far, the NSA 2o.2g slugs and the FX hybrids (figures my rifle likes expensive food), are grouping nicely. I only did 1 grouping of the FX because I really didn’t have that many. I have some more on the way. They had the best group (A) .63 ctc @100 yards. The NSA’s initial groups were (B).93 and (C) .90 ctc. I made a small increase to the hammer and shoot next group (D).71 ctc.
More slugs for testing are on the way, probably the last batch I will order for tests.
I really need to find a rifle that likes all the pellets and slugs that the RAW doesn’t !
Mike

View attachment 428669
Hello @manabeknives

A .63 ctc @100 yards is just darn good shooting. I know you want one single hole ( like we all do ) but that is a great start.

ThomasT

@manabeknives , I bought a precision scissor lift and cross slide from AliExpress then mounted those to an aluminum base with 3 leveling screws. I’ve been using an AccuTac bipod paired with a Holeshot rear mechanical rest but I’m liking this one a little better.

No indexing on the moderator. I hadn’t considered that so thanks, maybe next time?

I know, right? I’m just trying to find the combo that shoots a hole (consistently) inside the circle without straying up, down, left or right. I pay very close attention to my crosshairs before and after breaking the shot to make sure the POI is what I expect without any fliers. I am also experimenting with a new mechanical rear rest that I built.
Hello again Tim,

You have to take into consideration the inconsistent nature of the pellet. No matter if you weigh and size the pellets, they still do "what they want to do" even if is a tiny bit. But as I said to Mike, we want 5-shots in one clean hole 🤩

PS: with my wet paper target today I couldn't even get one pellet in a clean hole 😁:LOL::ROFLMAO:

ThomasT

Thanks Thomas I really appreciate the comments. It is a great start, i kinda suprised myself. I really didn't know what to expect. I didn't have the target you made with me today. looking at it on my desk. I'll use it when i narrow it all down. If i can master that target, i'll know that i am set.
Mike