What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Hello everyone,

Received three new CARM magazines for my Brocock Commander XR and I wanted to give them a try out today. Very easy to load but the process in backwards from the Factory magazine, however they shot excellent, every pellet almost dead center. This is my target for the day.

Rifle: Brocock Commander XR .177
Pellet: JSB Exact Match Heavy 10.34gr
Distance: 10-Meters
Wind: 2 to 4mph

ThomasT
Brocock Commander XR .5.jpg

Hello everyone,

Received three new CARM magazines for my Brocock Commander XR and I wanted to give them a try out today. Very easy to load but the process in backwards from the Factory magazine, however they shot excellent, every pellet almost dead center. This is my target for the day.

Rifle: Brocock Commander XR .177
Pellet: JSB Exact Match Heavy 10.34gr
Wind: 2 to 4mph

ThomasT
View attachment 352665
Were you the poster who said he practices 2 hrs every day? I like seeing the results from different days and weather conditions, same shooter.

(Thanks to all for posting printable targets!)

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Were you the poster who said he practices 2 hrs every day? I like seeing the results from different days and weather conditions, same shooter.

(Thanks to all for posting printable targets!)
Hello @jetpopt

It wasn't me, I do shoot a lot and almost every day but my time varies depending on the targets that I happen to be shooting and the weather.

This thread and quite a few on the Target Shooting Challenges topic on this forum have repeat shooters that you can check out.

ThomasT

It’s cold, rainy and blowing here today so I punched holes in paper inside my shop at 10M. The more I shoot this Crosman Challenger 177 the more it impresses me. My target circles are between .250”-.260” inside the rings. My buddy shot this rifle today too and he said it was the most accurate rifle he’s ever shot.

IMG_6743.jpeg
IMG_6744.jpeg

It’s cold, rainy and blowing here today so I punched holes in paper inside my shop at 10M. The more I shoot this Crosman Challenger 177 the more it impresses me. My target circles are between .250”-.260” inside the rings. My buddy shot this rifle today too and he said it was the most accurate rifle he’s ever shot.

View attachment 353095View attachment 353096
Hello @igolfat8

WOW! Man you shot right through those circles :ROFLMAO: . That is some accurate shooting, your rifle really likes those pellets. Glad the Challenger is shooting so well for you.

ThomasT

Thomas, Do you or anyone else know how far you can shoot wad cutters (indoors) before they loose their accuracy potential? I’ve not had much success with wadcutters outdoors in any light winds. At 10M indoors they are fantastic and I wondered if that’s about their max distance length before they loose accuracy?
@igolfat8 Wadcutters are designed to be shot at 10 meters (Olympic style 3 position). So they become unstable beyond that. They still may shoot acceptably out to maybe 20 yards or so. Most Olympic shooting is indoors in arenas with no wind.

• Love
Thanks Thomas but those are one of the least accurate wad cutter pellets that I’ve tried in that rifle and I was just trying to use them up. :p
Have you tried QYS Olympic wadcutter pellets? Amazon carries them. They are commonly used by Olympic shooters. My HW44 loves them at 7 yards.

• Love
I put a new Optisan compact scope on the .177 BSA R10 and sighted it in at 30 yds. Broke out the FX chrony and tried 5.7 gr lead-free H&N Trophy Target, Kaiser 8.35 lead round nose, 12.35 Howler slugs, 13.43 Hawk Thunder and 15.42 Gamo G-Hammer Heavy Weight. I also experimented with trying to backyard quiet the gun by taking off the stock shroud and moderator and put on a DonnyFL KOI and a 0db. The stock shroud and moderator is the quietest of all, by far, so if you decide to get one of these rifles from AoA no need to purchase another moderator. The 5.7 grain lead-free were the loudest of all at over 1100 fps. Next loudest were the 8.3 Kaisers at 940. The Howlers were very quiet a and deadly accurate at around 850 fps. The Hawks and Gamos were even more quiet at around 840. The Gamos were the most accurate of all. Very impressed with the consistency and accuracy. The Gamo Hammers and the Howlers would be my hunting choices. FPE was consistently between 20-22 with all of the pellets. Overall I am very happy with this little rifle.

GAMO.jpg

Howler.jpg

• Love
Thomas, Do you or anyone else know how far you can shoot wad cutters (indoors) before they loose their accuracy potential? I’ve not had much success with wadcutters outdoors in any light winds. At 10M indoors they are fantastic and I wondered if that’s about their max distance length before they loose accuracy?
Hello @igolfat8

What @rsfrid stated. I have shot lot of wadcutters indoors but only to 10-meters, however I have shot them out to 25- yards but they are not accurate.

ThomasT

Reactions: rsfrid
I have never heard of them but thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions for an accurate pellet for indoor 50’ paper punching?
Hello @igolfat8

The QYS are without a doubt the most accurate wadcutter that I have ever shot and the MOST EXPENSIVE.

Try RWS Super-H-Point Field Line 6.9gr ( maybe not a true wadcutter ) but very accurate out to 20-yards. I really like this pellet.

ThomasT

I have never heard of them but thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions for an accurate pellet for indoor 50’ paper punching?

I find these extremely accurate and packed well. I'm a Prime member so can order one box with free shipping. I tried the Olympic version which aren't as good in my HW44. This card was shot at 7 yards - 10 shots in group. Couldn't find a picture of the Match Grade results - group was tighter.

IMG_0866.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Took a break from my shop cleaning / rearranging project to shoot a few targets today. Near perfect conditions cool, clear skies, and most important wind 2-5mph.

@igolfat8 , I was thinking on this card how much fun it would be to get 4, 5 or more folks together all with Challengers for a shoot-out 😄 .

Rifle: Crosman Challenger
Pellet: RWS Super-H-Point 6.9gr
Wind: 2-5mph

ThomasT
Challenger .15.jpg

• Love
That would be a fun day @ThomasT . I ordered an assortment of .177 pellets and received them today. The wind was more calm this afternoon than it has been for quite some time (6 mph gusting to 14) so I decided to take my Challenger outside to 50’ and do some testing. Here are the two cards I shot. First one was with an assortment of Diablo domes and the send card was mostly wadcutters except for the two last rows where I tested the QYS domes again.

IMG_6752.jpeg

IMG_6751.jpeg

I made 197 shots on a single fill with air still left in the tank. I didn’t clean the pipe either so the accuracy could be a bit skewed but at least it provides me a baseline to do more follow up testing with a clean pipe.