What Paper Target Did You Shoot Today

Hello everyone,

Just messing around this morning shooting various targets and I changed ammo. I cannot remember if I have ever tried the JSB Match Jumbo 15.89gr pellets in this rifle or not, but they shoot as well as the 18.13gr. Very pleased with the results and will try them out on the 25-yard range next time.

Range: 10-Meters
Rifle: Brocock Sniper XR .22 caliber
Scope: Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 10-40x56
Pellets: JSB Match Jumbo 15.89gr
FPS:
FPE:
Wind: 5 to 10 mph

ThomasT

View attachment 478784
Great shooting! Glad you kept this rifle — it is serving you well.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Spent some time shooting my Ghost .30 @100Y the other day. It didn’t go well and I won’t bother to post embarrassing target pics :eek: I only had a couple sub MOA 5 shot groups. Tried 44g, 45g, 50g and 56g pellets. Had the lowest average with 50s. I also shot .22 and it was comparative to the lowest average of the best .30 but the wind played more havoc with the MRDs. Wind wasn’t horrible either. I’ve come to the conclusion that shooting pellets at 100 and beyond is a crap shoot, at least for me.

Spent some time shooting my Ghost .30 @100Y the other day. It didn’t go well and I won’t bother to post embarrassing target pics :eek: I only had a couple sub MOA 5 shot groups. Tried 44g, 45g, 50g and 56g pellets. Had the lowest average with 50s. I also shot .22 and it was comparative to the lowest average of the best .30 but the wind played more havoc with the MRDs. Wind wasn’t horrible either. I’ve come to the conclusion that shooting pellets at 100 and beyond is a crap shoot, at least for me.
Hello @igolfat8

😁 :ROFLMAO: I'm not laughing at you, I am laughing with you. I came to that conclusion a long time ago. Sometimes shooting at the gun range it is a bit hard to sense how far 100 yards really is. I will often watch someone walk out to the backstop to change a target and make a mental note how small that person looks "out there". Even when I am shooting a PB at 100 yards and I don't hit dead center on the bullseye, I try to remember what I am trying to do. It's HARD!

Shooting a small piece of lead projected with a puff of air is REALLY HARD at 100 yards.

So don't beat yourself up and go enjoy a beverage of your choice :ROFLMAO: and have a very nice evening.

ThomasT

Thanks @ThomasT

When Mike N calls 100Y “Pretendrest” it sure puts it into perspective. 50Y is realistic and repetitive while 100Y is a total crap shoot … at least for me.
100yds is A LONG distance! The only time I shoot well in .22 outdoors is, well, when there is NO WIND....😂👍, slugs help but POI is still a crap shoot!

Hello everyone,

Shooting some warm up paper targets this morning and I decided to try some of the JSB Match Jumbo 15.89gr pellets in the Reximex RP. On number 4 I was not paying close enough attention and let the gun go off of the regulator and three shots went low and two shots high. Refilled the air and put 5 shots on target #5.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Pistol: Reximex RP .22 caliber
Scope: UTG Bug Buster 3-9x32
FPS: ?
FPE: ?

ThomasT
Reximex RPA-113.jpg

I agree, but i can't stop trying:cry:
Did you just change barrels on the ghost to shoot both 30 an 22?
I am Waiting for the .22 LR barrel for the RTI to come in so i can try it at 50 and 100
Want to try the Beasts too at high velocity to see how they hold up ..was ok in the Epoch. but sometimes got a little squirrelly with spiraling.
then go an try the 25.4g pellets jsp/aea/jts at around 960? ..i think that's the speed
I have weighed and rolled the mrd's and can't explain the flyers. It's maddening when it goes so well for a magazine, then one flies to the outer rings...maddening.
It is a looong ways .. even a little wind, you hold off in an area that's risk/reward, and if not timed/judged at the right moment...well, we've all been there.
Can't imagine the wind for the RMAC event that just occured...you'd be holding off the board...crazy
Maybe i will wise up and discover what you gentlemen have already accepted ..100 is a crap shoot
but not today
Mike

I am Waiting for the .22 LR barrel for the RTI to come in so i can try it at 50 and 100
Want to try the Beasts too at high velocity to see how they hold up ..was ok in the Epoch. but sometimes got a little squirrelly with spiraling.
then go an try the 25.4g pellets jsp/aea/jts at around 960? ..i think that's the speed
I have weighed and rolled the mrd's and can't explain the flyers. It's maddening when it goes so well for a magazine, then one flies to the outer rings...maddening.
It is a looong ways .. even a little wind, you hold off in an area that's risk/reward, and if not timed/judged at the right moment...well, we've all been there.
Can't imagine the wind for the RMAC event that just occured...you'd be holding off the board...crazy
Maybe i will wise up and discover what you gentlemen have already accepted ..100 is a crap shoot
but not today
Mike
Hello @manabeknives

Oh poor ole Mike, please don't pull all of your hair out because of that 100-yard thingy 🤪. In time you will appreciate that 50-yard MOA target a whole lot more 😅😂🤣

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

Shooting some warm up paper targets this morning and I decided to try some of the JSB Match Jumbo 15.89gr pellets in the Reximex RP. On number 4 I was not paying close enough attention and let the gun go off of the regulator and three shots went low and two shots high. Refilled the air and put 5 shots on target #5.

Range: Outdoor 10-Meters
Pistol: Reximex RP .22 caliber
Scope: UTG Bug Buster 3-9x32
FPS: ?
FPE: ?

ThomasT
View attachment 479065
Thomas, great card! Yeah...I too forget about checking air pressure...I blame it on age and not me...😂

• Haha
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
I have my Bullshark shooting 13gr regularly, but I have a lot more 10.3gr right now. Trenier is out of 13 gr FX so I am conserving them.
This rifle is shooting the 10.3 @ 960 FPS, 13gr @ 860. So not optimum with 10.3

Range: Indoorr 10-Meters
Rifle: Stoeger Bullshark 177 in P35 Stock
Scope: Athlon Talos 10x42 fixed power
Pellets: Air Arms 10.3 gr
FPS: 960
FPE: 21
Wind: n/a

I have my Bullshark shooting 13gr regularly, but I have a lot more 10.3gr right now. Trenier is out of 13 gr FX so I am conserving them.
This rifle is shooting the 10.3 @ 960 FPS, 13gr @ 860. So not optimum with 10.3

Range: Indoorr 10-Meters
Rifle: Stoeger Bullshark 177 in P35 Stock
Scope: Athlon Talos 10x42 fixed power
Pellets: Air Arms 10.3 gr
FPS: 960
FPE: 21
Wind: n/a

Hello @Florida_Man

Looks like the Bullshark also like those 10's (y)

ThomasT

Reactions: Ranchibi
but not today
Mike
No I didn’t change barrels, just shot another gun I had with me.

I went out again today after pulling the .30 barrel, cleaning, polishing and waxing it. Then shot 50g JSBs at 100Y. I tried some pellets with bicycle chain wax and also some pellets with aerosol beeswax. The Beeswax shot worse than the bicycle chain wax and both shot worse than pellets straight out of the tin that I shot a few days ago. The ones straight from the tin averaged 1.4” over ten 5 shot groups.

IMG_8984.jpeg

I went out again today after pulling the .30 barrel, cleaning, polishing and waxing it. Then shot 50g JSBs at 100Y. I tried some pellets with bicycle chain wax and also some pellets with aerosol beeswax. The Beeswax shot worse than the bicycle chain wax and both shot worse than pellets straight out of the tin that I shot a few days ago. The ones straight from the tin averaged 1.4” over ten 5 shot groups.

View attachment 479166
Hello @igolfat8

That is getting very close to MOA, so not bad.

ThomasT

Reactions: manabeknives

View attachment 479166
yep..i recognize those kinds of groupings ..The groupings of frustration!!😤
it did take me multiple appilications of wax with intervals of shooting to get results that i was content with.
that one problem i noticed was that the wax needed to applied to a warmer surface so that it can penetrate and fill the small inconsistancies.
It works ok at room temperature, but i feel i was getting a better coating when i warmed to wax and barrel before application.
Right now, all i have to do is leave the barrel outside in the sun..it's HOT all over this country!!
From what i read about waxing, beeswax was not a favorite for results. i believe it wasn't hard enough to stay in place
a hard floor wax with carnuba or the miro-crystaline waxes were prefered
I think after a couple more applications of wax to the bore, an you will see the groups shrink ..or that's what i keep telling myself as i go through the process

View attachment 479166
That was good intel on lubing ammo vs str8 from tin (maybe lubed) ammo Tim!

Thanks for your reply Mike. So, you didn’t remove the barrel and warm it for subsequent waxing applications?

I have a lot more testing to do Randal and with PAC looming in the near future, time is waning. I think the bike wax performed better than the beeswax did but neither surpassed the groups and group average numbers shot direct from the tin. I didn’t shoot any straight from the tin today after the wax job. I think that will be my next battery of tests.

Thanks for your reply Mike. So, you didn’t remove the barrel and warm it for subsequent waxing applications?

I have a lot more testing to do Randal and with PAC looming in the near future, time is waning. I think the bike wax performed better than the beeswax did but neither surpassed the groups and group average numbers shot direct from the tin. I didn’t shoot any straight from the tin today after the wax job. I think that will be my next battery of tests.
Sorry for not mentioning that..
each time the barrel was waxed, it was removed from the rifle and warmed.
this was for better penetration and coverage
really burnish it in
replaced on rifle and shot out the wax til true ...was about 10-15 shots
than did another 100 shots and repeated
edit ..was using a cotton mop loaded with wax ..muzzle end was against a block to prevent the mop from exiting muzzle end, and i also taped off the distance on the rod.
did the waxing by 1/3 reloading on the wax when needed

Last edited: