What pistol did you shoot today

You might want one of these (KWC M712). It’s my go-to snake gun. Select fire BB pistol. A short full auto burst makes quick work of most any creepy crawler when I’m out hiking. I carry a few extra mags but have never had to use more than one

F3CEB44A-EB42-4BC9-ADC3-862120D688FE.jpeg

Hy-Score, low-scores...

Keen to try out my recent repaired rear sight on my cosmetically challenged 0.22 800 Target model, and since it lives in the same box as the 0.177 Phoenix 'assassin', that got an airing too.

Definitely "difficult to put down" but also bloody difficult to shoot too! It was quite gratifying to actually hit the target at all, I find them so hold sensitive with the slightest variation causing wild flyers.

Shooting at 10m, the Target model was much better shooting with a single arm hold, but this was about the best I could manage.
Ten shots with Mosquitos, which seemed to be the best pellet of the ones I tested. Tearing up the card though, so either the fps is quite low, or the crown is a mess. Things to investigate.

IMG_20240826_083333401.jpg

After a lot of deliberation I have decided to give it a spruce-up - strip down, polish and re-blue.

IMG_20240826_083529114.jpg

Recently acquired a new grip to replace the mangled original, which has really bugged me since I got the pistol.

This was the best with the Phoenix at 10m using Superdomes, two-hand hold, but also had some wild flyers.

20240826_093310.jpg

That is pure gorgeosity ( technical term ) now. Thanks for the before and after Modski. You are a pro. Be Well, Bandito.
Unfortunately is not a before and after, the US made 800 is still cosmetically challenged; the Phoenix is the UK made version which is pretty much in the same condition as when I bought it.

Looking on the bright side, the 800 is now in pieces, and I think I have found the cause of the low power...

20240826_181818.jpg
20240826_181849.jpg

I always thought that the piston seal was like an engine with metal piston rings, but this o-ring is hard and brittle with a flat outer surface. (I caused the crack when I removed it).

A new one will be on order soon!

Unfortunately is not a before and after, the US made 800 is still cosmetically challenged; the Phoenix is the UK made version which is pretty much in the same condition as when I bought it.

Looking on the bright side, the 800 is now in pieces, and I think I have found the cause of the low power...

View attachment 491388View attachment 491389

I always thought that the piston seal was like an engine with metal piston rings, but this o-ring is hard and brittle with a flat outer surface. (I caused the crack when I removed it).

A new one will be on order soon!
Yep, you found the problem. 👍
Now, there actually are some guns that have real metal piston rings …like the Feinwerkbau 65

FWB 65.
Near-zero kick thanks to that Luger-like top slide recoil action. You pull the trigger and seemingly nothing happens, but then you see the hole in the target.
The rebuild was more complicated than other air guns I've worked on, as this thing has more moving parts than a Swiss watch. And steel piston rings! Took heaps of pictures at each stage of disassembly and this proved invaluable to get it all back together.
It's relatively quiet and not all that powerful but the accuracy is incredible.
Not bad for an old springer :)

FWB_65.JPG

Shoot this early today, the 226 has a lot of recoil from the blow back action. My groups were so-so, I think it's my old eyes, lol. Just order a laser sights from Amazon and will see if I can shrink it down. 3+ inch at 15 yards is no go for me as a rat gun.

View attachment 491838
How do you like that P229? I was thinking about one of those

I had to reseal the Makarov. Apparently one of the valve seals on these is a known issue.
Got it back together today and it seems to be airtight again.
It's intended as a BB gun, but I have a hard time sending steel BBs through a rifled barrel so I hand feed it pellets only. And pellets bring the accuracy back up to a pleasing level.
Without BBs, the magazine follower sticks up into the gas flow. I still need to somehow lock that down (or just remove it) and block off the resulting gas-leak-path. Once that's all done, then the full blast of the CO2 will be driving the pellet and I'm curious to chrono that. If it's anything like the Schimel then it'll be pretty loud.

Baikal_MP-654K_Makarov.JPG

How do you like that P229? I was thinking about one of those
It's a work in progress, although a fun pistol, the accuracy is sub par to me. Looking at the barrel retaining system and liner tolerance. I may have to make a silicon bronze bushing for the barrel liner or a new longer barrel even and hide it with a fake can to get more fps.

It's a work in progress, although a fun pistol, the accuracy is sub par to me. Looking at the barrel retaining system and liner tolerance. I may have to make a silicon bronze bushing for the barrel liner or a new longer barrel even and hide it with a fake can to get more fps.
A longer barrel will definitely add fps. but you might not need that for added accuracy.
Improving the barrel retainer as you have suggested might be good enough (that worked even for my lowly KWC Luger and M712, both of which suffered from loose barrel shrouds).
I would be reluctant to attempt making it as accurate as a true target pistol, though .... I've done that and ended up with a frankenpistol that was neither fish nor fowl and consequently a disappointment.

A longer barrel will definitely add fps. but you might not need that for added accuracy.
Improving the barrel retainer as you have suggested might be good enough (that worked even for my lowly KWC Luger and M712, both of which suffered from loose barrel shrouds).
I would be reluctant to attempt making it as accurate as a true target pistol, though .... I've done that and ended up with a frankenpistol that was neither fish nor fowl and consequently a disappointment.
Just an update after I machined the action to tighten the barrel clamping on my Sig 226 co2 pistol. Much better groups from yesterday, but POI is way too low with open sights. Will have to lower the front sight. Laser sight is really good for this!

IMG_0803.jpg

Just an update after I machined the action to tighten the barrel clamping on my Sig 226 co2 pistol. Much better groups from yesterday, but POI is way too low with open sights. Will have to lower the front sight. Laser sight is really good for this!

View attachment 492068
I like it! Well done. I may yet get one of those