• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other What should I get?

I like the biathlon side lever. I’m thinking of getting some cross country skis and scooting around my Florida lawn to prepare for the Winter Olympics.

Since I shoot 99% of the time with a single shot tray with my Revere, it really doesn’t matter to me. I bought the Revere Safari because I don’t know what eye dominant my 5mon old son will have. I want to enjoy this rifle with him one day, and the Safari stock will ensure we can.

I would go with the regal over the side lever on this platform for looks reasons. I can't remember, is the regal available in a regulated model?

Huntsman Regal (2).jpg

I would have to add BSA R10 to that list. 🍻

View attachment 421179
Had an ultra SE and a Scorpion at one point. Nice guns, but they get a bit loud when the hammer is turned up. I couldn't get the actual action to be quiet when I had the power cranked. I guess it's that open hammer slot under the mag. Their shot strings had some curve to them I couldn't dial out and didn't want to go regulated. I do regret selling them sometimes.

I'm not opposed to a bullpup, but it must be foward side lever. I'd probably go big bore in a bullpup, 357/9mm most likely. The ataman M2R would be nice, but rear cocking. I guess in that platform, quick follow ups aren't really necessary lol.
The Caiman X if you can find one. up to .30 cal (mine is a .25)

Caiman Alteros.jpg

Caiman brown (2).jpg

I have a pretty wide variety of different air rifles, RAW, Daystate, FX Dreamline, FX Crown, AA S500, AA S510, LCS, Western Big Bore, EVOL, Taipans, Brocock, etc... And I have to say the Air Arms are second to none for fit and finish. Their bluing is outstanding and I would say the best looking rifle of all that I own, Not to mention that they are very accurate and shoot as well as my RAW's!!
If you are hunting, pesting and plinking, I would say you can't go wrong with the Huntsman/Revere or the Air Arms Ultimate Sporter. If you want to compete or shoot targets I would suggest a used RAW. You can pick them up 1300-1800 if you catch the right deal. Good luck on your decision and be sure to let us know what you decided upon!
Thx
Dan

P.S. I forgot to add if you want a terrific rifle that checks a lot of boxes, the MAC1/USFT can be found for about 1700 or so used and they are what I would consider an Heirloom type rifle to be handed down to generations. Seriously, not the most beautiful rifle but very good at what they do! I thought I would have mine forever but I had not touched it in over a couple years so a friend asked me if I was interested in selling it and I knew he would enjoy it and give it a good home! I would give serious consideration to a MAC1 if not already on your list. If you want a rifle that you only fill to about 1800 PSI and shoot it down to 1300 PSI and get 70 plus shots, very simple rifles and I know people that have had them 8-10 years and never had them serviced! So theres that too! But the MAC1 are heavy to shoulder.
Thx
Dan

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to a bullpup, but it must be foward side lever. I'd probably go big bore in a bullpup, 357/9mm most likely. The ataman M2R would be nice, but rear cocking. I guess in that platform, quick follow ups aren't really necessary lol.
For me big bore starts @ 35 cal.
I own 3 of them and they are a lot of fun to shoot. Ammo ain’t cheap for them especially the 452. The big thing with owning a big bore is keeping up with the air consumption. I currently have two 98cf bottles, a 75 and an 18 and keep them fed with a Coltri/Daystate MCH6 compressor.
I have to admit to being caught flat footed with the air the big bores eat.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
For me big bore starts @ 35 cal.
I own 3 of them and they are a lot of fun to shoot. Ammo ain’t cheap for them especially the 452. The big thing with owning a big bore is keeping up with the air consumption. I currently have two 98cf bottles, a 75 and an 18 and keep them fed with a Coltri/Daystate MCH6 compressor.
I have to admit to being caught flat footed with the air the big bores eat.
357 would be my limit. The difference between 22 and 25 is enough to show me what stepping up to 357 would take. I have a yong heng and a 3L bottle, but don't want to kill them either.

Plus, I do a lot of shooting in the backyard, and the larger guns are louder and way more powerful once you get up past the 40 cal area.

So if I were to be leaning towards the s510 carbine, where would I find one to buy? My googling didn't find me much.
I thought I read somewhere that Pyramid/Airgun Depot were the exclusive dealer for factory Air Arms. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Airgun Al
Your Air Arms S510 is a great choice. I had a S410 years ago, and it was a great rifle!
Id also recomend a FX, and since you prefer a traditional wood stock, Id go with the Crown, or Royale... IF you can find a new one.
Ive heard a lot of great things about the new, and inexpensive Avenger X, but not sure I like the wood stock version, and Ive never owned one.
Those would be my choices.
Congrats on the financial windfall!

Last edited:
So out of all the offerings mentioned, are any of these rifles good at slug shooting? Specifically the s510 and huntsman regal.

I don't do much slug shooting, but that's because my current guns don't like them.
I have a Revere in .177cal that loves ZAN slugs and H&N slugs. However you are seeking a larger caliber which I wouldn`t know. It is my impression that Daystate in generel shoots slugs quit well in all calibers.
I too was in your "shoes" some years back and ended up with a Revere. However the AA S510 was a strong candidate too and even to this day I still consider one to kill the brainfart. Another one you may want to look at too is the Steyr Hunting Challenge. I would say its the Rolls Royce.