What software do you use for gopro solomo videos?

make sure the vid is in a file format DiVinci understands.....

Windows, Mac, iPad? if on the iPad try Luma Fusion..... not free but its been good to me for a lot of tasks
Using DaVinci 19 free version on windows 11. Format is mp4. It will read normal video. But it will not read slowmo 240 fps. I guess they want us to pay $300 smh. Not gonna pay that. Guess no one know any free video edit software for slowmo video.

found this:

Final Thoughts About DaVinci Resolve Frame Rate​

In the final section of our DaVinci Resolve frame rate tutorial, we'd like to share some best practices for working with frame rates in DaVinci Resolve:

• To ensure a smooth workflow, it's best to determine your project's frame rate before starting to edit your video in DaVinci Resolve.
  • Let's take a real-world example where you shot most of your footage at 24 frames per second (fps) but also captured some slow-motion shots in 60, 120, or 240 fps.
  • In this case, when you begin editing, you can set the frame rate of your project timeline to 24 fps. Then, using the "Clip Attributes" feature, you can interpret the 60, 120, or 240 fps footage as 24 fps to achieve the desired slow-motion effect.

found this:

Final Thoughts About DaVinci Resolve Frame Rate​

In the final section of our DaVinci Resolve frame rate tutorial, we'd like to share some best practices for working with frame rates in DaVinci Resolve:

• To ensure a smooth workflow, it's best to determine your project's frame rate before starting to edit your video in DaVinci Resolve.
  • Let's take a real-world example where you shot most of your footage at 24 frames per second (fps) but also captured some slow-motion shots in 60, 120, or 240 fps.
  • In this case, when you begin editing, you can set the frame rate of your project timeline to 24 fps. Then, using the "Clip Attributes" feature, you can interpret the 60, 120, or 240 fps footage as 24 fps to achieve the desired slow-motion effect.

That is not the free version as I understand it. It could also be an issue with color bit depth.

couple last things, then Im out :)

Looks like Reddit has a decent DR subreddit.... according to some users there, the free version has a max frame rate of 60 fps. But someone mentioned a similar scenario as the OP, and the response was it could be a CODEC issue......

Have you tried Filmora, from GoPro? dunno if thats a freeware app or not, but since you filmed it on a gopro....... (oh yea, Windows 11 or less....)

https://filmora.wondershare.net/

free download button at the bottom of the page

Last edited:

Screenshot_20240916_200451_Chrome.jpg

couple last things, then Im out :)

Looks like Reddit has a decent DR subreddit.... according to some users there, the free version has a max frame rate of 60 fps. But someone mentioned a similar scenario as the OP, and the response was it could be a CODEC issue......

Have you tried Filmora, from GoPro? dunno if thats a freeware app or not, but since you filmed it on a gopro....... (oh yea, Windows 11 or less....)

https://filmora.wondershare.net/

free download button at the bottom of the page
Yes I have tried filmora. Since video will not work on DaVinci, I installed and tired filmora instead. It works and I was able to to upload the video. But when I export it, it ask you to pay. If you click on don't pay there is a huge watermarks in the center of the video. I guess nothing is free these days lol.

there seems to be a confusion about Davinci Resolve about the frame rate. You can import higher frequency frame rates (60, 120, 240, ...), even in the free version. But you cannot export them in frame rates above 60 fps in the free version. Which is no problem, because the point of slow motion is to slow it down. So you can i.e. slow down 240 fps to 24 fps, which gives you a 10x slow motion. Youtube is your friend, there are plenty of tutorials on how to do a slowmo. But be aware that Davinci is professional software, it'll take a little learning curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak
well my old camera ( Osmo action V 1.0 ) output slow motion as ready to go slow video. so only snipping off ends in post production.
I think my Insta360 Ace pro do the same, though it seem it want to " chew " a little on things after the recording, at least when it come to starlapse which i have tried.

But bringing camera to range today, ill see if i can remember to make a slow motion recording.

My primary video tools are old Powerdirector ultimate 17 and pinnacle studio ultimate 26, and now also using instas studio software
Also have Davinci installed, but not used it much.

Reactions: drpietrzak
240 fps is not "basic" at all. It's incredibly fast and it's not surprising that free editing software will not handle it well. Aside from the software, you will also need robust hardware (CPUs, RAM, GPUs) to process true 240 fps video if it is HD and reasonably high bit depth. The data rates at 240 fps are quite high.

Davinci is fantastic for color editing, but I've found it quite lacking for general video editing.

If you want one of the best, try Adobe Premiere Pro. It will handle everything (so long as your hardware is also up to the task, as mentioned).

In general, 240 fps (and often even 120 fps) can be a huge PITA to edit if you don't have the right software and hardware.

Yes the Insta Ace pro record strait to slowmo video, recording 1080p at 240 FPS, and output video is 30 FPS 1080p

Dont look terrible good though, but in my test ( throwing the camera into the air a few times ) at sunset, well do not bode well, but even in good light conditions cameras dont really do this super well.
The Ace pro recording 4K at 120 FPS, for a not so slow slowmo,,,,, that is really nice, but here you do need to work the raw footage in a editor to get slowmo.
And even my PC get spanked. 12 / 24 core threadripper CPU / 48 GB RAM ( 16 Gb died ) and AMD 7800XT GFX card.

Davinci do use all it can, my powerdirector and pinnacle only use the CPU for processing, the insta studio also use all it can get it hands on

Last edited: