What springer did you shoot today?

Today was a stander benchmark test for me and “The Whooper.”

Averaged about 5.25 moa over 5x 5-shot groups at 20 meters. 14 of the 25 shots at least broke the edge of the 1” bull.

Quite pleased with that.

IMG_4821.png
IMG_4819.jpeg

Forty one years ago, my deceased friend introduced me into "adult precision air guns" and he was sold on the FWB124D. Well decades later, I took the plunge and purchased one and I must say that it's a true shooter from the past. I took it out on yesterday for a little trigger time and I must say again, it's still a true shooter from the past and a real keeper!

Forty one years ago, my deceased friend introduced me into "adult precision air guns" and he was sold on the FWB124D. Well decades later, I took the plunge and purchased one and I must say that it's a true shooter from the past. I took it out on yesterday for a little trigger time and I must say again, it's still a true shooter from the past and a real keeper!
That was my first adult air gun, 49 years ago. I have had new seals and springs twice over the years. A short time after I got it I put one of the Williams receiver sights on it then about ten years later one of the Beeman blue ribbon scopes. The scope stayed on it about 30 years, and I went back to the receiver sight and have been enjoying it more that way. it just handles better with iron sights.
Today I played with a little FWB 65 pistol I got a year or so ago, I actually got two, and was comparing them a few nights ago and noticed the rear sight was set extremely high, I had not noticed that before. I then noticed that the little front sight blade was very tall, so last night I filed it down quite a bit and it allowed me to shoot with the rear sight lowered. I shot it a little after church this morning before it really started heating up outside, now about 95, we got lucky and a "cold" front came through last night and dropped the humidity by about 20% making it more comfortable outside, but still too hot to do anything outside now. I have been refreshing the grips on those two and a couple of the more advanced FWB 80 pistols. It was amazing how much grime was in the stippling on those grips, I scrubbed them with mineral spirits until it was coming clean, then allow them to dry and applied a few treatments with some tung oil diluted in turpentine. They look good now with the wood grain showing better and prettier. Also did a couple of HW35e rifles and a custom stock on a HW 77.

Trying to get the old 766 to group at 40 yards was fruitless..lol. The old powerline 4X15 scope is pretty terrible, milky and blurry, and not even sure what the parallax is, if it even has any.😂
Here's pic of what it looks like, not quite this bad because the camera wouldn't focus but it ain't much better..
IMG_7174.jpeg

Here the best I could get with falcon 7.33's at 40 yards rested and off the sticks, I tried both ways.
IMG_7180.jpeg

IMG_7182.jpeg

IMG_7181.jpeg

I've got a new Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 coming tomorrow and it will probably end up on my 97K. I plan on putting it on the 766 to see if it makes any difference. At least I'll be able to see whats going on down range. And maybe there's a better pellet for the 766 also.✌🏻

Hi guys!

Yesterday I finally had the motivation to get my Diana 48 back into service. Last time I shot it, the Williams Peep had migrated far enough reward that it split out a small piece of the stock.

*sigh*

So, I re-positioned the sight so it anchors against a grub screw in the sight base. The sight is now nice and stationary. Had to re-fit inlet in the stock to accommodate the new sight position, and glue in the missing piece.

IMG_4826.jpeg

Got her out today for a fresh zero and some stander practice. Wow, simply wow. The shot cycle is not the nice kersnick of the Vortek kit in my HW77, but for such a powerful (mostly stock) magnum springer, it is a joy.

The trigger is so light, with the cleanest break, and has enough over travel to get the pellet out of the barrel before you bottom out the trigger. You feel a deep buzz erupt from the rifle and the pellet is gone. It’s not an awful twang like a stock HW, mind you. It feels much better than that. Like the difference in a massage chair and a mis-hit on a baseball bat.

With the William peep and a 0.075” rear aperture, she’s a woods slayer when paired with the JSB .177 heavies.

Here’s my last 5 shot standing group of the day. 20 meters as always. I hate using pasties. Whenever I re-use a target, I always put down a killer group and it looks like I cheated. But alas I’m running low on target cards and stick n sees. So you’ll just have to trust me I guess.

IMG_4827.png

Thanks for reading!

-Delta

Hi guys!

Yesterday I finally had the motivation to get my Diana 48 back into service. Last time I shot it, the Williams Peep had migrated far enough reward that it split out a small piece of the stock.

*sigh*

So, I re-positioned the sight so it anchors against a grub screw in the sight base. The sight is now nice and stationary. Had to re-fit inlet in the stock to accommodate the new sight position, and glue in the missing piece.

View attachment 485841

Got her out today for a fresh zero and some stander practice. Wow, simply wow. The shot cycle is not the nice kersnick of the Vortek kit in my HW77, but for such a powerful (mostly stock) magnum springer, it is a joy.

The trigger is so light, with the cleanest break, and has enough over travel to get the pellet out of the barrel before you bottom out the trigger. You feel a deep buzz erupt from the rifle and the pellet is gone. It’s not an awful twang like a stock HW, mind you. It feels much better than that. Like the difference in a massage chair and a mis-hit on a baseball bat.

With the William peep and a 0.075” rear aperture, she’s a woods slayer when paired with the JSB .177 heavies.

Here’s my last 5 shot standing group of the day. 20 meters as always. I hate using pasties. Whenever I re-use a target, I always put down a killer group and it looks like I cheated. But alas I’m running low on target cards and stick n sees. So you’ll just have to trust me I guess.

View attachment 485840

Thanks for reading!

-Delta
Dog wants to hunt.🐕

Storm coming in later this week so I had get the mowing done, then mount up the new Hawke 2-7x32. As suspected it went to the 97 first, 766 will have to wait..lol.
This is the first Hawke scope I've ever tried and it seems to be a really nice scope for $125. The 97 feels like a different rifle with this little light weight scope on it.
The reticle is a little thicker than I'm used to, it almost covers a 1.0" KZ at 40 yards, so too thick for precision aiming, but nice none the less. Glass is pretty good for what it is, we'll see how it hold up.
IMG_7194.jpeg

Got it mounted right before dark, after zeroing at 30, I shot "four" 5 shot groups at 40 yards benched on the caldwell bags, at a fairly quick pace.
IMG_7197.jpeg

Here's a blurry pic thru the scope, it's really clear and sharp in person. This is at 40 yards on 7 power.

IMG_7192.jpeg

✌🏻

Ok, so after scoping the .22 cal HW30S I want real pleased with the accuracy even at just 20ish yards. Today I polished and cleaned the barrel. I never did this since purchasing it new, I just pulled it out of the box and started slinging lead. Well, I can say that the accuracy improved greatly! It could be that my springer technique is coming back but either way I’m getting the pellet holes to touch now. 🎯😎🤠

Shot a few more groups this evening before all the rain is supposed to be here. 40 yards and benched again on the caldwell bags with the 97K
and the new Hawke 2-7X32 turned up to 7 power.
IMG_7195.jpeg

Groups numbered in order that they were shot, there was a little wind. Shooting at 9/16" red circles, the reticle all but covers the circle up.
IMG_7201.jpeg

The last group number 6 was shot thru the 1.0" KZ on my squirrel field target after shooting the paddle down. There was a split on the last shot which made the big hole. Also a big hole from the pellet ricochet when I shot the paddle down.
IMG_7200.jpeg

✌🏻